Why become a member? ×

Possible (definitely) scam from Gumtree or North West Bands user.

itsmedunc

I got this reply to an ad for a Redsub combo that I have on Gumtree and North West Bands. Its also on here but you lads are too nice to try this one. Call me paranoid but I think this is a scam! If I'm wrong I will buy a hat and eat it. It was from a [email protected].

This is the reply I got -

Thank you for getting back to me. Am really satisfied in buying your AD.I'm ready to pay your asking price £275 including the PayPal transfer charges,How i wish i could come to inspect this item but currently i'm working away from the country... But the issue is i am an oceanographer and i do have a contract now so am presently on sea.The contract is strictly no call due to the lack of reception on the sea area. But I'm able to access email anytime as we will make use of laptop so my only quickest payment option is PayPal as i can send money via PayPal anytime.Since I'm requesting this transaction to be done via PayPal, i will be responsible for all the paypal charges on this transaction and if you don't have an account with paypal, its pretty easy, safe and secured to open one. Just log on to [url="http://www.paypal.com/"]http://www.paypal.com[/url]. I hope we can make the purchase as fast as possible? I have a mover that will come for it once payment clears and they will take care of very necessary paper for me.I need your PayPal Full name and email address so i can send the money now.

Many Thanks

What would you think?

I don't understand why you think this is a scam. The person is offering full asking price, paying your Paypal fees and when money has cleared will send somebody to collect item.................... what is the problem ?? Paypal insures your transaction, They might not be English, but is that a reason to not sell to them ?

[quote name='bigd1' timestamp='1396100158' post='2409942']
I don't understand why you think this is a scam. The person is offering full asking price, paying your Paypal fees and when money has cleared will send somebody to collect item.................... what is the problem ?? Paypal insures your transaction, They might not be English, but is that a reason to not sell to them ?
[/quote]

I take your point but doubt you are really being serious...?

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1396100382' post='2409946']
I take your point but doubt you are really being serious...?
[/quote]
Yes I am serious, I really can't see what you are all worried about.. They have not said they will deposit 500 squillion pounds in your account etc or they will pay you after you send the goods, in fact they have been the opposite. Willing to wait till funds clear etc. Why do you seem to think because he has a job away at sea they don't need a bass amp, they may want it for on ship to fill the long hours at sea. You know they might be a Bass player !!

[quote name='bigd1' timestamp='1396100993' post='2409954']
Yes I am serious, I really can't see what you are all worried about.. They have not said they will deposit 500 squillion pounds in your account etc or they will pay you after you send the goods, in fact they have been the opposite. Willing to wait till funds clear etc. Why do you seem to think because he has a job away at sea they don't need a bass amp, they may want it for on ship to fill the long hours at sea. You know they might be a Bass player !!
[/quote]
It is a phishing scam, the "buyer" wants to obtain the advertisers paypal ID and email address, and will probably attempt to hack the sellers paypal account via their email account.

[quote name='bigd1' timestamp='1396100993' post='2409954']
[/quote]
You must live in a very trusting and idealistic world: it has all the hallmarks of well known scams as detailed above. If I must be pedantic, why have they said "Am really satisfied in buying your ad"? I doubt that is what any genuine buyer would say given Gumtree ads are usually locally based. Why no enquiry about the amp? Why did they say "Ad"? Because they send out hundreds of these scam relies and can't be bothered to tailor them to the actual item being sold. Likely scenario is that the paypal link is false ( or they will send a dodgy link later) and as they have your paypal name already, will then get the ID and away they go. Any monies sent will then be reversed. I doubt Paypal will back you if you have revealed your id albeit through a hacked account, even if they do it will mean loads of hassle.

It's a well-known scam, the "Oceanographer" nonsense. I've seen it before. Unless there's someone living offshore with a huge collection of merchandise, it's fake, fake, fake. Eventually he writes you back that there's a problem, and you need to send a wire transfer for the "pickup fee":

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Fraud-phishing-and-spoof-Archive/more-oceanographer-scam/td-p/104606

[quote name='bigd1' timestamp='1396100158' post='2409942']
[/quote]

I would never agree to anything that contained a 'link' to paypal. The link will take you to a page that looks like paypal but it isn't. When you put in your details the scammers then have them and direct access to your bank account and whatever back up resources you have.

Here's the reply I received from paypal after reporting the attempted fraud -

[size=3]Hello duncan mitchell,[/size]

[size=3]Thanks for forwarding that suspicious-looking email. You're right - it
was a phishing attempt, and we're working on stopping the fraud. By
reporting the problem, you've made a difference!
Identity thieves try to trick you into revealing your password or other
personal information through phishing emails and fake websites. To learn
more about online safety, click "Security Center" on any PayPal webpage.
Every email counts. When you forward suspicious-looking emails to
[email="[email protected]"][email protected][/email], you help keep yourself and others safe from identity
theft.
Your account security is very important to us, so we appreciate your
extra effort.
Thanks,
PayPal
This email is sent to you by the contracting entity to your User
Agreement, either PayPal Ince, PayPal Pte. Ltd or PayPal (Europe) S.à
r.l. & Cie, S.C.A. Société en Commandite par Actions, Registered Office:
5th Floor 22-24 Boulevard Royal L-2449, Luxembourg RCS Luxembourg B 118
349.[/size]

Edited by itsmedunc

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1396132078' post='2410349']
I'm an oceanographer and I'm desperate to buy an amp but nobody takes me seriously.
[/quote]

Ive got a couple of Yamaha PS2500 power amps going into the market place soon , they are very capable ,

and will hold a steady volume even in a force 9 , and will hold a steady volume even in a force 9 ,

Stereo too :rolleyes:

send me your paypal sign ins and I will do all the paperwork for you :P