Why become a member? ×

Do I Need A Heavier Gauge String?

Hobbayne

I have been using Ernie Ball Super Slnkies for a few years now and am quite happy with them.
But since I have been with my new band which plays loud classic rock, I noticed that I am having my amp a lot louder than I used to.
Its not a problem as I have loads of headroom left on my amp, however, my guitar tech suggested that I use a heavier gauge string to "Put more meat over the pickup" I think were his words.
Suggestions gratefully wanted. :happy:

Guest bassman7755

Choose a string for the feel/tone, use gain appropriate gain to achieve volume, gauge wont make much difference in output anyway. For starters try a better quality and or shorter lead, then your next option is to use to use a preamp (onboard or separate pedal) or fit higher output pickups.

Maybe look at something like this ...
[url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Behringer-PB100-Preamp-Booster-Pedal/6BK?origin=product-ads&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_campaign=PLA+Behringer&utm_content=Yb7xhCqt|dc_pcrid_39000656599_plid__kword__match__&gclid=CNb80ofWrb4CFYXItAodu2sAow"]http://www.gear4musi...CFYXItAodu2sAow[/url]

Although for an bit extra you could get one of these ...
[url="http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Behringer-GDI21-V-Tone-Guitar-Preamp/2PY"]http://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/Behringer-BDI21-V-Tone-Bass-Preamp/6LV[/url]

which will give you the added benefit of being able to dial in some crunch/dirt which might be useful in a classic rock band.

Edited by bassman7755

IME, you do get more volume and more "tone" from heavier gauge strings. What are you using now?

I went as high as 50-110s a while ago, but found that I was having problems adjusting my action. Great tone mind... but in the end I stepped down to 45-105 gauge which is, for me, the perfect compromise between playability and tone.

Edited by Conan

A heavier string may possibly give you more perceived 'heft', but IME you won't necessarily increase volume and will lose definition. As ever, it's a balance. [size=4]I'd go with bassman7755 and look at other options if the strings play OK for you and you like the feel.[/size]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1400147958' post='2451132']
gauge wont make much difference in output anyway. [/quote]

Sorry, but I don't agree. :)

I've tried a LOT of different brands and gauges in the last few years, and my experiences show that gauge DOES make a difference to volume and tone. So does brand and type of metal mind... but even when changing from, say, DR hibeams in 40-100 to the same string in 50-110 I noticed a discernable increase in both volume and tone.

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1400148471' post='2451145']

Sorry, but I don't agree. :)

I've tried a LOT of different brands and gauges in the last few years, and my experiences show that gauge DOES make a difference to volume and tone. So does brand and type of metal mind... but even when changing from, say, DR hibeams in 40-100 to the same string in 50-110 I noticed a discernable increase in both volume and tone.
[/quote]

Volume... probably. Tone... eh? An "increase" in tone? What do you mean by that? Brighter, duller, more mids?

In my opinion, you choose strings for tone and feel- volume is what you have an amp for.

Also I don't buy into the popular "heavier strings give a fuller tone" theory. A different tone, perhaps and a different feel definitely but I find heavier strings to sound •less• dynamic than lighter strings.

How light you can go is determined by how well you can modulate your touch- I settled long ago on gauges of around 40- 100 for a four string and have not seen any reason to change since.

Cheers

Ed

[quote name='EMG456' timestamp='1400150841' post='2451189']
I settled long ago on gauges of around 40-100 for a four string and have not seen any reason to change since.
[/quote]

I recently changed to 40-100 after many years using 45-105 and experienced an overall improvement in clarity and definition.
I thought I'd be looking at a reduction in 'bottom end' or whatever you want to call it, but this wasn't the case.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1400151164' post='2451192']

I recently changed to 40-100 after many years using 45-105 and experienced an overall improvement in clarity and definition.
I thought I'd be looking at a reduction in 'bottom end' or whatever you want to call it, but this wasn't the case.
[/quote]

Agreed. I use my Aguilar TH to emphasise any frequencies that need it (due to space acoustics etc) but find 40-100 are more responsive to my playing and the clarity and definition is much nicer, particularly when recording.

The output of the pickup coils is proportional to the mass of the string vibrating within the electro-magnetic field, so a heavier gauge should give a higher output. Having said that, I'd still stick to the strings you're comfortable with and use your tone/volume controls to tweak the sound.

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1400147958' post='2451132']
Choose a string for the feel/tone, use gain appropriate gain to achieve volume, gauge wont make much difference in output anyway. For starters try a better quality and or shorter lead, then your next option is to use to use a preamp (onboard or separate pedal) or fit higher output pickups.
[/quote]

Unless the output of your bass is very weedy a pre-amp will do nothing that you shouldn't already be able to achieve with the input gain control on your amp.

From your post it sounds as if you've just joined a band that play louder than your used to normally rather than it being any problem with anything else.

Changing your string gauge to something different to what you've used for years will probably have an effect on your playing more than anything - It will take some getting used to the different feeling of the thicker or thinner strings and probably make you feel uncomfortable as your not used to it.

