Why become a member? ×

Twin Humbucker Bass - Recommendations?

discreet

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1398849070' post='2438131']
How odd - I thought of these when you originally asked the question, but decided not to put them forward because of your requirement for "traditional" body shapes :)
[/quote]

I know, and you're right - I don't like the body shape! Nevertheless I think it may be a great bass... the more I get into this the more it seem I have no idea what I want! :D

I've never owned a Yamaha but there have been so many threads and posts on this board about the quality, tone and versatility of their basses - not forgetting the value. Perhaps it's time for me to move on from traditional forms and sounds and admit there may be more to life than F*nd*er!

See that, kids? Not all old people are stick-in-the-mud traditionalists. ;)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1398794606' post='2437698']
I'm certainly under the impression that I do. Which means nothing, of course. :)
Having watched various YouTube vids and read multiple reviews I now have inexplicable GAS for one of these:

Thing is I don't like the shape. In fact I don't like the look of it at all and probably wouldn't get on with the neck - also, it has precisely NO mojo whatsoever and wouldn't really fit in with the sleazy rawk image of my current band. And yes, I'm aware it's a 5-string!! :o

But I really [i]really[/i] like the way it sounds (at least in the context of listening to a bass online) and can imagine it working very well for our material, so... does this mean that as I'm prioritising tone over appearance I'm (gulp) ... becoming less shallow?? :o

Also it seems to be something of a bargain and a LOT of bass for the money. Very versatile, too. By all accounts. What to do?? :(
[/quote]

They come in a 4 string version :D

The eq and pickups on these are great, and you've got the option of bypassing the active eq and going passive.

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1398851299' post='2438158']
They come in a 4 string version :D
The eq and pickups on these are great, and you've got the option of bypassing the active eq and going passive.
[/quote]

I know, the TRBX 504. But I'm (gasp) thinking about a fiver, as my band are writing new material in which the guitarist is playing slide and experimenting with different tunings (yes I know), which means either me having two basses on the go or buying a five-banger.

So this year (after many decades) I've gone from being a Fender P man who plays with a pick to playing fingerstyle, considering non Fender-shaped basses and looking at more than the permitted number of strings! ;)

I blame Basschat for all of it. Heresy, I tells ya!

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1398851891' post='2438170']
I know, the TRXB 504. But I'm (gasp) thinking about a fiver, as my band are writing new material in which the guitarist is playing slide and experimenting with different tunings (yes I know), which means either me having two basses on the go or buying a five-banger.

So this year (after many decades) I've gone from being a Fender P man who plays with a pick to playing fingerstyle, considering non Fender-shaped basses and looking at more than the permitted number of strings! ;)

[/quote]

What's going on? It's not even mushroom season! :)

EDIT: TRBX 505 TWH. £449. From Thomann :o

Edited by Marvin

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1398862597' post='2438387']
I know this is out of budget but...
[/quote]

Yes, very nice indeed - I've been lusting after one of these already. :gas: But a lot of bass tokens, as you say.

[size=4]Though one thing that does put me off the more 'traditional' body-shaped basses (regarding five-stringers anyway) is the four-on-top, one-on-bottom tuner arrangement which looks awkward and unbalanced to me.[/size]

I think the Stingray three-on-top and two-on-bottom plan is a much better way to do it. :)

Where do you want the neck pup to be? Some are right up at the neck (Gibson et al), others, like the Lull, are in the P position. If you like the Yamaha sound, probably the P position is what you want.

The Stingray HH is up by the neck (probably why I didn't like mine) whereas the G&L are more P position.

Just an observation which might help to eliminate some from this difficult reckoning.

