Why become a member? ×

Relicked Basses and copyright issues...

Conan

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1403785911' post='2486322']
Mark is not the first (or only) person to have built a business like this and he won't be the last. I don't see why a more general discussion about relic'd instruments and copyright had to turn into a witch hunt for one persons business...
[/quote]

Yeah originally the thread title may have seemed a little bit of a target, even if not meant that way.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1403788147' post='2486387']
OK fair enough.

Those of you who did order a Limelight bass built to your spec why did you have a Fender logo put on it?
[/quote]

FWIW, if I ordered from 'new' (and at this time, that's likely to happen) I'd ask for a TV logo, 'cos it's a classic.

I just like the look of them, and I say that unapologetically.

OK fair enough.

Those of you who did order a Limelight bass built to your spec why did you have a Fender logo put on it?
[/quote]

For the same reason that any bass has a logo decal on it. Thats how the maker makes them. Whilst I asked for a specific neck profile and colour scheme and amount of relicing, I was also under the impression that both the limelight and fender logo would be present as the instrument was purchased with the intention of being a faithful reproduction of a specific vintage '64 Fender precision bass by Limelight guitars.

[/quote]

Obviously, I haven't bought one. If I did I would probably have a Fender logo on it. Purely for the looks, no other reason! If people assumed it was a Fender that's cool, but if anyone asked I'd say it was a Limelight.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1403789972' post='2486419'] If people assumed it was a Fender that's cool, but if anyone asked I'd say it was a Limelight.
[/quote]

I think that is the crux of the confusion (for some people).

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1403790679' post='2486434']
Why is it that certain topics are so utterly predictably going to turn into train wrecks?
[/quote]

Well I've just Googled it and apparently the main cause of train accidents is human factor-related, i.e. improper use of electrical equipment. Derailment is the most common type of accident. :D

Edited by discreet

I always tell people that ask about mine that it's a copy. I specc'd a Jazz neck and wasn't bothered at all about a logo, it came with a fender log on it. I'm not sure if it's period correct for my Bass or not, I havn't checked and couldn't care less either way.
It's a great playing and sounding bass and I love the way it looks, that's all that really matters to me.
B)

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1403790679' post='2486434']
Why is it that certain topics are so utterly predictably going to turn into train wrecks?
[/quote]

I think this one is still quite reasonable... It certainly isn't a train-wreck so far, is it?

If people can try to avoid being too personal, I don't see why it should disintegrate into the aforementioned locomotive accident. B)

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1403791637' post='2486445']
Jazz Bass : Candy Green, Black Plate, Candy Green painted neck, matching headstock, gloss maple board with black blocks and binding, Black Hardware please :P
[/quote]

I seem to remember from one of the other threads that there might be a problem with maple necks (or at least maple boards!)... but presumably everything else on your list should be possible!

But why would you want a [i][b]painted [/b][/i]neck? :o :D

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1403792509' post='2486460']
I seem to remember from one of the other threads that there might be a problem with maple necks (or at least maple boards!)... but presumably everything else on your list should be possible!

But why would you want a [i][b]painted [/b][/i]neck? :o :D
[/quote]

:( Maple Board is the ideal though

I like coated necks anyway and love when they match the bass :) got it on my heavily customised P and I love it.

Oh yeah, P bass neck profile on a 24 fret jazz neck too :P

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1403794285' post='2486486']
If they are Allparts necks then they are Fender licensed and perfectly entitled to a Fender decal.
[/quote]

As long as it's bolted onto a genuine Fender body as an authorised replacement. Not otherwise.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1403794615' post='2486491']

As long as it's bolted onto a genuine Fender body as an authorised replacement. Not otherwise.
[/quote]

Can you just tell me where it states that has to be the case?

I've just read back through this thread looking for the train wreck ( so I can make it worse, obviously...) and I can't find one. Were there no survivors?

Anyhow, my take on all this would be that , regarding relicked instruments ect, it is a ridiculous trend, but at the same time I can totally understand why people are attracted to them. So much of what we all aspire to in life is ridiculous, so why should bass guitars be exempt from that? The underlying fact is that when we buy consumer items, basses included, we are very often making choices which are based on our ideas about how we see ourselves, and those buying choices are designed to reinforce and those ideas and to turn them into something tangible so we have got some physical evidence that they are real.

In a culture obsessed with nostalgia and the quest for the authentic, it's not surprising that wear and tear are now being faked in order to create inauthentic authenticity. Not to do so would be an opportunity missed.

Edited by Dingus