Why become a member? ×

Twin Humbucker Bass - Recommendations?

discreet

Why don`t you try the cheaper Yamaha trbx305? Some people who have played both trbx models prefer the cheaper version. I have the four string and it is an excellent bass. The fit and finish and 5 position selector switch are all superb.

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1399232560' post='2442314']
Why don`t you try the cheaper Yamaha trbx305? Some people who have played both trbx models prefer the cheaper version. I have the four string and it is an excellent bass. The fit and finish and 5 position selector switch are all superb.
[/quote]

Yes, I looked at that - though I like the idea of having the passive/active switch and find the EQ selector switch a bit gimmicky. Also I think the pups and the EQ on the 505 are better. On the other hand, if I really don't get on with 5 strings then it's less to lose when I move it on, I suppose and will certainly be good enough for me to make a decision about fivers. But... if I really get into fivers then I'll probably want to buy the 505! D'oh! What to do? A classic first-world quandary. ;)

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1399824450' post='2448030']
Isn't this basically what you want...
[/quote]

Kind of, but as I pointed out earlier in the thread (somewhere) I'm very shallow and don't like the look of 'em!

I can't decide. I think I'm going to give the whole concept of twin humbuckers a miss entirely and go down the Jazz route.
Bass-wise at least... not genre-wise, obviously. :P

[quote name='Thunderbird' timestamp='1399834564' post='2448184']
What about something like this [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/227553-overwater-by-tanglewood-contemporary-j-5-string-price-droppppppp/"]http://basschat.co.u...ice-droppppppp/[/url]
I dont know what the 5 stringers are like but I had a 4 stringer and thought it was very good :)
[/quote]

Good grief, that is surely a bargain..?

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1399833765' post='2448164']
I can't decide. I think I'm going to give the whole concept of twin humbuckers a miss entirely and go down the Jazz route.
[/quote]

FOUR pages and this is the conclusion? Aw hell no! ;)

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1399877235' post='2448436']
You can always get twin humbuckers fitted to a Jazz Bass at a later date.
[/quote]

Which brings us to the Fender Modern Player Jazz, which is where I came in. :D
I quite like the look of the Blacktop Jazz with the twin P pickups - but it's not available in white!!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1399884939' post='2448510']
[/quote]

True but the MP has none standard shaped pups which I think are quite wide so you'd be stuck with them, my thinking was that you could get a white VM Jazz 5 and replace the Jazz pups with say Bart or EMG sized ones then you can experiment with different makes of humbuckers :)

[quote name='Rumple' timestamp='1399885740' post='2448518']
True but the MP has none standard shaped pups which I think are quite wide so you'd be stuck with them, my thinking was that you could get a white VM Jazz 5 and replace the Jazz pups with say Bart or EMG sized ones then you can experiment with different makes of humbuckers :)
[/quote]

That is actually a really good idea, though I have to say that solution is a bit too logical and reasonable for this thread. ;):)

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1399886133' post='2448523']
That is actually a really good idea, though I have to say that solution is a bit too logical and reasonable for this thread. ;) :)
[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1399884939' post='2448510']
I quite like the look of the Blacktop Jazz with the twin P pickups - but it's not available in white!!
[/quote]

Say what?

Well, it's white-ish. 'White Chrome Pearl' is the official colour.

Edited by dannybuoy

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1399890694' post='2448600']
Standard Fender neck, so you can chop and change at will!
[/quote]

True, but yet more expense! :rolleyes:

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1399889895' post='2448584']
Stop wasting everyone's TIM, you.
[/quote]

No, this is real TIM-wasting... disturbing, too! :D

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd2pSLFjOas[/media]

Edited by discreet