Why become a member? ×

Relicked Basses and copyright issues...

Conan

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1403781857' post='2486235']
I do agree about creating fertile ground for fakes, but I was talking about a future argument not some past argument.

I'm not sure that I could tell the difference between a limelight with the marker pen removed and a real fender.

If he was to metal stamp "replica by limelight" into the back of the headstock, neck pocket and under the pickguard then I would have no problem with his work and neither would fender, I imagine
[/quote]

I just looked it up on Trading Standards

Effectively it's an offence to use the Fender logo, even if there is a disclaimer. It seems that the penalties range from a small fine all the way up to prison depending on the severity. With forfeiture of all the kit too.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1403782327' post='2486249']
I was talking about resale further down the line
[/quote]

If (If if if if if if if etc) the original sale was the sale of a counterfeit good, then all subsequent sales would be too. It doesn't turn into a legitimate item just because it's been bought and sold. The item itself would be illegal.

It'd be interesting to hear Molan's view on it. Bassgear have sold Nash basses and they are essentially the same thing (not just Limelight)...

http://www.bassgear.co.uk/product/nash-jb63/

Edited by skej21

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1403782715' post='2486257']

If (If if if if if if if etc) the original sale was the sale of a counterfeit good, then all subsequent sales would be too. It doesn't turn into a legitimate item just because it's been bought and sold. The item itself would be illegal.
[/quote]
I have a law degree, I know this. And actually the second purchaser without notice does get title.

I was just saying that the unscrupulous could use these easily to fleece people. I'm saying mark could do more IMVHO to brand them (in the cattle sense) to prevent this - not to detract from his otherwise fine product I hasten to add

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1403780999' post='2486214']
But, I do think it's a shame that rather than discussing an exciting new-ish supplier of very nice basses for reasonable money, so much of the conversation has focussed on recycling the bleedin' obvious. Especially as no money has changed hands on the understanding that these are anything other than Limelight basses.
[/quote]

This post is not aimed at any particular perosn, but I think it is interesting that the people who seem to be getting a bit flustered by this ("old and dull") discussion are the ones who either own or have expressed an interest in owning one of Marks' instruments. Why would that be?

If you own one and are happy with it, then that's cool - but why should that stop others discussing what they see as a potential issue and something that they feel uneasy about?

My feet are in both camps. I think they look great (especially the ones with the more subtle relicking) and am happy to believe the reviews that state that they feel great, play well and sound good. I would be happy to own one (although I couldn't afford one at the moment).

I really like the idea that you can basically spec your own "Fender" - choosing the colour in particular has great appeal to me as I tend to prefer the custom colours to the widely available ones... The relicking is something I am less enarmoured of - but I think some of the Limelight basses have been a bit overdone in that respect!

I'd love to try one - but to be fair, at their prices it is probably worth a punt (although I am not sure what the re-sale values would be like...).

I think this thread would be improved if people stopped taking things so personally. We are discussing a manufacturer of bass guitars. If you have met him and think he is a nice guy - great, but that has no real bearing on this discussion IMO.

Edited by Conan

Hmm.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1403784583' post='2486294']
If you own one and are happy with it, then that's cool - but why should that stop others discussing what they see as a potential issue and something that they feel uneasy about?
[/quote]

When have I suggested people stop talking about this? Even when it started to take over my NBD thread I let it go.

I simply pointed out that it's a shame the usual tired argument seems to be overshadowing what's on offer, and I suppose extended discussion like this could possibly lead to it being withdrawn, which IMO would be a bit of a head-shaker and a win for no-one.

[quote name='Mattmit' timestamp='1403776679' post='2486148']
His pickups are really good too.
[/quote]

Does he make his own? If not, anyone know what he uses? Or maybe this can be specced by the buyer too? :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1403785303' post='2486306']
When have I suggested people stop talking about this? Even when it started to take over my NBD thread I let it go.

I simply pointed out that it's a shame the usual tired argument seems to be overshadowing what's on offer, and I suppose extended discussion like this could possibly lead to it being withdrawn, which IMO would be a bit of a head-shaker and a win for no-one.
[/quote]

Yeah, sorry about your thread - I was at least partially responsible for the OT content... :blush:

A few people (including your good self) have referred to the discussion being "old", "dull", "repetitive", "done-to-death" and such like. True, that's not the same as suggesting that people stop talking about it; but it does kind of discourage it :(

Surely if bringing these basses to a wider audience could potentially cause the manufacturer problems (which NBD threads must also do?) then there must be a problem there?

I don't want these basses withdrawn. I actually want one myself - but as other posts have indicated, there are enough people on here who think that it is slightly dodgy that maybe Mark should take note of that before he gets a nasty letter from Fender's legal department.

Of course, if he has checked it all out and they are fine with it... my order will probably be going in soon! :o :gas:

This is getting silly. I can see people falling out over this, and it really isn't worth it! :unsure:

Mark is not the first (or only) person to have built a business like this and he won't be the last. I don't see why a more general discussion about relic'd instruments and copyright had to turn into a witch hunt for one persons business...

I see no witch hunt... :( We are discussing the issues around a manufacturer making copies/tributes/facsimiles... (call them what you will) of a well known range of basses.

Isn't that what bass guitar forums are for? :unsure:

However, in hindsight I can see how the thread title may be seen as provocative. I will change it for that reason.

Edited by Conan

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1403785824' post='2486319']
I'd quite like one to be honest... Not a reliced one, but a jazz style bass in my choice of colour for a reasonable price is very appealing.

I would like a limelight logo on the headstock though, if it's available as an option?
[/quote]

Yes! That is what I have been trying (unsuccessfully it seems) to say all along...

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1403786044' post='2486325']
I see no witch hunt... :( We are discussing the issues around a manufacturer making copies/tributes/facsimiles... (call them what you will) of a well known range of basses.

Isn't that what bass guitar forums are for? :unsure:

However, in hindsight I can see how the thread title may be seen as provocative. I will change it for that reason.
[/quote]

Like I said, a general discussion is something is be really interested in. I'd find it interesting to read peoples views but this has turned into a discussion about marks business not the general issue of copyright/relic instruments...

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1403786242' post='2486333']
I guess an unreliced one would be even cheaper?

Surf Green fretless with a matching headstock and I'm in....
[/quote]

Oh yes indeed!! :gas:

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1403786322' post='2486335']
Like I said, a general discussion is something is be really interested in. I'd find it interesting to read peoples views but this has turned into a discussion about marks business not the general issue of copyright/relic instruments...
[/quote]

Hmmmm. Yes, I guess it has in a way. But I think the THREE NBD threads relating to his basses in the last few days has also contributed to that...

It's a difficult one. I can see that he is doing a great job in a really cool niche of the market, but there is just something that doesn't quite sit right for me. Maybe I am not phrasing it very well though :(

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1403786446' post='2486337']
Having just flicked through the fender custom colour chart, maybe maize yellow....
[/quote]

:o Really?!?! They do a colour called maize yellow??? That's a bit corny...

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1403786583' post='2486342']

Oh yes indeed!! :gas:

Hmmmm. Yes, I guess it has in a way. But I think the THREE NBD threads relating to his basses in the last few days has also contributed to that...

It's a difficult one. I can see that he is doing a great job in a really cool niche of the market, but there is just something that doesn't quite sit right for me. Maybe I am not phrasing it very well though :(
[/quote]

I must point out that I didn't mean you specifically. There's just content in this thread that is too personal for my liking. Your views on it are objective and interesting :-)