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1398931398' post='2439057']
Where do you want the neck pup to be? Some are right up at the neck (Gibson et al), others, like the Lull, are in the P position. If you like the Yamaha sound, probably the P position is what you want. Just an observation which might help to eliminate some from this difficult reckoning.
[/quote]

Thanks for this. You could also say that if I like the P sound, the Yamaha position is what I want. ;) Either way you're right - I'd prefer the neck pup to be in the P position as it is on my Hayman. It's the combination of the two pups that give me the sound I want. :)

[quote name='Ben Jamin' timestamp='1398875082' post='2438557']
Cort GB74 OR GB75? :) [url="http://www.cortguitars.com/uk/product/gb74"]http://www.cortguita...uk/product/gb74[/url]
[/quote]

A nice looking thing, but apparently there are doubts about the preamp. Online stuff - which probably means it's not true. I actually prefer the Artisan series, but the 5-string seems to be unavailable. Or put it another way, I can't find it anywhere. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1398869200' post='2438468']
Lakland 55-01 almost fits the bill Mark apart from I don't think they came in white :(
[/quote]

I was looking at those Dave, and they are indeed impressive. But as you say, there's no white option. You may say 'so what? It's the sound that's important' and you'd be right, but did I tell you I have a thing about white basses? ;)

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1398938034' post='2439137']
[url="http://www.guitar.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/t/r/traben-neo-4-string-aged-wh_1.jpg"]http://www.guitar.co...g-aged-wh_1.jpg[/url] Sorry.
[/quote]

Just had to post the pic of this... :)

[color=#ffffff]M[/color]

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1398851891' post='2438170']
I know, the TRBX 504. But I'm (gasp) thinking about a fiver, as my band are writing new material in which the guitarist is playing slide and experimenting with different tunings (yes I know), which means either me having two basses on the go or buying a five-banger.

[/quote]

me too gassing for a 5er now.
how about the bb1025(x)?

[quote name='thebuckets' timestamp='1398953707' post='2439371']
me too gassing for a 5er now.
how about the bb1025(x)?
[/quote]

Nice classic look, but I want a double-bucker. Very close now to pulling the trigger on a trbx505. :) GAS!!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1398939396' post='2439155']

Just had to post the pic of this... :)

[color=#ffffff]M[/color]
[/quote]
That is not a suitable place for such a pickguard.

Okay, this is definitely a long shot, since it's eBay and all (and nowt to do with me... :) but -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shergold-Modulator-Bass-Guitar-Hard-Case-VGC/360921297231?_trksid=p2045573.c100034.m2102&_trkparms=aid%3D555012%26algo%3DPW.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D22047%26meid%3D6602638111132144360%26pid%3D100034%26prg%3D9537%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D271417112502

[quote name='alyctes' timestamp='1398986411' post='2439814']
Okay, this is definitely a long shot, since it's eBay and all (and nowt to do with me... :) but -
[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Shergold-Modulator-Bass-Guitar-Hard-Case-VGC/360921297231?_trksid=p2045573.c100034.m2102&_trkparms=aid%3D555012%26algo%3DPW.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D22047%26meid%3D6602638111132144360%26pid%3D100034%26prg%3D9537%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D271417112502"]http://www.ebay.co.u...%3D271417112502[/url]
[/quote]

Wow. That would be the perfect partner for my Hayman 4040. :blink: *GAS*

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Ben Jamin' timestamp='1399141217' post='2441496']
My friend brought his Yamaha TRBX505 round this afternoon and it blew my mind.
[/quote]

D'OH!! :shok:
What's the 'B'-string like? How did it compare with your G&L?

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1399142544' post='2441510']

D'OH!! :shok:
What's the 'B'-string like? How did it compare with your G&L?
[/quote]

The B-string is good! It's not a Dingwall but it's perfectly usable. Finish and build quality is perfecto. Neck is a really nice shape - I normally like thicker necks but I felt really comfortable. Pick-ups are super fat and the 3-band EQ is well balanced.

I prefer my USA G&L because of the character of the pick-ups and I love the way the controls work - they're different sounds really - but in terms of quality they're very close!

I had a German Warwick $$ Corvette before the G&L and I'd take the Yamaha over that!

I really want one now :lol:

Edited by Ben Jamin