Why become a member? ×

oh my god......The bass of my dreams

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1402417885' post='2473297']
Can someone please explain what is some wonderful about this bass. It looks just like a Fender jazz to me.
[/quote]

I'm at a complete loss too...

In many people's opinion older Fenders may sound or even play better (differently) than new ones, but how can you get that from that listing? When I have more money than sense, I am going to buy a load of old Fenders, a load of new Fenders and a load of cheap eastern copies and see what I can pass off as what in a blind test :D

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1402421450' post='2473356']

In many people's opinion older Fenders may sound or even play better (differently) than new ones, but how can you get that from that listing? When I have more money than sense, I am going to buy a load of old Fenders, a load of new Fenders and a load of cheap eastern copies and see what I can pass off as what in a blind test :D
[/quote]

I like the blocks, binding and the aged colour. Would I buy a vintage Fender? No.

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1402421450' post='2473356']

[/quote]

Horses for courses mate......I started playing bass in 1974 at the age of 11, all I ever wanted in them days was a real Fender jazz..it took me the best part of 10 years before I could afford one, Ive loved them ever since.

The older jazzers evoke a feeling for me that I cant really explain other than to say, that every time I pick one up, or see an old vintage jazz ,that feeling of the first time I owned one comes flooding back.

For me its not about money or making money on old vintage guitars, it's the way they make me feel.....but hey...each to his own

[quote name='alembic63' timestamp='1402423174' post='2473389']

Horses for courses mate......I started playing bass in 1974 at the age of 11, all I ever wanted in them days was a real Fender jazz..it took me the best part of 10 years before I could afford one, Ive loved them ever since.

The older jazzers evoke a feeling for me that I cant really explain other than to say, that every time I pick one up, or see an old vintage jazz ,that feeling of the first time I owned one comes flooding back.

For me its not about money or making money on old vintage guitars, it's the way they make me feel.....but hey...each to his own
[/quote]

Great reason and one I couldn't understand having never had that desire for one. :)

Its when I see someone more my age group (25-30) describing these as their dream instruments that confuses me somewhat, but as you say, each to their own, :)

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1402442092' post='2473657']
Great reason and one I couldn't understand having never had that desire for one. :)

Its when I see someone more my age group (25-30) describing these as their dream instruments that confuses me somewhat, but as you say, each to their own, :)
[/quote] funny how things change eh Kev? When I started looking at basschat it was full of the older guys telling what was the younguns like us to avoid anything Fender from the 70's .....

It is a lovely thing. Would I buy one? If I could afford it and it played nice, you bet yo'ass I would.

Tbh I don't get this 'why do you like them' business, surely we all like different stuff don't we, and for our own reasons - jeez...

I like grilled cheese over tinned peaches on toast, but you don't have to. :)

[quote name='planer' timestamp='1402507855' post='2474270']
I like grilled cheese over tinned peaches on toast, but you don't have to. :)
[/quote]

Add a little chopped red chilli and that's a winning dish :)

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1402508275' post='2474281']
Add a little chopped red chilli and that's a winning dish :)
[/quote]Oooooh now that my friend is a great idea - top kitchen tips from your #1 bass forum!

(with apologies for the thread diversion...)

Edited by planer

[quote name='planer' timestamp='1402507855' post='2474270']
Tbh I don't get this 'why do you like them' business, surely we all like different stuff don't we, and for our own reasons - jeez...
[/quote]

It's not a "why do you like them?" question. For me it was more a "what makes this bass more special than any other Fender Jazz?" question. I could understand it if the OP had actually had a go on the bass in question and it was an awesome sounding and playing instrument, but it's just some photos in an eBay listing. So what is it?