Why become a member? ×

Do you guys ever get pee'd off with JUST being the bass player?

Highfox

Maybe it's just me at the moment?
Went into record our first Album a couple of weeks back. We have been together a couple of years and all the songs are written by the singer/ rhythm guitarist.
Straight forward Blues/Rock stuff, 2 guitars, bass , drums and vox.. We got most of the fundamentals down (14 songs) in 3 days.. we had worked and got it all well arranged beforehand.
I just now feel a bit out in the cold, the lead guitarist has gone back in to do solo overdubs as well as more rhythm guitar and also added some acoustic guitar, (layering the songs!).. The drummer goes back in to add some percussion etc. I'm just feeling a bit left out as I got the bass bits done pretty quick.. I didn't overplay at all and left room for the music to breathe a bit. I was under the impression from the other guys that it was to be a reflection of our live rough roots.

Maybe I just have to wait till the mixing starts to get more of an idea about which way the guys are trying to move our sound.
Has anyone been there or able to relate to what I'm trying to say?

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1404243423' post='2490785']
What's this "just" business? :lol:

Do you not have an equal say in which way the sound moves?
[/quote]

Lets see..
I will try.

I guess I'm just a bit peed-off atm .. did some live recording for the radio last week with another band and you couldn't even hear the bass, wouldn't DI me and only picked the bass up through the drum mics :( . I bit my tongue as I didn't have the energy to argue it anymore.. might as well of stayed at home lol.
So I'm a bit sour with it all atm.

Edited by Highfox

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1404243861' post='2490791']
What's all this 'overdub' business..? Our guitarist would love to spend the day doing multitrack takes but he's just not allowed. We won't record anything that we can't reproduce[size=4] live - for better or worse. :)[/size]
[/quote]
That sounds the right way to be to me .
We have all earned the money to pay for the recording by gigging, so I think I will put my foot down.

[quote name='ambient' timestamp='1404243895' post='2490792']
So you've played and recorded the bass parts, now they're mixing, arranging and producing it ?

:)
[/quote]
I'd say you got off lightly. You shouldn't have to do much to the bass track if it has been recorded properly. Hanging around listening to endless overdubs!

we used to do a deal at our local recording place. 75 quid i think it was for 3 hours. The guy just mic'd us up and we played away like that. As you say it was just as we played live except maybe the mix was a better etc. I don;t get all the overdubs etc unless it's a show case record that you're hoping to sell for a small fortune lol.

Edited by gadgie

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1404243257' post='2490783']...Has anyone been there or able to relate to what I'm trying to say?[/quote]

Who is the music producer for this..? Has it been discussed..? Is there a third person, from outside the group, calling the shots..? Were overdubs et al budgeted, and if not, who is paying for them..?

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1404244346' post='2490796']
We have all earned the money to pay for the recording by gigging, so I think I will put my foot down.
[/quote]

You should! We tried all the overdub shenanigans before and the recordings ended up overblown and overproduced. Then we got used to the recordings, so when we came to play the songs live it sounded (to us) like they were missing something and this negatively affected our performances. The guitarist suffered in particular as he had overdubbed solos and extra rhythm tracks...
...oh, wait... ;)

Edited by discreet

I'd say that's pretty much the norm as far as recording is concerned - multilayered bass is just overkill.

I'll sometimes be asked to add some extra tracks with a different instrument (usually something obscure that nobody else plays), but generally only get involved again at the mixing stage.

Thanks for all your post thus far.

No producer, only an engineer at the moment, it's a hobby band and it's still in the process of being recorded. The engineer will mix it and then we'll get it mastered by another guy..
To be fair to the guitarist, he has had to come up with 10 or so solo's that he's been happy with... I just don't like the idea of all the layering.
I'm just worried he'll leave no space in the music and it will end up being the over produced bollox, that Discreet hinted at.

I just guess I have my idea's and I'd like to have more control over what's going on. It's not the easiest of bands to get along with.

As lots of people have said to me, I should start my own project someday.

I play both drums and bass. In real terms, unless I'm producing I'm in first.. then that's it.. bye!!