If you need more 'meat' to the tone just fiddle around with your amp settings.

[quote name='Weststarx' timestamp='1400155337' post='2451244']
Changing your string gauge to something different to what you've used for years will probably have an effect on your playing more than anything - It will take some getting used to the different feeling of the thicker or thinner strings and probably make you feel uncomfortable as your not used to it.

If you need more 'meat' to the tone just fiddle around with your amp settings.
[/quote]

Good post. :)

It is interesting that some of you have come to different conclusions than mine. But that doesn't make me incorrect! I have noticed a significant "change" in tone when using different gauge strings (of the same brand). Maybe talking about an "increase" in tone is inappropriate, but as we all know, describing tone in words is subjective at best and impossible at worst...

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1400151164' post='2451192']
[/quote]

Same brand and type of strings? On the same basses using the same amps and cabs? Could the improvements you noticed be down to slight changes in your playing due to the different gauges?

There are so many variables. I'm not doubting you BTW, just looking for other possible reasons why our perception of tone might be altered... :)

This is an interesting thread, and it is making me re-think the reasons why I use the strings (and gauges) that I do. Which is a good thing! B)

Edited by Conan

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1400156807' post='2451261']
Same brand and type of strings? On the same basses using the same amps and cabs? Could the improvements you noticed be down to slight changes in your playing due to the different gauges?
[/quote]

Yes, same brand of string, same bass, same amp and same cab. DR Lo-Riders, 45-105 Medium - changed to 40-100 Lite. :)

Edited by discreet

I only use a bigger gauge when tuning down, even then it is just to attempt to obtain the same level of tension as I have when using a 45-105 set in standard tuning. I used to use 40-95 but once I got used to a bigger set I've never regretted it.

No, you most certainly do not need a heavier gauge of string.

Heavier gauge strings do sound different, that is an undeniable fact, but it's more in terms of the overall harmonic content of the note than bigger, beefier output. In fact, contrary to popular myth, lighter gauge strings actually have more bottom end than their thicker counterparts. Where heavier strings make the most difference to your sound is actually in the upper frequencies. Put in laymans terms, you get more "clang" and more "ping" but less twang and maybe even a bit less oomph.

One problem for players assessing different string gauges is that psychologically it is very difficult to divorce the feel of a string from the perceived sound it creates. As a result, your perception of the sound of a given gauge is influenced as much by the effort it takes to finger the notes as it is from the information coming from your ears. Conversely , the tone you use can actually influence your perception of string tension. A grating , trebley tone often makes the bass feel as if the strings are a bit tighter, whereas a dull, bassy tone gives and increased perception of softness. Because heavier gauge strings feel so different, they can very easily influence the manner in which you play far more than they will dramatically enhance your overall tone.

If you are using 45-100 Super Slinkies then , yes, you could try going to a regular standard gauge 45-105 set of some kind , but any heavier than that , say 50-110, and you are asking for problems. Unless you are detuning, strings that heavy can cause long-term problems for both your hands and your basses. In terms of sound , strings that thick will not give you a remarkable increase in heft , but they will make playing your bass a much heftier workload and completely change the feel of playing the bass. Unless that is what you crave, I wouldn't bother.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1400157628' post='2451277']
Yes, same brand of string, same bass, same amp and same cab. DR Lo-Riders, 45-105 Medium - changed to 40-100 Lite. :)
[/quote]

Cool! Interesting too... B)

:rolleyes: Semantics eh!!??
Personally, I've found that a lighter gauge string produces a kind of "ferlupalup" tone - whereas, a heavier gauge will sound more "kerzzzzong"

And don't forget... if you change the gauge of your strings - you'll need to re-setup your bass: truss, intonation etc.

EDIT: Just to answer the question (kind of):
I don't know what gauge Super Slinkies are as I've never used Ernie Ball Strings. But if I were in a "loud classic rock" outfit, I probably wouldn't go lighter than my current gauge of 40-100s Edited by SteveK

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1400154617' post='2451237']
Unless the output of your bass is very weedy a pre-amp will do nothing that you shouldn't already be able to achieve with the input gain control on your amp.
[/quote]

Well I had assumed that if it was simply a case of turning up the gain on his amp that he would have done that, rather than post the original question, so my response was predicated on the amp gain already being maxed out ....

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1400150964' post='2451191']
I'm not understanding the "increase in tone" phrase here?

From my experience it's been different but neither increased nor decreased.
[/quote]

Yup! Worst is guitarists who say "thicker strings have more tone" err... You mean volume, don't you? :D

To the OP - try a different type of string. I find Ernie Balls to be stunningly average. Very nice to play, but certainly lacking a lot in terms of tone, IMO. Half rounds have a lot more bass too them, but much less high end. The tension is higher though, so you'll need to do a bit of adjusting, but you can use the same gauge as you currently do and get an instant boost in the low end.

Another thing to think about is pickup height - this can affect the tone you get. A lower pickup can give a bit more of a growl, I find.