Why become a member? ×

What are you listening to right now?

Sarah5string

On 09/04/2022 at 19:49, blackthorn said:

Today for some reason I’ve been listening to U2’s debut album ‘Boy’ for the first time in years. An oft-maligned band for sure, and not one I listen to often, but when I was a teenager I had a mate who was obsessed with them and I still have a real appreciation for those early records. In contrast to what they became, Boy had a fantastic atmospheric post-punk sound to it that reminds me a lot of old Cure records and the like.

I re-bought Boy only a few weeks ago having heard I Will Follow on the radio.  One of my elder sisters had the LP and I nicked it when she moved onto other stuff after a couple of years. I too like the post-punk vibe of Boy and October but quickly lost interest from War onwards and actually still dislike  Sunday Bloody Sunday, Two Hearts..and New Year's Day. 

• Like 1

It's probably the age I'm now at that I've mostly been listening to fave sounds from my formative years in the 80s, post-punk and synth-pop/New Romantic era stuff. IMO there were several great bands who were better than the more acclaimed ones like The Smiths, The Cure, New Order etc (even though I like those). One of these was The Woodentops, whose debut album ' Giant' is a cracker and still sounds fresh. This one isn't on it but it was the first song of theirs I heard on John Peel. They were big Peel faves. Incidentally post-punk geeks, the bass player was the brother of the late Pete de Freitas, drummer with Echo and the Bunnymen.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Bunion said:

Trying this out, not excited, it’s a ‘super band’ what the hell is that? 
I think people get lazy once they are called that.. 

As I thought it wasn’t anything to write home about 

10 hours ago, Bunion said:

yep agreed, another in a very long line of underwhelming 'super groups' that are less than the sum of their parts. For me the most disappointing is Audioslave, considering the members were in two of my fave rock bands

Edited by Barking Spiders

10 hours ago, Bunion said:

I didn't think the record was as special as it should have been but I saw them in Portsmouth and the live show really was something special. They played so much more than what was o the record. 

49 minutes ago, SteveXFR said:

Last night I watched the Killing Joke death and resurrection show documentary so this morning I'm listening the the record of the same name. 

It's a great documentary. It made me appreciate some of the mellower mid 80s stuff more.

• Like 1

Just reliving my hip-hop cover band days and going through an old playlist on Spotify at work today.

A lot of those 90s hip hop songs are really fun because they're just old funk stuff. We ended up playing my work's Christmas party one year with the theme of "luck". I spray painted and bejewelled a horseshoe that I wore for the gig.

image.png.8c717c4875dfa2ffe0c3920115e986cc.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MichaelDean said:

Just reliving my hip-hop cover band days and going through an old playlist on Spotify at work today.

A lot of those 90s hip hop songs are really fun because they're just old funk stuff. We ended up playing my work's Christmas party one year with the theme of "luck". I spray painted and bejewelled a horseshoe that I wore for the gig.

image.png.8c717c4875dfa2ffe0c3920115e986cc.png

Bass player in hip-hop cover band...... interesting.

What would you say were the top half-dozen or so tracks you did?

Uuuuh.... We expanded it a bit to 90s RnB as well.

Deception - Blackalicious

Can I Kick It? - A Tribe Called Quest

Regulate - Warren G

No Diggity - Blackstreet

Still DRE - Dr Dre

OPP - Naughty by Nature

Express Yourself - NWA

Gs & Hustlas - Snoop Dogg

Family Affair - Mary J Blige

Jump Around - House of Pain (this was generally the encore)

We ran it like a DJ set with songs flowing into one another and no breaks. Lineup was drums, bass, guitar, sax, decks, keys w/vox, female vox and a rapper.

The main issue we had was trying to get someone to rap. A lot of MCs don't want to be "spitting someone else's verses". We were the most white middle class hip-hop band ever! But it was really fun and if you get the right venue, everyone knows the songs and sings along.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

It's probably the age I'm now at that I've mostly been listening to fave sounds from my formative years in the 80s, post-punk and synth-pop/New Romantic era stuff. IMO there were several great bands who were better than the more acclaimed ones like The Smiths, The Cure, New Order etc (even though I like those). One of these was The Woodentops, whose debut album ' Giant' is a cracker and still sounds fresh. This one isn't on it but it was the first song of theirs I heard on John Peel. They were big Peel faves. Incidentally post-punk geeks, the bass player was the brother of the late Pete de Freitas, drummer with Echo and the Bunnymen.

I'm still waiting to see the Woodentops. Had tickets pre-covid and got moved a couple of times due to Covid. The date finally came  a couple of weeks ago.... turned up to the gig to find it had been cancelled at the last minute due to a local power outage.

I also failed to see them at the time the debut album was out....... got to about 5 people from the front of the queue in London when they said "Full up" 😞 .

Listening to a couple of recently-purchased albums by Ukrainian folk band DakhaBrakha ("Alambari" and the more down-beat "The Road")

I saw them a couple of years ago (one of my best ever gigs) but never got round to getting any recordings.

But with the situation in Ukraine it seemed like a good time to remedy that.

Edited by Nail Soup

3 hours ago, Barking Spiders said:

First time I've come across this group. I'd go and see them live. Anything different from the norm is good by me.

They’re great.  Playing drums with human 🦴 is just so cool. 

Have you heard Wardruna and Myrkur ?  Similar vibe.