Why become a member? ×

Why can't I find a band?!?!

bassist_lewis

Hi all, bit of a moany post but I don't do them very often so grant me one. Most of the original bands I've been in have come about through gumtree and all have petered out fairly quickly (if they got going at all). Am I going about it the wrong way? Do I just pick the wrong people or should I stop trawling the net and just wait til a meet people in real life?
Cheers guys

you'll have to start one yourself and control it (within reason) ie, arrange rehersals, do the promo and get the gigs pretty much yourself if you want "the band" to keep going, members can be replaced, but unfortunately the playing bit in a sucessful (ie for most people that means gigging) band is just a minor part. Most bands don't really get off the ground because most musicians are pretty lazy and can't be arsed to get it togeather and sort the boring stuff out.

The most success I've had with finding peeps to form bands with that have had any longevity, is to go to open mic/jam nights in pubs/cafés/artys-fartsy venues.
Not sure if you can do this where you live but getting the chance to meet and hang with folk in person is always great for feeling each other out and making sure you start a band with the right people with like minds in the first place.

Hope this makes sense as I've just woke up and can't find any coffee :-P

Thinking back over the years....(but that's a different thread), what's worked for me is spending time hanging out where other musicians hang out. Open-mics, jam nights, gigs, music shops, trade shows etc. . Through networking with people I've met great new friends and got involved with some great music projects. I'm confident at talking to strangers but I know that's not the case for everyone. On the mobile version I can't see where you live or your age, these are factors that might make it easier or harder to find a band. Although, since you posted at 7:24am I'm guessing you're not a teenager.

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1408516695' post='2530837']
Thinking back over the years....(but that's a different thread), what's worked for me is spending time hanging out where other musicians hang out. Open-mics, jam nights, gigs, music shops, trade shows etc. . Through networking with people I've met great new friends and got involved with some great music projects. I'm confident at talking to strangers but I know that's not the case for everyone. On the mobile version I can't see where you live or your age, these are factors that might make it easier or harder to find a band. Although, since you posted at 7:24am I'm guessing you're not a teenager.
[/quote]
25 yrs old and located at "the Desk".
Sorry, but I was never good at geography

The online thing can work. I met a couple of guys through bandmix about 5 years ago who I'm still playing with, although having said that we also found our fourth band member that way too and she was a total nightmare...

Going to open mics is always good but often the people who frequent those things are only really interested in playing solo, but on the plus side they are usually habitual songwriters. Also get to know your local promoters, who will know all the gigging bands in your area and may be able to put you in touch with bands needing a bassist. I spent ages looking for a turntablist here in York, didn't think there were any, then found one through a promoter I know and he's worked out really well.

I put another band together a couple of months ago but it was all through musicians I know, or people that they knew so it was a network thing. Open mics are good as you can ask people, even guitarists, if they know a drummer, keys, singer etc and just put word around. Also acknowledge that it may take a few stabs to get the right mix of people, don't be afraid to kick out someone early on if they are not pulling their weight. We got rid of our singer a few weeks ago as he constantly turned up at rehearsals not knowing the lyrics, coming in at the wrong places etc. He was using rehearsals to learn the songs so he got the boot. As it turns out we found another singer within a week and he is much better, more dynamic and enthusiastic, so all round a better situation.

I personally avoid trying to put a band together via the internet, too many dreamers who like the sound of being in a band but have no intention of ever making much effort. If you have a local music school (like evening lessons for adults, not recorders for kids) it would be worth asking them too as they often have decent pupils looking for a band to join.

Cheers,
Rich

All but one of the bands I've been I have found through actual personal contacts. In only one case (FaR) I took a speculative punt on an online request for a bass player, got the gig and I'm still in the band nearly 2 years later. It can happen, but it's probably more good luck than anything else.

[quote name='bassist_lewis' timestamp='1408515166' post='2530827']
Hi all, bit of a moany post but I don't do them very often so grant me one. Most of the original bands I've been in have come about through gumtree and all have petered out fairly quickly (if they got going at all). Am I going about it the wrong way? Do I just pick the wrong people or should I stop trawling the net and just wait til a meet people in real life?
Cheers guys
[/quote]

I think it can be tougher if you want to be make original music - finding people on the same wavelength can be hard, especially if you're trying to do something a bit unusual.

