Why become a member? ×

The Worst Bass Lines to Play EVER!

Weststarx

"Fight for your right to party" , doing soon at a wedding as the last song in what I consider one of the best sets I've been asked to play, horrible way to end a gig for the bassist , but then again it's not about me

Played "America" and "she's so lovely" as a dep recently, those 2 songs make me fall asleep mid gig

Ah, and "sit down"

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1407142217' post='2517609']
If the song is crap. then play with guys who can pep it up... or discuss
how you can make it work better.
That is what rehearsals are for...not to learn the thing, but to make it work.
[/quote]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I agree with this. Just playing the right notes isn't enough, how well can you groove with your drummer and guitar(s) on a track like OWOAnother? [/font][/color]

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1407215847' post='2518371']
"Fight for your right to party" , doing soon at a wedding as the last song in what I consider one of the best sets I've been asked to play, horrible way to end a gig for the bassist , but then again it's not about me

Played "America" and "she's so lovely" as a dep recently, those 2 songs make me fall asleep mid gig

Ah, and "sit down"
[/quote]
Ah Fight for your Right, used to play it the same as the guitarist then realised you just play A (in the key we play it in) over the guitar riff and it rocks a lot better, I break the monotony by doing the shouty backing vocal great fun, if the song sounds better with a simple bass line that's good enough for me

I like a simple line as it gives me a break from staring in fixed terror at the fretboard for the more complex lines! "Gimme all your lovin'" is a particular favourite, 3 note progression but drives the song and gives me a chance to shake the ol' booty and yell backing vox.

Wow you guys! I've seen a fair few covers that i play in here, and I enjoy playing them all!
These boots... its a great tune, although we rock it up a bit - and the guitarist and I exchange sneaked in Led Zeppelin riffs throughout. I never get bored of this song though, simply because the audience are always mad for it.

For me though I don't imagine any bass lines are ever boring. Some are simple, yes - but that means I get to have a bit of a dance, relax, recover from hit me with your rhythm stick, look up from the fretboard, listen to the band, have a giggle at random madness in the audience - or on a particularly slow night have a chat with the guitarist.

All in all, it's good to remember that whilst you might not like the song, or the line you're playing in it, you are doing something you love in front of people who generally appreciate what you're doing. If you're not, maybe you should go and do something less boring instead!

My mum used to say to me "only boring people get bored"

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1407241024' post='2518642']
Wow you guys! I've seen a fair few covers that i play in here, and I enjoy playing them all!
These boots... its a great tune, although we rock it up a bit - and the guitarist and I exchange sneaked in Led Zeppelin riffs throughout. I never get bored of this song though, simply because the audience are always mad for it.

For me though I don't imagine any bass lines are ever boring. Some are simple, yes - but that means I get to have a bit of a dance, relax, recover from hit me with your rhythm stick, look up from the fretboard, listen to the band, have a giggle at random madness in the audience - or on a particularly slow night have a chat with the guitarist.

All in all, it's good to remember that whilst you might not like the song, or the line you're playing in it, you are doing something you love in front of people who generally appreciate what you're doing. If you're not, maybe you should go and do something less boring instead!

My mum used to say to me "only boring people get bored"
[/quote]
Yep got to agree with you brensabre.
The OP asked what was the worst bassline not the simplest, the one I dislike playing is No More Heroes, I love JJ's bass playing Hanging Around, Walk On by the list goes on, but for some reason that one just doesn't do it for me

Edited by PaulWarning

[quote name='Kevsy71' timestamp='1407229554' post='2518458']
I like a simple line as it gives me a break from staring in fixed terror at the fretboard for the more complex lines! "Gimme all your lovin'" is a particular favourite, 3 note progression but drives the song and gives me a chance to shake the ol' booty and yell backing vox.
[/quote]+ 1 lol

[quote name='winterfire666' timestamp='1407515984' post='2521426']
Paranoid - i love black sabbath but that song is just crap but for some reason everyone loves it, soooo dull to play.
[/quote]
try doing the Dickies version twice as fast over in half the time and a lot more fun too

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1407108024' post='2517479']
Rebel Yell by Billy Idol manages to be boring and difficult all at the same time. Difficult because it's so bloody fast it makes my fingers bleed.
And don't tell me I should try using a pick or I shall get grumpy. :-(
[/quote]

I didn't know Grumpy played bass??!!! :)

[size=3][color=#000000][font=Calibri][size=4]We do both “Chasing Cars” (Snow Patrol) and “She Sells Sanctuary” (The Cult). Unfortunately, despite the somewhat minimalist bass playing required on these songs I rarely get to relax on them because the drummer, guitarist and singer in my band all have a poor sense of time-keeping/rhythm, so it’s always down to me to be constantly on the alert to try and hold the whole thing together and avoid train-wrecks.[/size] :([/font][/color][/size]

Edited by Krysbass

[quote name='Krysbass' timestamp='1407931053' post='2525420']
[size=3][color=#000000][font=Calibri][size=4] the drummer, guitarist and singer in my band all have a poor sense of time-keeping/rhythm, so it’s always down to me to be constantly on the alert to try and hold the whole thing together and avoid train-wrecks.[/size] :([/font][/color][/size]
[/quote]

This hardly seems ideal....or fair. [i]Every [/i]band member has ( or should have..) his/her part to play with regards timing. It sould not be left to you alone.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1407935605' post='2525480']
This hardly seems ideal....or fair. [i]Every [/i]band member has ( or should have..) his/her part to play with regards timing. It sould not be left to you alone.
[/quote] [font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000] [/color][/size][/font]

[size=4][font=Calibri][color=#000000]I totally agree - in fact because of this I've already hooked up with another band of players who take more responsibility for their part in proceedings! I just need them to start averaging a couple of gigs per month for me to complete the move.[/color][/font]

[color=#000000][font=Calibri]The new band also play “She Sells Sanctuary” as well as a load of other stuff that’s fairly basic bass-wise. But in this outfit no-one is hung up about keeping 100% to the original, so there’s plenty of opportunity for each of us to improvise a little and have a moment in the spotlight – which helps keep even the most mundane song interesting. [/font][font=Wingdings][font=Wingdings]J[/font][/font][/color][/size]

Edited by Krysbass

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1406924656' post='2516019']
Anything by snow patrol or coldplay, boring.
[/quote]

Oh god no
I don't think that I can think of a worse couple of artists to cover. I've had a big falling out with a guitard in a previous band after refusing to play anything by Coldplay.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1407932608' post='2525435']
Not much you can do about poor time. It would be a deal breaker for me.
[/quote]

Me too. Id be looking for a new gig straight away.
Everyone should be responsible for their own timekeeping to some degree although I find it's always best blame drummer if things go awry.

• 2 months later...

We occasionally do 'Blackout' by the Scorpions \m/ and I used to find it really dull. Not wanting to disappoint other band members or punters, who for the most part really enjoy that sort of thing, I stuck some 2 handed tapping arpeggios in it. Now I'm not bored with it anymore.

I do, however, look like a bit of a twat. Hey ho.