Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Cabs - Retro six10 and Retro Two2

JamesBass

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1399571826' post='2445521']
There is something about the '69er that is quite special. It must be the combination of sealed punchy goodness, added harmonics from that top right driver, and the roll off at 40Hz - it just works really well.
All of those elements have changed - I hope this cab hasn't lost what makes the '69er so special.
[/quote]

This, plus, I love my 69er and have no desire to change even if the new 6x10 is a little louder.

I'd guess that the new 10s are 24 ohms each.

12ohms? Not a problem. Impedances are nominal, for which read 'approximate, rough-and-ready, rule of thumb'. With a valve amp you can safely go up or down by a factor of 2 in nominal impedance, so an 8 ohm output can be used into a load between 4 and 16 ohms. It may not sound as good or as loud, but it won't kill the amp.

I have seen and heard this demonstrated by a guy who is a certified valve geek!

Waiting for the fireworks indeed!

Out of all the cabs made by Barefaced, the 69er did appeal for my 60 watter but the usual finance (and space!) issues have prevented me pursuing it.. I've only ever heard two BF cabs and I don't know what models they were but they were great sounding.

I wish Alex the best of success with his new line and hope they're as good as the previous models.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1399583763' post='2445711']
I don't understand why it has to be 16 ohms??? Wouldn't it be more 'popular' just to make a simple lightweight 2x10???
[/quote]

Therein lies the rub, perhaps? More "popular" but not necessarily what Barefaced want to achieve? To achieve their sonic goal this is obviously their best solution...?

As suggested earlier, 3 x 12 ohm 2x10s is the equivilant* of a 4 ohm 6x10. Nothing really new but it makes a modular '6x10' which I can see the appeal of..

* All things being equal of course..

Edited by VTypeV4

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1399561507' post='2445362']
If I really believed better = more then I'd be a guitarist, wouldn't I?
[/quote]

^ Yngwie falls out of a Ferrari to like this.

;)

Edited by subrob

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1399571284' post='2445517']
:D

*Posts pic of someone eating popcorn in a cinema*
[/quote]

I don't believe you!

I've searched this entire thread and there's no such a pic.

For that, I'm having some of yours...

Edited by xgsjx

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1399620773' post='2445860']
I don't believe you!
I've searched this entire thread and there's no such a pic.
For that, I'm having some of yours...
[/quote]

That's the longest pic URL I've ever seen that doesn't display a pic! :P

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1399622957' post='2445879']
That's the longest pic URL I've ever seen that doesn't display a pic! :P

[/quote]

Cheers! :)

I had trouble with every pic I tried.

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1399584705' post='2445720']
Therein lies the rub, perhaps? More "popular" but not necessarily what Barefaced want to achieve? To achieve their sonic goal this is obviously their best solution...?
[/quote]

I'm just taking this a little more from a market point of view; most people wanting a sealed 8x10 vibe in a small 2x10 box will just pickup an 8 ohm Ampeg SVT 2x10 AV and save a fair bit of cash?

I'm also not saying 'popular' equates to better, but 16 ohms is an odd one. I wouldn't be worried about using an amp through it, I just don't see the advantage? If you are aiming for a smaller version of the new 6x10, you wouldn't probably then want 3 x 210s....it would cost more and mean three little boxes to try and stack up, etc.

I just think an 8 ohm 2x10 would have made more sense, and add another if you want to make a little 4x10 stack?

[size=4]I'm sure Alex would have done his research before making his new cabs available.[/size]

The introductory price for the Retro 2 makes a new barefaced cab accessible to those who previously couldn't afford one.
Which is a shrewd move in my book. The market will prevail.

Edited by discreet

A high impedence (16 ) 2x10 doesn't make sense as a standalone cab as you'll drain the amp to power it.
I could see the point froma modular POV if you wanted to run a powerful 212 (600w ) at 8 topped by a
210 (400w) at 16 as that would balance the output a bit better to the 2 cabs... but this needs a robust output stage
to cope, I'd say.

I've used 212 @ 8 and 2x 210 @ 8 each but you need an amp to run down to 2ohms.

I was saving for a 69er as well! So after finding this yesterday, it really piqued my interests. I'm very curious to hear both the new cabs. Not sure why 12ohms as a choice, but no doubt there's some method to their madness!

Being able to build a 6x10 up from the 2x10s is also a good idea, gives more portability and customisation for recording, gigging and rehearsing!

So pictures of both of the cabs would be nice Alex, if you're reading this of course! ;)

Edited by JamesBass

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1399628708' post='2445961']
Looking at it from a different view, if you were to use 2 12Ω cabs, you're not running a 4Ω amp to it's minimum load, therefor not putting such a strain on the components.
[/quote]

That's not really what the amp was built for though, is it? Not running your amp at full tilt thus not straining it isn't something that would attract me into a sale.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1399629288' post='2445968']
If you run your Ferrari regularly to the red line, it's not going to last as long as what it would if you keep it below the red line.
[/quote]

Who said anything about redlining it? Shall we just tinker with it and put a sticker on the back saying that it's limited to 50mph instead?

Edited by EBS_freak

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1399629386' post='2445972']
That's not really what the amp was built for though, is it? Not running your amp at full tilt thus not straining it isn't something that would attract me into a sale.
[/quote]
[quote name='EBS_freak' timestamp='1399629988' post='2445981']
Who said anything about redlining it? Shall we just tinker with it and put a sticker on the back saying that it's limited to 50mph instead?
[/quote]

Just like a Ferrari is built to go fast. The same logic applies... The harder you run something, more wear & tear you put on the parts.
The lower the Ω the more current is going through the amp's components. Current = heat & heat reduces the life of the components.
They might well last the full time that you have your amp, but if you can get a great sound with plenty of volume* and not have to run the amp as hot, why would that be a bad thing?

* "Sound & Volume"... I've never heard one of these cabs, so I can only go on what I've read. For all I know, I might not like the sound. :)