All the orginals bands I've been in (I've never really been in any covers bands) have, quite naturally, come to and end after a while - people move away, their tastes change, the band has run its course, etc...all good reasons in the end.

All I can say it keep at it - keep trawling gumtree and other sites where people advertise, get you own advert up and keep plugging away.

It can be frustrating, especially during the summer, but try not to be disheartened.

Edited by ahpook

All of the above is good advice. There are three abilities that will get you constant work and none of them are to do with musical ability. The most important is the ability to network, go to the places musicians hang out and talk to people, listen to them carefully and store up their knowledge and share your own. If they know there's a bassist going spare and one of their mates needs a bassist... Equally if you can help them a bit with a contact they'll remember you and pass you on more often.

The second ability is the one in shortest supply with musicians, organisation. I'm a crap bassist but a born organiser, Book rehearsal spaces, gigs, run the PA and lights, blow noses carry spare fuses and wipe their little bums at times. I play with people much better than me and so far no problems finding a band.

The third ability is self awareness, what are you actually like to work with and what are you looking for in a band? Know your own strengths and weaknesses especially personality traits and work with them. Also recognise what you are prepared to compromise over and what is a sticking point for you. the more you are prepared to compromise the more desirable you will be as a bandmate. Originals bands are always going to be tricky as it demands big egos. If one of you wants to write power ballads and the others metal it really isn't going to work. If you are open minded and respectful of other peoples tastes it can work better.

OK musical ability does matter, but there are so many talented and skilled people out there that it takes other skills to get out of the bedroom.

To me, artistic type people, and I would say people who write songs come into that sort of category can be clueless at business
and you need to have a bit of a plan. You also need to find what motivates people to play and a few of the solid motives
are ego, money and 'respect'. Without one of them, you will probably come across a lot of people who will just waste your time.
I know this is a much banged drum but personally I find money the best thing to base the enterprise around as maybe more people dance to that tune. You need to find the 'drivers' for the people you meet and those drivers need to be tangible. Some dope-head who can't get himself together is not going to be a core band mate you can rely on.
So, players need to have transport and gear and the wherewithall to pay for rehearsals. Then you need to be thinking about getting paid gigs or at least expenses. Most gigs worth doing always often have an angle to get expenses. Music costs money so that is always a factor.

Around here, startup and original bands can actually 'promote' their own gigs with a few pubs IF they recognise they have to bring people in to buy drinks. These bands may not be that good... but if they can get 50 people in between 2 or 3 acts then the LL, on a down night will likely love them and even give them their own slot. This very thing happened the other day in a local music pub and the LL gave them £80 or so and they were made up. They had a really good night and they were buzzing from it. It was good to see and also a bit of a life-lesson
to see how the real, maybe 'f***-up' world tends to work.

So, get 'pro'-minded people in who are keen and will be able to do what they commit to... and spot who the complete wasters are.

As Phil Starr says, technical ability on your instrument is probably the least important factor of being in a band that actually does something.

Organisational skills and songwriting ability (if your not doing covers) are far more important in getting into and staying in a band.

And stop looking on the internet for bands that's a passive activity. Be pro-active and get out there. Go to gigs talk to other musicians. Any lazy bum can stick an ad up on an internet site, but it takes some drive to actually get out there and do some face to face networking. That's what will set you aside form the internet wannabes.

And if I can be playing in bands for almost 40 years anyone can do it. Nottingham is hardly a thriving hotbed of musical activity, I'm a very average musician, and have pretty definite ideas of the kinds of music I want to play and I have never had any problem finding like-minded people to play with.

