Why become a member? ×

No More Limelight Fender Decals

discreet

Now that we've discussed the intricacies of logo usage and whether Mark at Limelight should or shouldn't use it, I think it's about time we forget all about this issue now and get back to discussing the wonderful basses Mark is producing.

At the end of the day Mark himself knew that Fender logos being used on his bass would eventually pose an issue, he's now removed them from his headstocks, giving the buy the ability to add his own should he please. I don't mind having a Fender logo or a limelight one, or even having it blank, it's a trivial matter when the playability, quality and tone of the bass is the most important things to consider and what basses are judged on.

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1403876650' post='2487353']
Any time I see someone playing an apparently ancient, dinged-up bass with Fender on the headstock I assume it's a replica. That's how far things have gone.
[/quote]

Depends on the gig, but I generally agree with this.

I've heard that most major bands (of the arena-filling sort) that favour vintage instruments usually gig with replicas and keep the real items in safe storage, just for studio work. Makes sense given that most arena/festival PAs aren't going to do justice to the tone, regardless of when the instrument was made. And not least to reduce risk of damaging irreplaceable antiques whilst on the road.

Generally, if I spot any band sporting 70s-looking guitars I tend to believe they're the real deal. Anything from the 60s has me questioning, just because of the price involved. That is if I get close and am sober enough to start spotting details.

[quote name='JamesBass' timestamp='1403880508' post='2487402']
...the playability, quality and tone of the bass are the most important things to consider and what the basses are judged on.
[/quote]

Yes. If they weren't good basses the decal issue would have been moot - as no-one would want to buy them anyway.

[quote name='lou24d53' timestamp='1403869286' post='2487256']
And 14 pages later........
[/quote]

I say lock the thread!...I was very harsh earlier and I regret it and apologise :-s

There are clearly fundamental differences in opinion on the matter though, and it's likely to go round in circles. I don't think either "side" in this debate will ever really empathise with the other or come round to their point of view! ...

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1403904110' post='2487697']
If i wanted to put a Bloggs Bass decal on something that wasn't actually a Bloggs Bass, i'd do it. And I certainly wouldn't feel it necessary to explain or justify my reasons for doing so.
[/quote]
Does anyone read the other posts though? Do what you like to your bass, start a business building and selling them and its wrong, plain wrong, not Im banging my head against a wall because its my bass wrong, not the thread is going round in circles wrong, not two sides to the arguement might as well lock it wrong.

Just wrong, forgery, fake, using another brand to help promote your own, wrong diddly wrong wrong. This is from a man who built and sold a bitsa fake jazz on this very site....at a loss with no intentions of building any more.

[quote name='UglyDog' timestamp='1403904110' post='2487697']
If i wanted to put a Bloggs Bass decal on something that wasn't actually a Bloggs Bass, i'd do it. And I certainly wouldn't feel it necessary to explain or justify my reasons for doing so.
[/quote]

Too right - I'll stick a Fender logo on whatever I want. I'd challenge anyone here to tell the difference from three feet away.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1403919004' post='2487799']
Too right - I'll stick a Fender logo on whatever I want. I'd challenge anyone here to tell the difference from three feet away.

[/quote]
The funny thing is a lot of punters would not get that joke and presume it to be a Fender such is the notoriety of the brand never mind spot a fake logo on something like the [i]many [/i]Fender clones!

I dont think I am a full on BRX Fender hater yet but I sure am bored with all the copies now :(

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1403946044' post='2487886']
The funny thing is a lot of punters would not get that joke and presume it to be a Fender such is the notoriety of the brand never mind spot a fake logo on something like the [i]many [/i]Fender clones!

I dont think I am a full on BRX Fender hater yet but I sure am bored with all the copies now :(
[/quote]

Well do something radical and don't look.

[/quote]
[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1403949334' post='2487934']
Well do something radical and don't look.
[/quote]

Hee-hee yes. BRX usually manages to infer content from the thread title and moves on. :D

[quote name='bh2' timestamp='1404047724' post='2488744']
I would like one WITH a Fender decal... so there.
[/quote]

Then you will have to make your own arrangements... luckily whatever you stick on the headstock won't affect the tone of the bass in the least! Though having said that, mine does sound extra-specially great purely because it has the F decal on it. Bwa-ha-ha-haahhh!!

