Why become a member? ×

Year of birth bass - options for 1977?

Bigwan

It's getting to that time where I'd like to get my hands on a YOB bass before the prices get astronomical. Obviously there's Fender to consider, although their prices may be beyond me at the minute, but what else is there out there? I know there is a wealth of rubbish but I'm thinking more along the lines of Yamaha BB1200 and the like. Caveats: I don't do Ricks, Gibsons or Stingrays or clones thereof...

Thought I'd it cracked straight out of the gate when I was offered an Ibanez MC800 yesterday in minty fresh condition, but alas it's 79 and production only started in 78...

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1395741391' post='2405597']
Caveats: I don't do Ricks, Gibsons or Stingrays or clones thereof...
[/quote]

Well, that's most of the "high quality" suggestions out the window - you are a tough bugger to please ;)

I've never understood the whole YOB thing myself - maybe it's because most of the 74's look better nick than me...... :(

[size=4]I did dabble with a couple of 1970's basses, and all they did was send me back [/size]clambering[size=4] for a modern one![/size]

[size=4]Good luck with the search.... :)[/size]

Hmm.

An Alembic might be the ultimate statement of 1977 but probably too astronomical...

Tobias? I think they started in '77. There's Hamer. Also Guild, but if you don't like Gibsons…

Or think much closer to home… not just Shergold/Burns but Dick Knight, Geoff Gale, Gordon-Smith, Chris Larkin, Pete Back… possible serious bargains in those areas…

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1395786159' post='2406412']
I envy you in a way - I'll never afford a '60 P!
[/quote]

But there's loads of other options for 1960. How about a Gibson EB2 or even better a Gibson EB0 with the original Les Paul Jr body shape. Failing that something European like Burns or Höfner?

Kramer look really good (and I've actually had hands on one and liked it as I recall). Travis Bean and Alembic are financially out of reach. Really like the Yamaha but they're pretty hard to find and date. There's some other very nice Japanese stuff to consider too. Hadn't considered Shergold but I'll have a look. When all's said and done a non-original Fender that needs TLC would probably be in reach! Cheers guys!

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1395825207' post='2406654']
Kramer look really good (and I've actually had hands on one and liked it as I recall).
[/quote]

Mmmmmm aluminium necked split headstock Kramer... I tried one of those out new back in the early 80s (before settling on my Westone some years later) and would love to find a decent instrument (though is it true that the aluminium necks can be a little unstable for tuning?). Good luck with the hunt!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1395786848' post='2406423']
But there's loads of other options for 1960. How about a Gibson EB2 or even better a Gibson EB0 with the original Les Paul Jr body shape. Failing that something European like Burns or Höfner?
[/quote]

Out of those I think I'd go for a Burns. Then again I can't remember ever seeing one up for sale on BC!

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1395836966' post='2406846']
Out of those I think I'd go for a Burns. Then again I can't remember ever seeing one up for sale on BC!
[/quote]

There's only a couple of models from 1960 though. I have a Sonic which was around then but from what I can see mine is one of the later revisions.

(Plus it's had loads of modifications so it's hardly original and if it was a 1960 model it would be my YOB bass so I not selling it)

I have thought about this as well - being a 1977 boy.

My problem is that I'm not sure I would get a lot out of a late 70's P, as from what I've read/seen they seem on the heavier side and 'pushed' in a stylised direction.

I am thinking of ditching the 70's, waiting for a significant birthday and buying myself an early 60's P as a birthday present! Damn the YOB bit, I just want a damn fine playable fat vintage fender P sound on a bass that will appreciate in value :)

Undecided as to whether refinishes matter... I would probably rather just have the original tatty finish.

So, my advice just find a good vintage bass that you will fall in love with and put a '77 sticker on it !

Rather than YOB, I always thought it would make more sense to buy yourself the dream bass you used to gaze at in fondness through music shop windows when you were about 13, and couldn't afford then.

I was still just a guitarist then, and have really gone off Les Pauls since 1990. Also, Gibson made sh*te guitars in 1990...
:(

Am hunting down a P-90ed SG though, any year will do, but must be cheapish and say Gibson on the headstock.