Why become a member? ×

Sharay Reed vs Pino Palladino.

bubinga5

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1407675446' post='2522828']
Agreed. TBH I was a bit surprised about the 'female bassist' thread as I thought we'd moved beyond that sort of irrelevance. Would a thread about favourite black bassists go down well? Or how about favourite bassists under 5 ft tall? Or favourite cross-dressing Korean bassists? Er, hang on . . . . .
[/quote]. I have learned a lot more about female bass players, and it is the first time i have heard of Sharay Reed, so they have been educational

They're both great, how can you compare? Both have a deep pocket, know their position in the band and just generally groove flawlessly.

If anyone has made a playlist of both players on spotify I'd love to listen to it. Atm, I'm running out of things to listen to from these 2!

Yes..alright player. I've seen that video a few times and it doesn't blow me away one bit.To me, it sums up what I
don't enjoy about the whole Gospel Chops thing.

People clearly dig it...great. I don't. No problems.

Edited by Doddy

It's a bit like one of those philosophical conumdrums - you know, if a tree falls down when no one is there, does it make a sound?

If an artist makes stuff that no one likes, what is the point of their 'talent'?

Fortunately, with 7 billion people on the planet, there's bound to be quite a few people that will like whatever someone plays, so popularity contents can ensue. But imagine playing stuff that [u]no one[/u] liked? What would be the point? Could they even be classed as having any talent at all?

Still, plenty of art 'experts' have been fooled by chimps so perhaps therein lies the answer. :D

Sharay's clip is cool - jamming along to a jazzy gospel track.

In comparison, here are album credits where Pino has played bass. Bear in mind that this doesn't include his live performance credits:

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/pino-palladino-mn0000292499/credits

Edited by kevin_lindsay

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1407735090' post='2523375']
Sharay's clip is cool - jamming along to a jazzy gospel track.

In comparison, here are album credits where Pino has played bass. Bear in mind that this doesn't include his live performance credits:

[url="http://www.allmusic.com/artist/pino-palladino-mn0000292499/credits"]http://www.allmusic....0292499/credits[/url]
[/quote]

A bit disingenuous, if I may say so!! A quick check on the net shows that Sharay Reed is credited on around 60 albums, including his solo one.

I could easily have posted a youtube video of Pino Palladino playing a cover version (e.g. where ever I lay my hat - and we all know the low opinion that some people here have of cover artists), and then put in a link to Sharay Reed's credited albums.

It's all rather silly anyway. It's not a competition. Some prefer Pino, some Sharay, some love them both, some hate them both.

[quote name='pierreganseman' timestamp='1407704924' post='2523250']
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pATcvr3zAhg
alright player? :D lol really?
[/quote]

I nicked alot of his licks from this video. Must've watched this over 1000 times ! Immense Groove !

Edited by icastle
Link Fixed.

Pino. His playing on Mama's Gun kills anything I've ever heard sharay reed play. And that's before you take into account his versatility, musicianship, longevity, heritage and extensive credits... Oh, and the fact he doesn't read dots but can quote stuff like Stravinsky in his lines (where I lay my hat). His listening and ability to soak up musical influences are incredible. Pino is a different league to pretty much everyone.

Edited by skej21