Why become a member? ×

Is last night's audience of one a record?

leschirons

Hahaha, this thread has actually made me feel good about our audience of 9 last night! :)

***Metal note, for ticket selling gigs, make sure those who come out with the "I'll get a ticket off you on the night", actually do buy one beforehand - schoolboy error*** :blush:

This actually reminds me of when a previous band I was in played Rockers in Glasgow, we were the last band to go on and at 11.45pm, even the three who had turned up to see us had decided to call it a night before that.

We ended up playing to an audience of one, as well as the owner, two bar staff - who were by now sweeping up and cleaning the venue - and two bouncers - which is a joke in itself!!

To make matters worse, there were actually five American guys who ventured in - by choice! - paid their £5.00 entry only to leave after a single pint due to our drunken a$$hole of a singer giving them the 'Dubya' Bush and the "United States of Texas" patter. Still vividly remember them flipping the finger at us on the way out!

Not surprisingly, I think that might have actually been our last gig with that twat of a singer!!

One of the bouncers did say we were easily the best band of the night though, so every cloud......

Edited by lou24d53

[quote name='DogHammer' timestamp='1402917798' post='2477795']
Played to a few empty rooms/bars/pubs.

Its pretty disheartening. We wont play a gig if a world cup game is planned to be on. Its hard enough as an originals outfit trying to get people to come to your gigs let alone when the kickball is in the way.
[/quote]

I once played whilst people were trying to watch Doc Martin which was on the TV above us.

Saturday night gig was a turnout disaster for us, about 20 people in all, everyone else in the world being sat on Brighton beach watching footie on the enormous screen they put up.

Still those twenty people enjoyed it, the organisers apologised, but what can you do, the punters wont come if there is footie on, last gig we managed to snare a huge footie crowd and getting them right into it, so you win some lose some I guess.

Damned hard playing to a virtually empty room though, the lack of feedback and what have you just saps your energy :(

I was once in a band where we were basically given the option of cutting the second set short as there were so few punters in and I asked a couple of mates to come along too! TBH until we got the booking I wasn't even aware that they did gigs at that venue on a Sunday, notorious graveyard shift after having good bands on the previous two nights. The band had already decided to fold anyway so we weren't looking for another date in any case and had considered cancelling it. No idea what the head count was, its a reasonably big venue with lots of areas you can't see from the stage, doubt whether it got much into double figures though excluding staff.

Edited by KevB

Played to a micro-audience quite a few times, the best one though was the barmaid, promoter/owner and sound guy - on a rainy Thursday night in Accrington. No other bands on either...I guess we had one person there but she was the guitar player's girlfriend and the only reason she was there was 'cause she drove him around.

October 2012 found us playing to a dog.

Not even one man and a dog. The man stayed outside to have a fag.

Luckily enough, this was one of our earliest gigs with a photographer (Bluejay) so we even have evidence:

[URL=http://s1128.photobucket.com/user/h4ppyjack/media/Performance/121012%20The%20Old%20Ford/JDTheOldFord34.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Performance/121012%20The%20Old%20Ford/JDTheOldFord34.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

In the interests of fairness, I should point out that dog was almost as entertaining as we were.

It picked up a beer mat from a low table, tossed it in the air, caught it, threw it away, chased it, worried it, destroyed it, then started all over ...

We played at a local football club the day they were playing at the other end of the country.
6 people turned up. We ended up introduciong the crowd to the band as it would be quicker.
To their credit they stayed all night and danced
When we were packing up 2 Bus loads turned up and demanded that we set up again and played
The Manager was very apologetic and said he would book us again on a Bank holiday Sunday
as it's always packed then. The only problem was the August Bank holiday is not a Bank holiday in
Scotland and only 12 turned up.
We have'nt heard from them again.

Gig in the wee folk club in Edinburgh on Sunday evening started with three punters, went up to seven and finished with the original 3 again!!

A combination of the World Cup and a Sunday afternoon/ evening with nice weather (unusual to say the least for us) meant that most stayed at home.

Was a great gig though, the few who attended really enjoyed it, we got paid and are asked back in August so all in all, well worth doing it.

Cheers

Ed

We were booked to play a Xmas party for a local surf club. The party started at 9pm but the surfers had all gone out drinking at midday and none of them made it to the venue. We ended up playing to the bar staff and helping ourselves to the free food.