Why become a member? ×

The Worst Bass Lines to Play EVER!

Weststarx

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1406928746' post='2516089']
'One Way or Another' is another one...
[/quote]

What....am I playing it wrong or something....I really enjoy playing that one, sure it not overly complex but compared to something like Your All I have by Snow Patrol it's a proper bass line

Struggling with many of these posts as the songs mentioned may not have the most complex bass lines but they pretty much are all crowd pleasers and dance floor fillers

C'mon guys isn't this what we do ??

Playing loud music on a Saturday night to a full dance floor who are singing their heads of to million plus selling songs from a range of brilliant artists from the last fifty years and getting paid to do it !!!

Not exactly the worst job in the world is it ?

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1407083903' post='2517153']
This thread just seems to be another list of numbers people don't like.

IMO the only "worst" bass lines are the ones that are badly played.
[/quote]

This.

If you don't like the number, why are you playing it. If it bores you, try to put your stamp on it. If you can't, chuck it out.

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1407105729' post='2517462']

This.

If you don't like the number, why are you playing it. If it bores you, try to put your stamp on it. If you can't, chuck it out.
[/quote] Thinking about the weddings scene in particular, sadly sometimes we don't have the luxury on the choice of music! Typically I am either out voted by the majority in the band if challenging a number I don't like, or it's been requested by punters as a wedding first dance (some being so bad that I have erased from my mind), or it's on the set list when depping at short notice for other bands... I agree though that a little self signature is always a bit more gratifying on a tedious track. But heck if the monies right I'll play Justin Beaner or whatever his name is note for note :P

For a different take on it, I don't like the solo bass bit in C-Lo Green's Forget You, before the unison part with the keys.

Sticks out like a sore thumb and doesn't suit the song IMO - it's like they forgot to write a part for that section and then just jammed something in at the last minute.

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1407105729' post='2517462']
....put your stamp on it....
[/quote]

+1

I have no problem playing numbers and bass lines I don't like. Jack Bruce jokingly says he's there to make the rest of the band sound good. I agree with that and it's also my job to make any number we play sound good.

As long as the rest of the band is good, the audience likes what we are doing and the gig is going well, I can just stand back and enjoy my tone and locking with the drummer. And even if none of those are true, i'm getting paid to put on a good show. I know I'm professional enough to ensure that no one else will know what my opinion of the material is.

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1407108024' post='2517479']
Rebel Yell by Billy Idol manages to be boring and difficult all at the same time. Difficult because it's so bloody fast it makes my fingers bleed.
And don't tell me I should try using a pick or I shall get grumpy. :-(
[/quote]

A lot of finger players find fast 8 type passages hard, 'Dakota; is a typical example, as
they can't get it to run as smooth and driving as with a pick which would make it easy
as it is a simple up and down stroke.
Playing 8's smoothly with alternating fingers is one thing.... but when the line is exposed
with no gtr double, it is doubley important.
A cheat would be to use a single digit pluck...

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1407142055' post='2517606']
A lot of finger players find fast 8 type passages hard, 'Dakota; is a typical example, as
they can't get it to run as smooth and driving as with a pick which would make it easy
Playing 8's smoothly with alternating fingers is one thing.... but when the line is exposed
[/quote]

Don't mention Dakota - my band wants to do that next!! :o :angry: :P

Seriously though, thanks for the tip.I'll give it a go, though I don't know if my single digit is up to it. :unsure:
Funnily enough I've been trying (for my own amusement) to play the intro to Bombtrack by RATM, and found myself just plucking with one finger. That is BLOODY fast though, and I'm never likely to have to do it for real!

Ah, dear old Dakota. The modern Mustang Sally for the Oasis generation. Done it in at least 3 bands now. The problem with it is if you start messing about with it too much in an attempt to 'put your own stamp on it' it invariably ends up with embelishments and runs that aren't in the original and before you know it you're playing all over some of the subtleties of one of the guitar lines. The current band has its own way of doing it arrangement wise and it goes down well but I don't over-egg it too much basswise, it doesn't really work. It also seems to be favourite by leader to do as a soundcheck so I end up playing it twice every gig!

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1407142055' post='2517606']
[/quote]

We play Dakota sometimes.
I just use two alternating fingers and it works fine.

No reason why it shouldn't, IF you can play smooth and steady which was my point.
A lot of pick players I know will delight in the fact that a few finger style players can't play it
rock solid from 1 which is the essence of the part.

I always regard songs like Dakota as a bit of a break :)

There aren't bass lines I don't like playing, however simple, but there are songs I don't like playing. Unfortunately when the rest of the band want to it'd be a case of continually looking for another band. Democracy sucks

[quote name='Raslee' timestamp='1407103939' post='2517449']
I find 'Higher & Higher' tedious...particularly as i was requested to put in less fills ;)...'Hit the Road Jack' is a bit ploddy too, great tune though.
[/quote]
I don't mind the bass part for 'Higher and Higher' but I find it impossible to play that and do the backing vocals - the mixture of rhythms is too complex for my little brain.

I'm not sure, we did suspicious minds on sat and I tried to do as many daft fills as my ability allowed on the G's of the outtro (I'm no Jerry Scheff) and there were a couple of old boys at the front who seemed to be enjoying it enormously. I had them down as probable proper players who were pissing themselves at my cackhandedness though...