:shok: *Goes mad with it all, runs round and round in circles and squirts ketchup on the cat*

Edited by discreet

[/quote]

I'm not a Fender hater as such. It's just that I find the look unattractive and for me the shape is uncomfortable to play plus there are too many design/cost compromises for me to accept for an instrument that I need to rely on when playing live or in the studio.

What I really don't get is the need for having to have the Fender logo on a Fender-shaped bass. If another company was making legal copies of one of my favourite basses that were at least as good as the original but cost less (which is from what I can discern these Limelight basses are in relation to Fenders) then I would have no problem having one with the name of the company that actually made it on the headstock.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1403862798' post='2487164']And I think somebody kicked off a controversial subject, with their own agenda.[/quote]
[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1403864485' post='2487195']Wasn't the thread started by Discreet, who has a Limelight bass of his own? What's his agenda then?[/quote]
[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1403865858' post='2487212']That post is in reference to the other thread that led to this one.[/quote]
[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1403866843' post='2487227']This thread was started by me to make an announcement about a decision that was made following a previous thread. :)[/quote]

This has all got very complicated. So to summarise...

Discreet had an NBD thread relating to his new Limelight bass. WoT had a similar thread. I made a few comments on WoT's thread which, in hindsight, were not in the appropriate place. I acted on advice given, and started another thread which underwent a couple of title changes due to the fact that I was not 100% sure what the actual subject matter was!

Many posts were made in that thread, and as a result of it (seemingly) the guy who makes Limelight basses made a decision about the branding of his basses. That was brought to our attention by Discreet in [b][i]this[/i][/b] thread. :)

Despite Karlfer's accusation, I did [b][i]not[/i][/b] have (and [i][b]do[/b][/i] not have) an "agenda". I stated this clearly in the thread that [b][i]I[/i][/b] started. But some people do not read all of a thread before contributing. And to think that [i][b]I[/b][/i] was accused of being "easily offended"!! :D

Conan, I've always experienced you as an honest, level-headed and resourceful person of good will - a real asset to BC.

I do not believe for one minute that you had a hidden agenda.

( FWIW, I do not know Conan personally, and have had no dealings with him.
In fact, the thing I most remember him for is him heavily criticising me.
...misguidedly of course. :D )

Edited by BassTractor

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1404127447' post='2489465']
I acted on advice given, and started another thread... ...posts were made in that thread, and as a result of it (seemingly) the guy who makes Limelight basses made a decision about the branding of his basses. That was brought to our attention by Discreet in [b][i]this[/i][/b] thread. :)
[/quote]

Yes, I was among those who advised Conan to start a new thread, as I felt WoT's NBD thread wasn't the place for a discussion about branding. Or fraud, if you want to call it that. :D I felt it was right to bring the thread to Mark's attention and having read it he decided not to use F decals on subsequent basses. A good decision in my humble opinion, for various reasons.

Mark has told me that as a direct result of the NBD and other recent Limelight threads on this forum he has seen an increase in website traffic and has been receiving a lot more visitors and enquiries as a result. So there's no need for accusations or recriminations of any sort - it's turned out for the best and all is good. I started this thread to make the announcement at Mark's request and to give members a chance to comment - which they have, so I'd be happy to leave it there. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1404127447' post='2489465']
This has all got very complicated. So to summarise...

Discreet had an NBD thread relating to his new Limelight bass. WoT had a similar thread. I made a few comments on WoT's thread which, in hindsight, were not in the appropriate place. I acted on advice given, and started another thread which underwent a couple of title changes due to the fact that I was not 100% sure what the actual subject matter was!

Many posts were made in that thread, and as a result of it (seemingly) the guy who makes Limelight basses made a decision about the branding of his basses. That was brought to our attention by Discreet in [b][i]this[/i][/b] thread. :)

Despite Karlfer's accusation, I did [b][i]not[/i][/b] have (and [i][b]do[/b][/i] not have) an "agenda". I stated this clearly in the thread that [b][i]I[/i][/b] started. But some people do not read all of a thread before contributing. And to think that [i][b]I[/b][/i] was accused of being "easily offended"!! :D
[/quote]

How very dare you accuse me of accusing :blink: . I said "I think........................" (me thinking is a bit of a misnomer, but I'll let it pass this time) :P

Edited by karlfer

Can we all move on now? It's a decal...I really don't see any issue we need to worry about. Enjoy the Limelight basses, or don't....simple as.

Poir guy who runs it probably has, on the one hand, lots of interest, but on the other, lots of discussions about the ethics of his business.