Why become a member? ×

Marking equipment as yours ?

ambient

[quote name='2004gdavi' timestamp='1406218843' post='2509465']
Had my bass built with my name on the headstock.
[/quote]

I made my own bass (not just constructed from parts) unique shape, put my name on the headstock, gave it serial no. 0001 too.

It still got nicked and it never turned up. Some other stuff from the theft did, at the local cash converter but the police said they would probably have chucked my bass in the river or burned it when they saw the serial number.

These days i buy vintage Fenders and put fake Westfield decals on ;)

Write on my name and date of birth with a UV pen in places out of sight. I then take detailed photographs of the instrument showing unique features (wear etc) so that they match the visual of the bass if it's stolen. I scan receipts and email all this information to myself as close to the date of purchase as possible. I then get insurance so that it's covered for theft and I can prove what was stolen if needs be thanks to the info gathered early on.

Saying that, all of my basses are roadworn so I doubt they look worthy of theft next to the shiny stuff the other guys use!

Putting these tracking sim cards into a cheap phone is getting popular with the Classic car scene, if you are doing a full rebuild you can even weld one in and run a discreet feed to a charger and leave it there forever, only a clued up thief will run an inline ammeter to see if there is any load on the positive battery feed. velcro'd to the rear seat panel behind the petrol tank on a mini works great as its a task to remove the tank for example.

There is no reason why you could not stash one in a speaker cab or better still a combo that charges when ever the amp is plugged in?

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1406162326' post='2509002']
All of the above are great for identifying the bass if it does get pinched but are they a deterrent as the OP states?

Are there any real deterrents for an opportunist thief?
[/quote]

I think Linear's stream of urine approach has the added benefit of being a deterrent.

This was on Kickstarter a while ago. They're sold out now but it looks pretty neat: http://www.thetileapp.com/

You get a little tile that I think doesn't need charging (do check though) and you can pop it anywhere. I reckon it could fit under a pickup or behind the electronics. It's Apple only so if you're an Android fan like me you'll have to look for something else. Range is limited to there being another Tile user near the item though so you'd need a lot of market saturation for it to be truly useful. Hmm, not as good I first thought then! Worth looking into still I think.

Fear of theft is the reason my 73 Precision stays home most of the time. No way I'm taking it to the sort of toilet we usually play in. Instead I bought the blueflower jap precision and put dice knobs and forward tuners on it with beer bottle labels under the clear scratchplate which is perfectly adequate as a bass and ridiculously distinctive - who's gonna half inch that ?! Even if they do - it's worth a fraction of what the 73's worth in money terms and there's no comparison when it comes to what's precious to me. One idea I've toyed with is having my name and number engraved on the neck plate - those blokes that make ID discs for pet collars don't charge the earth. At the end of the day - if Benny Fitt-Scrounger and Clamydia Potnoodle are clucking for strips they're gonna have it away whatever you do - so the best thing is to just guard against it.

Edited by Dr.Dave

Would it be possible to fit a pet tracker chip somewhere? If they are small enough to insert into your pet they should be relatively easy to hide in your equipment. Not much of a deterrent though, but should assist recovery.

The best deterrent is probably a big wheel clamp type of thing. Or drill a big hole through it so you can use a bike lock

I don't think those pet chips are trackers, just a form of intentification for when they are found. If they are found.

Is gear theft really such a big thing for non-touring bands where gear is rarely left unattended? I can understand the risk of leaving gear in a van somewhere or studios being broken into, but for gear normally kept at home and only taken out for a gig at which the owners will usually be in sight, I wonder if it's a real problem.

I don't bother with insurance for my gear and have probably saved enough in premiums over the years to pay for anything that might get stolen - even if I bought brand new.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1406285516' post='2510120']
Fear of theft is the reason my 73 Precision stays home most of the time.
[/quote]

Same here - I have a stunt Jazz (a Squier CV with upgraded pickups) that goes to any dodgy spots and my 85 MIJ Fender Jazz stays at home.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1406288087' post='2510173']
I don't think those pet chips are trackers, just a form of intentification for when they are found. If they are found.

Is gear theft really such a big thing for non-touring bands where gear is rarely left unattended? I can understand the risk of leaving gear in a van somewhere or studios being broken into, but for gear normally kept at home and only taken out for a gig at which the owners will usually be in sight, I wonder if it's a real problem.

I don't bother with insurance for my gear and have probably saved enough in premiums over the years to pay for anything that might get stolen - even if I bought brand new.
[/quote]
Convicing pragmatism - well convinced my anyway

And yes, pet tags are identification only - but useful for the rottweiler I'm going to train to stand watch over my gear...

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1406288321' post='2510182']
Same here - I have a stunt Jazz (a Squier CV with upgraded pickups) that goes to any dodgy spots and my 85 MIJ Fender Jazz stays at home.
[/quote]

Seems such a shame not to gig favourite/valuable instruments for fear of having them stolen. Hardly worth having them. :(

Edited by flyfisher

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1406289965' post='2510208']
Seems such a shame not to gig favourite/valuable instruments for fear of having them stolen. Hardly worth having them. :(
[/quote]

It is indeed a shame, but I know I'd be heartbroken if it got stolen or damaged, so needs must when the devils gets his bus pass out...

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1406289965' post='2510208']
[/quote]

Is gigging the only use for an instrument..? Seems a rather odd notion to me. :unsure:

Every little helps I guess, but these UV makers are so common now that any half intelligent thief is going to have access to a UV lamp and a bottle of white spirit.

It can't always be avoided of course, but it's far better to lock that stable door whenever you possibly can.

Most of the thefts reported here are from vehicles before\after a gig, that's opportunist.
Leave someone you know guarding the car\van, or lock it in between trips and that opportunity is lost.

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1406291389' post='2510228']

Most of the thefts reported here are from vehicles before\after a gig, that's opportunist.
Leave someone you know guarding the car\van, or lock it in between trips and that opportunity is lost.
[/quote]

You could get one of these;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqB6uM2hRpo

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.