Why become a member? ×

Ear Wax

essexbasscat

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1399721616' post='2446972']
Hopi ear candles are a total con. I had one done at a spa once, didn't make any difference, plus when it's burnt out they unravel it to show you how a load of powder inside that they claim came from your ear, when in fact if you burn one of these without an ear involved you get the same deposit inside at the end.

After 34 years of using nothing but cotton buds, I put my head under the bath one day and the water never came out of my ears, and I was stuck partially deaf for 3 months. I first tried alcohol drops from the pharmacy, followed by olive oil then sodium bicarb drops prescribed by the doctor, but all that did is make a big sludgy cocktail in there. Eventually got them 'syringed' which I later learned isn't actual syringing anymore, but 'ear irrigation'. They basically have a tiny little jet pulsing warm water into your ear and it dislodges anything up there in a few minutes. It was all quite relaxing and my level of hearing was a revelation after. No more weird pops or ringing noises either, when I was scared I was getting tinnitus!

Got the lecture about not using cotton buds, but still do - just on the outer part of the ear though!
[/quote]

Its honestly took chunks out of mine that were like plugs. The Mrs has been doing hopi candles for 20 odd years so there may well be a knack to it. The wax has to be softened first (olive oil for a few days) and that the candle is inserted properly and deep enough.

I can only presume that when the tube is lit, the heat creates some sort of vacuum that draws out the wax. If the candle isn't inserted properly perhaps the wax doesn't have enough draw to remove it. As its a holistic treatment, I suspect that if its really bad then the syringing that you mention may well be the better option.

Edited by itsmedunc

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1399724280' post='2447024']
They work at getting beautiful women to lay down practically naked in front of you ?
[/quote]

Yes, that's indeed what I tried to write, and thought I'd written also.
I've now edited my English as I see I guessed wrongly with the "lie down" / "lay down" thing, and have added emoticons.

And yes, I'm enthusiastic. Will certainly become a practitioner of this. ;)
(although I'm still perusing another career as well after I saw the "Sex Instructor. First lesson free" t-shirt last summer. :D )

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1399724337' post='2447029']
[size=4][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]But to be honest when I went it wasn't a candle OR an ear - there was no towel - but the principle was the same, I'm sure. :mellow:[/font][/size]
[/quote]

This is correct.
For the sake of clarity though, after that incidence I've changed some things, and, amongst other changes, don't do male customers anymore.

Edited by BassTractor

The ear irrigation is the final solution, IMO... but drops that soften it up are required for a few days prior or else
the irragtion/water jet thing is banging too hard on the drum and that is just not advisable against a few days of drops
to soften it all.
You should avoid poking things in your ear ..like fingers, :lol: as all that does it compact it further.
I find Otex is very good upto a point..and my last lot cleared up a persistant lasting bout of wax
without having to go for irrigation. But yes, ear health gets more pertinent the older we get..

Upto a few years ago..and before my loud band started, I had never had my ears syringed.
But wax isn't all bad.. we produce it for a reason.

This is part of what came out of my left ear a few months ago:

[URL=http://s86.photobucket.com/user/RhysP/media/Photoon2013-05-10at16003_zps7d785fd4.jpg.html][IMG]http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k120/RhysP/Photoon2013-05-10at16003_zps7d785fd4.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1399744772' post='2447294']

[url="http://s86.photobucket.com/user/RhysP/media/Photoon2013-05-10at16003_zps7d785fd4.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

Eek ! how on earth did you get that lot out ? that's part of it ?

[quote name='essexbasscat' timestamp='1399746451' post='2447307']
Eek ! how on earth did you get that lot out ? that's part of it ?
[/quote]

Well - despite having had something pushed through my eardrum many years ago, so I know only too well what can happen when you stick things in your ears - I spent a while softening the wax up by putting my head on a hot water bottle & then I dug most of it out with an Allen Key.... :o

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1399744772' post='2447294']

[url="http://s86.photobucket.com/user/RhysP/media/Photoon2013-05-10at16003_zps7d785fd4.jpg.html"][/url]
[/quote]

Gross. Lucky for you I lost those pics of what was left over after my hernia repair. :mellow:

Edited by discreet

I sense that with all these people's ears getting a clearance at last, those pesky scientific types will finally hear that a Hopi kettle lead really does make the amp sound different!

Edit: Yes, I know (this time at least), but "clearance" sounds more fun than "cleansing" or those other boring words.

Edited by BassTractor

It has been proven that ear candles don't work, but could it actually be worse? Other than the obvious fire hazard. How warm does your ear get when you set fire to something stuck in it? Surely making the ear warm would cause the ear wax to flow in the direction of gravity? Isn't this likely to cause a worse blockage? Unless it stays warm enough to slop back down to the bottom of the ear canal when you sit up.

I have a terrible problem with wax build up but have found bicarbonate of soda drops work. Do one ear at a time - one drop only per day. Wait till one ear clears then start the next one. It may take up to three weeks to work. Don't over apply the drops- you'll make a mushy mess of the earwax and run the risk of deafness for weeks.

Whatever you do, don't use ear candles. They are incredibly dangerous.