Why become a member? ×

Ebay bass scam

[color=#282828]The guy had the same bass for sale elsewhere, same pics, same wording in the ad. I bought it and he signed a letter saying the bass was toured by him and played by Adele (he is the guy in the Letterman video unless he has a twin). The bass and case I own have the same marks on the case and grain showing through the paint. Not sure how he can sell the same bass twice. I've contacted him through ebay, but no reply as yet.[/color]

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Precision-Bass-57-reissue-Toured-with-and-Played-by-ADELE-/151345817853?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item233ce9e8fd"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item233ce9e8fd[/url]

Edited by starman

He had an ad on ebay at the same time, which ran until the end of the listing and I thought he had forgotten to cancel it. When it ended he renewed it again (a few days ago, I've had the bass for three weeks).
To be honest It's a great bass, I'm happy with it and I'm convinced that the bass in the ad is the bass I've got, but I'd hate someone else to get scammed thinking they were buying something that may not be what it seems.

Edited by starman

It's interesting how he has only 1 feedback but nothing for over 12 months, and then he sells this. He may look like the guy in the Letterman program but you don't get a really good look.

There are no really good pictures of the bass in the ad. No closeups of distinguishing marks.

I recon you should report him to ebay. I think it's a scam.

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1404634514' post='2494229']
In the second picture (with Adele) it looks like the bass has been super imposed on to another picture Photoshop trick?
[/quote]

+1

Really bad photoshop, looks like he used paint.

i would only entertain it if he was prepared to meet in person to check the bass is all ok and verify he is one and the same as in t'video before any agreement for a sale or any payment was made

edit - buy a good squier and drop a wizard in it and save yourself 800-900 beer/gas tokens ;)

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='WarPig' timestamp='1404638480' post='2494270']
+1
[/quote]

Why would she be playing a guitar chord shape on a bass like that? Looks veeeery iffy...

The picture of her playing the bass is real. It does initally seem a little odd but zoom in and I can't see any evidence of photoshopping.

Further, the picture is in this article:

[url="http://www.glidemagazine.com/hiddentrack/review-adele-the-wonder-ballroom/"]http://www.glidemaga...onder-ballroom/[/url]

The above notwithstanding, this looks very scammy indeed. If you like the bass then no issue, but I wouldn't count on it being the one in that video! Report to eBay and Gumtree for sure, though.

Edited by Kev

[quote name='WarPig' timestamp='1404638480' post='2494270']
+1

[/quote]

Doesn't look in the least like it's been altered and I do a LOT of digital image post-processing. You can analyse the image using this site http://fotoforensics.com/ and it doesn't show me anything suspicious. Having said that the photo of Adele (or whoever the woman is) serves no purpose whatsoever in terms of proof that the instrument offered for sale is one used by her; the image quality just isn't good enough; the bass she's holding could be any of hundreds sold with that spec.

On the Adele pic you can just make out some grain showing as a white line going to the bottom of the top horn throughout the body if you know what to look for. That appears on my bass and on the pic on ebay if you blow the pic up. The case in the pic is also the same as mine, the pocket tag has curled, and on the edge by the handle there is an airport bar code sticker that is peeling off. I'm 90% sure the bass I have is genuine. There are lots of better videos of the guy playing this bass on Youtube so I'm convinced he is the guy I met.
To be honest I'm not an Adele fan and I got the bass for a good price, It's just annoying that he can advertise the same bass again.

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1404640178' post='2494285']
i would only entertain it if he was prepared to meet in person to check the bass is all ok and verify he is one and the same as in t'video before any agreement for a sale or any payment was made
[/quote]

I did and he was.

As said, if you are happy with the bass then its no issue anyway! Just perhaps take caution selling it on as Adele's bass if you do decide to sell ;)

Either way, he is trying to sell the same bass twice (he has probably already sold a number under the same guise before yours) so I would report him.

[quote name='Nibody' timestamp='1404666913' post='2494561']
eBay does auto relist unsold items. Just a thought.
[/quote]
Only if you choose the re-list option on ebays Selling Manager.

If you don't use that option the item will not be re-listed automatically.

Edited by BetaFunk

I just found strange that i could clearly see the shadow of the headstock on the back wall but it didn't seam to be any sign of the background guitar player's shadow (especially the head) neither Adele's. Appart from that it doesn't look photoshoped to me... maybe Adele does like to play chords on a bass using it all the way to her right side and even doesn't need the right hand to pluck the strings... Tapping master, that's what she is! ;)