This:
[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1408515869' post='2530829']
you'll have to start one yourself and control it (within reason) ie, arrange rehersals, do the promo and get the gigs pretty much yourself if you want "the band" to keep going, members can be replaced, but unfortunately the playing bit in a sucessful (ie for most people that means gigging) band is just a minor part. Most bands don't really get off the ground because most musicians are pretty lazy and can't be arsed to get it together and sort the boring stuff out.
[/quote]

And This:
[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1408516231' post='2530835']
If you do start a band, keep it small. I was in a 9 piece band a couple of years ago and trying to get them all in the same room for rehearsals was like herding cats. We had one gig in 18 months.
[/quote]

Someone really does need to be the driver of the band. Make it 'your' band. It can be a lot of work doing Gig bookings, Rehearsal bookings, Promotion, online media, artwork etc.. but it needs to be done by someone in the early stages.

And as gjones said, keep it small. Getting 4 people to rehearsal and gigs is hard enough!

Been going through this process recently. Nightmare. Myself and a friend who is a rhythm guitarist had been jamming and decided to get something going. Went through multiple crap guitarists who claimed to be brilliant, but found a keen drummer pretty quickly. Met the drummer for a jam. All went well, then he introduced us to a new lead guitarist. Had a jam again, all good. But as soon as we left the jam room it all fell to pieces, both the drummer (although we've since discovered he's in about 50 bands) and the guitarist were the worst communicators ever. Set up a facebook group to talk band stuff and when we asked about availability for rehearsals this Thursday, FB would tell us everyone had read the message but we never ever got a any response without harassing them to almost death. So we got rid.

Now jamming with a guy who I've known for years and his brother. I know they are reliable, and his brother is a beast on the guitar so it's worked out well (so far). My advice would be always go to people you trust won't let you down. Even if they aren't as good musicians as other possibilities. Generally a dedicated, trustworthy person will be willing to put in the time to improve on their instrument anyway, whereas a very talented waster will do nothing but waste your time.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1408528982' post='2531006']
Why is it always drummers that are so hard to find? far fewer people must play drums than other instruments or it wouldn't be so difficult to find a good one....
[/quote]

I can find drummers at the drop of a hat, it's guitarists and vocalists in particular I can never find.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1408528982' post='2531006']
Why is it always drummers that are so hard to find? far fewer people must play drums than other instruments or it wouldn't be so difficult to find a good one....
[/quote]I wonder if this is down to the logistics of the instrument for gigging or the ability to learn without alienating those within earshot. It certainly can't be down to the actual appeal of beating the skins; let's be honest who doesn't feel the draw of the kit when your drummer has temporarily vacated his stool?

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1408529430' post='2531011']

I can find drummers at the drop of a hat, it's guitarists and vocalists in particular I can never find.
[/quote]Really? Go to your local high street and lob a brick, you're bound to hit a few ;)

I found my current band though 'join my band'. I ended up managing the band as well as playing bass (mixed blessing, but someone has to do it), and had to sack the person who originally advertised for a bass player, since when the band has gone from strength to strength. As said many times in this thread, if you want t to work, be prepared to to the spade work yourself, most people shy away from it.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1408529604' post='2531015']

I'll trade you a vocalist (OHSC, passive, light relic) for a drummer with cash your way?
[/quote]I'm sorted for a drummer thanks and my vocalist is staying right where she is ;) (no way I'd trade any of my band, they're all awesome musicians and nice people too).

Back OT, when I started playing bass I went to various jams and got some interest, but I got my initial bands from ads on the various sites dedicated to this purpose (Bandmix, etc). My current band was from people I knew previously from other bands and folks they knew; networking again. It's not always easy to make those first few contacts (especially if you're not particularly confident talking to complete strangers; something that becomes easier with age I have found) but once you've met a few people, if only to jam with down at the Dog & Duck, then you're likely to be introduced to other musos looking to form bands.

I've just posted this elsewhere but it's kinda relevent here too.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1408534639' post='2531096']
Thinking about it... Maybe it would be a good idea for us all to have a thread somewhere on BC for bands to search for bass players in their area. It would have to follow a simple structure to be searchable by the forums software something like.

Username : CamdenRob
Genres : Blues, Electro, Icelandic Throat Singing etc...
Available for new projects : Yes
Youtube / Soundcloud clip : www.????

Basically a little Bio of all our members. Don't want too many fields or it'll become unwieldly, plus no-one cares what gear people have or how old they are...If everyone posted in that thread a band could search keywords and return a set of matches for people in their area....

[/quote]

Edited by CamdenRob