Why become a member? ×

The Aging Local Rock Musician

blue

Age doesn't matter - I'm just a whipper-snapper @ 43 but I'm enjoying playing more now than ever and have no plans to stop.

Played a fundraiser gig as a favour to a local Legion club that was struggling to fix the roof - average age of the audience was in the 70s including the 30-40something reprobates we dragged along...

Turns out they loved bit of Green Day and AC/DC.

Hitting 50 has made bugger all difference to me.

I still run circles around younger band members when it comes to lifting and shifting kit.
Having over 30 years of playing experience under my belt grabs the attention of younger musicians and singer songwriters when they have a space that needs filling.
That 'space' is usually bass related, but not always.

I don't wake up with aches and pains after a gig and my drinking days ceased about 20 years ago, so no hangovers either. :lol:

Although I'm primarily a folk and roots musician, I play in a rock band and a functions band and the only raised eyebrows I get are related to 'how the hell did he do that?'

No problems here. :D

This might be a cultural or just an age thing.But for you single guys over 60, do you remember when being in a band scored big points with women. Now it seems like if your in a band they want nothing to do with you. And younger women think being in a band is a joke.

Blue

On the London Pub Rock scene in the 70s you'd hardly ever see anyone over 35. Nowadays in pubs they are nearly all OVER 35. Seeing someone in a band over 60 wouldn't even raise a comment now.

Most of the people i know who have given up playing in bands have now bought motorbikes.

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1408395225' post='2529831']
This might be a cultural or just an age thing.But for you single guys over 60, do you remember when being in a band scored big points with women. Now it seems like if your in a band they want nothing to do with you. And younger women think being in a band is a joke.

Blue
[/quote]

One of my oft-related 'quotes'...

Sex 'n drugs 'n rock 'n roll.. Fine. Rock'n'roll..? Plenty of it. Drugs..? They're there if you want 'em. When, though, does the sex stuff start..? :blush:[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1408383792' post='2529667']
Very cool,

I'm not sure our 29 year old female front and lead guitarist is interested in learning anything from my experience.

I'm certainly open to what I can learn from the younger generations

Blue
[/quote]

First off, if that's you in the picture (and not your son :D[size=4] [/size][size=4]) You look 10 years younger than your age. [/size]

[size=4] [/size][size=4]I'm 62, will be gigging next Friday, Saturday and Sunday and will have done 5 gigs and two rehearsals in 9 days. I'm not saying I won't be tired but it definitely will be fun. I don't do this for the money although that is nice, so fun is the only excuse I need. I'm the baldest and oldest in the band but luckily, the most talented by far ;) well that's what I tell them anyway.[/size]

[size=4]The only change that my age has brought (apart from aches and pains) is that I don't attempt to lever myself into black stretch jeans and tight T-shirts any more. I try and dress a little more befitting my age these days. Other than that, nothing has changed.[/size]
[size=4] [/size]
[size=4]You're a long time dead my friend so enjoy it for as long as you can.[/size]

Im 68, the guitarist in my main band is 69 and we play 40 to 45 gigs a year for the last 20 odd years. I also play in two other bands, which gives me another 20 odd and I still work full time

I still love it as much as I ever did although standing is sometimes tiring, as is lugging equipment.

The biggest drawback is I cant get a YOB bass.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1408396273' post='2529851']
First off, if that's you in the picture (and not your son :D[size=4]) You look 10 years younger than your age. [/size]

[size=4]I'm 62, will be gigging next Friday, Saturday and Sunday and will have done 5 gigs and two rehearsals in 9 days. I'm not saying I won't be tired but it definitely will be fun. I don't do this for the money although that is nice, so fun is the only excuse I need. I'm the baldest and oldest in the band but luckily, the most talented by far ;) well that's what I tell them anyway.[/size]

[size=4]The only change that my age has brought (apart from aches and pains) is that I don't attempt to lever myself into black stretch jeans and tight T-shirts any more. I try and dress a little more befitting my age these days. Other than that, nothing has changed.[/size]

[size=4]You're a long time dead my friend so enjoy it for as long as you can.[/size]
[/quote]

Thanks, but I only photograph a little younger than my chronological age. Face to face I look all of 61, no big deal. However, it brings up another part of discussing "The Aging Local Rock Musician" I don't go out of my way to look old where I see a lot cats my age do. I don't try and dress like a 20 year old but I also don't try and think too much about what a 61 year old should wear or look like.

Blue

Edited by blue

[size=4]My young singer, 43 has a (now sadly departed) cousin C[font=arial, sans-serif]iff Crockett who was playing drums till 100. Pretty amazing drummer - [url="http://www.shropshirestar.com/entertainment/2014/02/02/shropshire-centenarian-cliff-drums-up-a-birthday-bash/"]htttp://www.shropshirestar.com/entertainment/2014/02/02/shropshire-centenarian-cliff-drums-up-a-birthday-bash/[/url] Some vids are on youtube as well - Severnside Jazz band. This sets the bar I suspect, so at 55 I am just starting and have a way to go (I hope).[/font][/size]

Edited by 3below

I don't think it makes any difference how old you are.

