Why become a member? ×

damned cat!!

mrtcat

Had to cancel gig tonight thanks to our bloody cat. Took the little bugger to the vet this morning and he got so freaked out he bit me. Not just a nip either but right down to the bone in my right hand. Hand now swollen and painful as hell so the wife and I just endured a sat night sat in a&e. Turns out it's a good job we went as they were quick to put my arm in a high sling, administer strong antibiotics and a tetanus shot. Got to go back daily for the foreseeable.
Gonna buy the little bugger a toothbrush tomorrow.

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' timestamp='1399186706' post='2441771']
How is the cat? Why did it freak out?
[/quote]
The cat is ok. He's got an ongoing kidney issue but is over the worst. He freaks out at the vet because he's a shy type of cat and gets really scared. I don't blame him at all as it's totally not in his nature to scratch or bite he just doesn't like strangers and the vet has to examine him thoroughly (lots of squeezing of tummy and back legs) which really upsets him.
I hadn't realised how dangerous animal bites are. The doctor was annoyed that i didn't go straight to hospital as pretty much 100% of cat bites that puncture skin get infected. When I told him I was a bass player he pointed out that infections in the hands can do permanent tendon damage if left untreated.
On a plus I must say that the staff at Northampton General were great. It's a really well run hospital from what we saw and despite being there at 11pm on a sat night we were in and out in an hour and a half.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1399188806' post='2441781']

I hadn't realised how dangerous animal bites are. The doctor was annoyed that i didn't go straight to hospital as pretty much 100% of cat bites that puncture skin get infected.
[/quote]

No worse than human bites.

I've been bitten by cats 100s of times (I've got four of my own & used to foster for the cats protection league) & I've never had an infected one yet.

I had a very similar experience. One of my usually well - behaved cats bit me while I was repeatedly trying to 'encourage' her to swallow a pill - her tooth went to the bone in my thumb.

In 24 hrs the blue line had travelled up my arm to the shoulder and the area around the bite resembled a small volcano. Off to A+E and straight to the front of the queue on arrival, to be treated in minutes.
First injection right next to the hole was to freeze and numb the area, which painful enough, believe me.

The next injection for the antibiotics was straight into the centre of the hole. Over the years, I've learned to relax enough in the dentist's to let the pain go through me. It doesn't stop the pain, but the technique allows me to cope.
I tried the same thing with this injection into that hole and the pain just MASSIVELY overwhelmed me. My sister heard me scream from over 100 yards away. I thought the dentist's pain was about 8 on a scale of ten before now, but compared to that injection pain, it's about 2 on a different scale altogether. The pain from that needle into the hole was much more 'in your face' and sooooo much sharper.

Believe me, cats bites are most definately infectious, boy are they ! Human bites are even worse for infection though.

Edited by essexbasscat

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1399188806' post='2441781']
The cat is ok. He's got an ongoing kidney issue but is over the worst. He freaks out at the vet because he's a shy type of cat and gets really scared. I don't blame him at all as it's totally not in his nature to scratch or bite
[/quote]

Fair play to you for being so understanding and for caring so much for you pet. If only more people were like yourself there would not be the animal neglect problem that exists both in Britain and here in Ireland.

It was tough what you had to go through physically, and aslo having to cancel your gig.

Hope you are back rockin' soon. :)

Edited by Coilte

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1399206821' post='2442042']
Let's see - they clean themselves using their tongues which are next to their teeth so yes, bites will likely be an infection risk
[/quote]

It's got nothing to do with how they clean themselves - the primary cause of infection from a bite is bacteria from decaying food stuck between the teeth, which is exactly the same reason human bites are infectious.

Cats are very fastidious animals, certainly a lot cleaner than many humans are.

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1399194376' post='2441846']

Fair play to you for being so understanding and for caring so much for you pet. If only more people were like yourself there would not be the animal neglect problem that exists both in Britain and here in Ireland.

It was tough what you had to go through physically, and aslo having to cancel your gig.

Hope you are back rockin' soon. :)
[/quote]

+1

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1399213262' post='2442112']

It's got nothing to do with how they clean themselves - the primary cause of infection from a bite is bacteria from decaying food stuck between the teeth, which is exactly the same reason human bites are infectious.

Cats are very fastidious animals, certainly a lot cleaner than many humans are.
[/quote]

And also the fecal bacteria on their tongues

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1399193186' post='2441823']
No worse than human bites.
[/quote]

Cat bites are worse than a human bite, as they have enzymes in their saliva that can cause problems. They've evolved to have these enzymes that can shutdown the nervous systems of small animals - which is why prey often die even if they aren't badly bitten.

Not had a cat for years but well remember the necessity of wearing motorcycle gloves when it was necessary to encourage Moggy to do anything it wasn't entirely convinced of doing. Had a lot of nasty scratches over the years but fortunately, never a bite.

Jon.

Once had to take my cat to the vet but she was really wild so I had loads of clothes on and gloves...Tried for a really long time to get her inside a cage but didn't work.
Luckily I had a guitar-amp in the hallway and she crawled inside of it....closed the cover with the zipper and took the amp to the vet. Funny looks in the waitingroom...