Why become a member? ×

Twin Humbucker Bass - Recommendations?

discreet

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1398095037' post='2430361']
Let me clarify something here - you can get a maple board on a Tribute M-2000 - but the body has to be black or sunburst. You asked for white so I didn't think these were an option... The white one (M-2000 GTB) only comes with rosewood. Sorry if I was unclear.
[/quote]

Not at all, I realised that - no lack of clarity experienced and no apology necessary. :)
It's quite often the case that white/maple is not an option within some ranges, I don't know why. No taste, these people. ;)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1397933425' post='2428827']
...how do you actually pronounce '$$' ? Cash? Dollars? ...What?
[/quote]

$$ = 'Double Buck', as was kindly pointed out to me earlier in the thread.
But it's taken me [i]two days [/i]to realise [i]why[/i]... two humbuckers - of course! D'oh! :facepalm:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1398092866' post='2430323']

No doubt they are for discerning players who are much less shallow than I am! :D
[/quote]

Not sure I'd go that far, a drunk 17 year old version of me traded a 78 precision for my first one. It is a fantastic bass though. I don't regret the trade :)

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1398119059' post='2430744']
Not sure I'd go that far, a drunk 17 year old version of me traded a 78 precision for my first one.
It is a fantastic bass though. I don't regret the trade :)
[/quote]

Hmm, they must indeed be fantastic. I do kind of regret moving on my 76P, but then I only traded it for cash. ;)

Edited by discreet

Slightly out of budget but... please please please get this before I am forced to :lol: I can't stand it much longer!

Those MFD pick-ups rock.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/234258-gl-sb2-1983/"]http://basschat.co.u...58-gl-sb2-1983/[/url]

Edited by Ben Jamin

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1398413090' post='2433769']
Oh man thats pretty. I like that a lot. Are there 5 string versions?
[/quote]

Not of the GTB/GTS models. According to the G&L website, the 5 string Tribute M-2500 is only available in black/maple or honeyburst/rosewood.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1398018639' post='2429625']
http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/guitars-basses/el-basses/trbx/trbx304/?mode=model

should be within your price range, available in white and get good reviews too...

only thing it's got a maple/mahogany laminate neck and rosewood board.
[/quote]

Tried one of these today, genuinely great range of tones from the 5-way switch, and then good fine tuning with the EQ. The example I played felt solid, and the small touches such as thumb indents in the pickup made it a pleasure to play.

For £250-260 new it's a bit of a bargain.

Aria SB?

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v40/Bloodaxe/Bass/SB-900/SB-900-002.jpg[/IMG]

That's my SB-900, which only came in Natural, Black, Walnut or Trans Red, but the very similar [url=http://www.bass-guitar-museum.com/bass-10512-Aria-Pro-II-SB-Elite-II-Bass-Cliff-Burton]Elite II[/url] was available in pearl white.

I'm pretty local to you if you want to give it a try.

Pete.

[quote name='bakerster135' timestamp='1398094111' post='2430342']
I played a G&L Tribute M-2000 at the gallery t'other day. Compared it to a L-2500 and EB Stingray, and I have to say it was a lot nicer sounding and very powerful. They're really amazing basses!
[/quote]+1 on this. I much prefer the M2000 to the L2000.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1398432553' post='2434071']

Not of the GTB/GTS models. According to the G&L website, the 5 string Tribute M-2500 is only available in black/maple or honeyburst/rosewood.
[/quote]

Shame. The white one is gorgeous. Black is boring and I'm not keen on the honeyburst :-(

Just a little thought are you sure you'd like a double humbucker?

I thought I did, bought a MM 4HH and also an old Sabre. Nice basses but the neck humbucker didn't really give what I wanted. It was nearer the Gibson mud bucker type sound. This isn't a bad sound, just not one I wanted. When I had a custom built I specified a P type, single coil pickup (albeit in a J casing, wound in opposing directions to buck the hum) and it is perfect. Full and rich rather than flappy and dull.

Of the two MM basses the neck pup on the Sabre is much the better, to my ear , I didn't get on with the 4HH at all, hollow muddy sound on the neck pup.

Def try the G&L. Would be my first stop now.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1398760263' post='2437223']
Just a little thought are you sure you'd like a double humbucker?
[/quote]

I'm certainly under the impression that I do. Which means nothing, of course. :)
Having watched various YouTube vids and read multiple reviews I now have inexplicable GAS for one of these:

Thing is I don't like the shape. In fact I don't like the look of it at all and probably wouldn't get on with the neck - also, it has precisely NO mojo whatsoever and wouldn't really fit in with the sleazy rawk image of my current band. And yes, I'm aware it's a 5-string!! :o

But I really [i]really[/i] like the way it sounds (at least in the context of listening to a bass online) and can imagine it working very well for our material, so... d[size=4]oes this mean that as I'm prioritising tone over appearance I'm (gulp) ... becoming less shallow?? [/size] :o

Also it seems to be something of a bargain and a LOT of bass for the money. Very versatile, too. By all accounts. What to do?? :(

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1398794606' post='2437698']

I'm certainly under the impression that I do. Which means nothing, of course. :)
Having watched various YouTube vids and read multiple reviews I now have inexplicable GAS for one of these:

Thing is I don't like the shape. In fact I don't like the look of it at all and probably wouldn't get on with the neck - also, it has precisely NO mojo whatsoever and wouldn't really fit in with the sleazy rawk image of my current band. And yes, I'm aware it's a 5-string!! :o

But I really [i]really[/i] like the way it sounds (at least in the context of listening to a bass online) and can imagine it working very well for our material, so... d[size=4]oes this mean that as I'm prioritising tone over appearance I'm (gulp) ... becoming less shallow?? [/size] :o

Also it seems to be something of a bargain and a LOT of bass for the money. Very versatile, too. By all accounts. What to do?? :(
[/quote]

I loved the TRBX I played the other day. Get it.

[quote name='thebuckets' timestamp='1398847121' post='2438103']
No shout for the Sandberg ken Taylor? Available in virgin white. Top notch bass imho
[/quote]

Ooh, I like the look of that - nice! Just a [i]little bit[/i] over my budget, unfortunately. :)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1398794606' post='2437698']

[/quote]

How odd - I thought of these when you originally asked the question, but decided not to put them forward because of your requirement for "traditional" body shapes :)