If you're still there re-doing your parts, you've done it wrong.

drums and bass are the foundation, without that, the house falls down. The guarist, keys and vocals are the walls and the roof.

Don't forget that

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1404252198' post='2490899']
Get a double bass, you can spend at least 3 full days just trying to get a useable sound without terrible feedback :D
[/quote]

Hee, hee. Just stick a hoover in a wardrobe, turn it on, and record that instead.

I used to get peed off with just being the bass player, but that was back in the day when I didn`t really take it that seriously. Now I do I no longer have any interest for guitar or vox - tho as part of vocal training in our band we all do a couple of songs at practice to keep the voice strong. These are not for public consumption though!

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1404246037' post='2490819']
No producer, only an engineer at the moment, it's a hobby band and it's still in the process of being recorded. The engineer will mix it and then we'll get it mastered by another guy..
To be fair to the guitarist, he has had to come up with 10 or so solo's that he's been happy with... I just don't like the idea of all the layering.
I'm just worried he'll leave no space in the music and it will end up being the over produced bollox, that Discreet hinted at.
[/quote]

It does seem a bit surprising to me that with a 2 guitar band, he'd be doing a lot more overdubbing.

When I uses to do originals at the hobby level as you say I was just the bass player, but I'd often be the one making suggestions that got used regarding arrangements etc.

Sounds like you should try to work on a song / arrangement of your own and have some input if it's something you are looking for

Nothing wrong with just playing bass, but you have to be really into what your playing on in my experience

I wonder if the insecurity of being "only" the Bass player is the reason we tend to take on other tasks, such as being the general handy man and carrying spares of stuff for the whole band (I even used to make sure I carried fuses rated for other band members' amps)? Or are we just inherently sensible? The Bass player is important but there is little glamour in it, but it is a job that needs doing. I suspect we naturally gravitate to jobs in things like IT as opposed to doctors or firemen for the same reason.

I am probably talking bollocks.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1404252198' post='2490899']
Get a double bass, you can spend at least 3 full days just trying to get a useable sound without terrible feedback :D
[/quote]

lol Pete. I did play a fretless on a couple of tracks.. not the same I know.. I guess I could of played up the intonation a bit more :)

I would have stuck around to ensure having a key role in the mixing. People can take and also waste a lot of time doing endless overdubs and there comes a time when less is more. However adding or tidying up solos and backing vocals is understandable. If you're all contributing equally financially, then if individuals are becoming over extravagant with time they are basically spending everyone else's money - something to bear in mind.

However it's very useful to stay involved - although you're 'just the bass player' it's useful to bear in mind that as with defenders and goalkeepers at football (they are often the captain) you see everything going on around you, something the singers and lead instrumentalists don't so even if you're not playing anything just being there you can make a contribution.

I hope it turns out how you want. You're paying as well as being a band member so you have as much right to be happy with the outcome as everyone else.

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1404283639' post='2491016']
I would have stuck around to ensure having a key role in the mixing. People can take and also waste a lot of time doing endless overdubs and there comes a time when less is more. However adding or tidying up solos and backing vocals is understandable. If you're all contributing equally financially, then if individuals are becoming over extravagant with time they are basically spending everyone else's money - something to bear in mind.

However it's very useful to stay involved - although you're 'just the bass player' it's useful to bear in mind that as with defenders and goalkeepers at football (they are often the captain) you see everything going on around you, something the singers and lead instrumentalists don't so even if you're not playing anything just being there you can make a contribution.

I hope it turns out how you want. You're paying as well so you have as much right to be happy as everyone else.
[/quote]
Thanks dr.. wise words and I'll make sure I do that.

[quote name='skidder652003' timestamp='1404281822' post='2491001']
Make sure you don't get lost in the mix now you're not around!
[/quote]

One reason I used to hang around in the studio even though I had done my bit. You need to be there to say 'the bass is getting lost' about every thirty minutes. Or maybe more often... ;)

There are three of us and we all have equal weight in what goes on with us. Even when recording the drummer had perfectly valid suggestions for hat I should play for some parts and we trid them and they stuck cause they sound ace.

IMO if you aren't being listen too, and they disregard you as 'you are only the bass player' it's time to leave.