Why become a member? ×

Not usually a Musicman fan, but....

Deep Thought

Just found this after a casual glance at one of our local emporia's website, which I do from time to time. Now I am no fan of Musicman basses (sorry, they just don't do it for me!), but even I thought this was nice. Andy certainly does get some nice stuff-check out some of his previous sales!

[url="http://www.modernmusic.co.uk/collectibles_and_rarities/musicman_redwood_stingray_bass.php"]http://www.modernmusic.co.uk/collectibles_...ingray_bass.php[/url]

Edited by Deep Thought

See, there y'go-funny how tastes differ isn't it? Perhaps it appeals to me as I don't really like Musicman (men?)-I hate that oval pickguard and I've never forgiven them for that silly logo they used to have with the M being made up with little men's legs (shallow I know but that's the way it is). And don't get me started on the Bongo! This actually looks pretty nice to me, I thought it would to lovers of their stuff also, but apparently not! Funny old game, innit? And yes, I agree this stuff is pretty pricey-I don't think he's worried if he sells the gear in this section or not, if somebody comes along who likes it enough to pay that sort of money, fine, but otherwise I think the shop does fine anyway.

[quote name='Hamster' post='242593' date='Jul 18 2008, 12:11 PM']I like MM's but that one doesn't float my boat.[/quote]

Ditto - not keen on the figuring or the colour or the edging on the body. The 12th fret inlay looks a bit gash as well, but then I suppose I rarely get enthusiastic about the look of fingerboards that aren't maple.

Don't mind the lack of a scratchplate, but if I was gonna have an expensive bass with a large expanse of look-at-me finish.... it wouldn't be [i]that[/i] finish.

[quote name='gilmour' post='242881' date='Jul 18 2008, 04:42 PM']Funny looks just like a G&L to me[/quote]

Yeah that's what I was thinking.

I really like the way L2000s play but I've only ever seen one that looked appealing to me, and somebody else had already bought it when I returned to the store the next day. Should've put a deposit on it!

It [i]does[/i] look like a G&L...

I was reflecting just yesterday on the number of basses that the MMHB seems to have inspired / brought into being;

Stingray, Sterling and Ray5
SUBs and OLPs
G&L ASAT, L1000, 1500, 2000, 2500
Modulus Flea signature
Warwick Jazzman, FNA, Corvette $$, Streamer $$
Ibanez ### SRX (insert number between 300 and 705!)
Numerous Sandbergs...

You can complete the list!

As for the 'Ray in question, not for me, I think!
I'm not sure about HB/HB.
I like the scratchplate!
'Rays look better plain to me. The only specials I've liked are the Bluebursts and that Coppertop doing the rounds recently.
And then there's the price...

Both of these together cost less!

Second one isn't a 'Ray, but it's definitely along the same lines.

[quote name='Delberthot' post='242846' date='Jul 18 2008, 04:13 PM']Sound Control in glasgow has one for £2200

It looks similar to the 20th anniversary one that i used to have without a scratchplate.[/quote]

the one in Glasgow has the control plate without the pickguard which just looks plain wrong imo.

Del,did you sell your 20th to a fella from Greenock by any chance?

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='243009' date='Jul 18 2008, 07:45 PM']the one in Glasgow has the control plate without the pickguard which just looks plain wrong imo.[/quote]
thats how musicman sabre/cutlass basses were isnt it?