The Stones are still rocking around the world, as is McCartney, David Gilmour, Sting, Tony Levin is 68.

I'm 37, but I fully intend to carry on playing for ever. I'm vegan, don't drink or smoke, I do yoga and meditate, all with the aim of being able to do what ever I want, for as long as I can.

:)

Edited by ambient

The other thing to consider is why on earth [u]should[/u] old musicians give up playing. Don't we just get better and better the more we play, at least until physical restrictions kick in?

Besides, is there anything better than seeing and hearing a bunch of 'old farts' at the top of their game, effortlessly and absolutely nailing whatever they play?

It's all about the music!

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1408404930' post='2529942']
...is there anything better than seeing and hearing a bunch of 'old farts' at the top of their game..?
[/quote]

Yes! I want to see smooth-skinned, svelte young hotties writhing about - I don't care if they're crap at playing. :lol:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1408400246' post='2529914']

Thanks, but I only photograph a little younger than my chronological age. Face to face I look all of 61, no big deal. However, it brings up another part of discussing "The Aging Local Rock Musician" I don't go out of my way to look old where I see a lot cats my age do. I don't try and dress like a 20 year old but I also don't try and think too much about what a 61 year old should wear or look like.

Blue
[/quote]
I agree. I don't think about what a 61 year old wears either but to try and look like a young Billy Idol when you're 35 years too old for it can look ridiculous.

A few years back, I saw a couple of ex big name rock guitarists playing to backing tracks in a pub. Probably for about £150 between them knowing the pub. They were serious players and would have been just as appreciated had they not been trying to recapture the days of their youth with clothes that were 16 sizes too small for their physiques.

I try to make an effort on stage dress-wise but it needs to be comfortable. That's really what I meant.

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1408408091' post='2529956']
I try to make an effort on stage dress-wise but it needs to be comfortable. That's really what I meant.
[/quote]

These days I wear big pants and elasticated waist-band trousers... but I did anyway back in the 70s, so does that mean I'm dressing inappropriately??

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1408408468' post='2529958']
These days I wear big pants and elasticated waist-band trousers... but I did anyway back in the 70s, so does that mean I'm dressing inappropriately??
[/quote]

:lol:

Probably just means a complete lack of self respect (in the 70s). What was wrong with purple flares with the paisley inserts, I'm convinved they will be back in fashion soon so hanging on just in case...

[quote name='BurritoBass' timestamp='1408384495' post='2529676']
I'm 41 & like a naive young fool
[/quote]

And so you should be you young whippersnapper!

By the way, where can I get a pipe holder for my headstock?

Edited by dincz

I know what Blue is saying.
Although i'm 38 the last time I was on stage in front of a crowd I felt a bit uncomfortable.

I used to play in alternative rap metal/thrash bands & back then I had a very low stooped stance with my hair draped forward, i also moved around lots making eye contact with the crowd and used to gee them up by bouncing around and had lots of energy, some people said it was my thing & people always knew it was me by the way I stood and moved on stage.

I did a small gig last year with a new band who needed a stand in. I am now balding & felt very old. I felt strange because I lacked the confidence to stand like i did back then & was aware of that feeling that "Your too old & uncool" .

It knocked my confidence badly & when I got offered the role of being their full time bass player, I turned it down because I felt too uncomfortable to get back up on stage. My mates who saw me play that night knew something wasn't right but didn't comment.

I keep thinking about that gig & all I remember is feeling very self aware, bald & old. I didnt really enjoy playing and was very seriously about to hang up the bass & walk away. I've since then thought about how stupid I was being but I do understand the mindset of the OP.

First and foremost, if you are a good decent human being and a decent musician it doesnt matter how old you are. I am 31 and play in two bands where everyone apart from the singer is over 60. They are good guys, good sense of humour and very immature, so it really isnt noticeable.

If you dress sensibly and dont try and wear what 20 year olds wear and look smart then noone is going to think "grow up old man" or "your too old for that". My dad was a prime example, hes a keyboard player and is now 68. He never dressed like an old person but never tried to wear the latest trend. He just kept to a good pair of jeans smart pair of boots and a good t-shirt or shirt when he played and he never looked out of place with people 20 years younger than him.

Basically dont act or dress like a 20 year old and likewise dont dress and act like your average 60 year old. Be friendly, approachable, have a good sense of humour and play well and it wont matter how old you are, you will still fit in and look ok on stage IMHO.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1408404522' post='2529937']

The Stones are still rocking around the world, as is McCartney, David Gilmour, Sting, Tony Levin is 68.

:)
[/quote] And the last time any of them carried a 4x12 up a fire escape in the pissing rain was.....? !!!! I'm nearly 53. The youngest in Doc B. Few aches and pains but why worry? What it means is I have 35 years experience and my energy is focussed rather than raw - which means if we're on a bill with a band of 20 year olds they're more likely to be in bother than we are. I won't go on forever but not because of age - it'll be because I've done it loads and want to do something else. I'm aware a lot of younger folk in an audience look at us warily if they don't know us but so long as we continue to have them dancing on tables by the end I don't really give a sh*t !