Why become a member? ×

How often do you flash?

bonzodog

Just wondering how much you monitor your clip lights. I use a Hartke HA3000 and am always doing my utmost to avoid the amp clipping at all which can be hard with my Fender MP with humbuckers. I often see other bass players allowing the amp to clip more and last week the bass player with the band we played with had his amp flashing red all night long. We used our own amps so wasn't too fussed but just wondered if I was being over cautious

If I remember correctly, it's not a problem for an amp to clip briefly irrespective of how often it does so, problems may arise if the amp spends prolonged periods clipping....I think that's right but no doubt someone with more technical knowledge will be along shortly to correct me if I am wrong

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1394020070' post='2386933']
Just wondering how much you monitor your clip lights. I use a Hartke HA3000 and am always doing my utmost to avoid the amp clipping at all which can be hard with my Fender MP with humbuckers. I often see other bass players allowing the amp to clip more and last week the bass player with the band we played with had his amp flashing red all night long. We used our own amps so wasn't too fussed but just wondered if I was being over cautious
[/quote]
Maybe upgrade to one of the newer LH500 heads , from the blurb I've read the pre stage is designed to not clip at all
I have the 2500 head and with tone/eq settings flat it does not audibly clip even with preA and master on full

Edited by steve-bbb

If clipping is bothering you, have you considered turning the preamp gain down a touch or is it as low as it can go?

Most amp manufacturer's directions for setting the preamp is to play until the clip light comes on at normal playing & then turn it back a small amount & then leave it. Set the volume with the power amp.

But like has been said, it's down to how you want to sound.

Depending on the amp, the light could come on when it is actually overloaded and clipping in a bad way, some amps light up when the input signal is in the ideal range, and they might have a tube stage to introduce soft clipping which is often desirable. On other amps, the light comes on when the power amp is reaching it's limit and the built-in limiter kicks in. Simply turn it down the gain if you hear unwanted distortion and don't pay to much attention to the light!

I use a Genz contour & the limit light flickers quite a lot (i started a thread about it amps & cabs). I was worried about doing damage but it sounds ok and the protection isn't dropping in so I guess I just need to look at the pre amp settings again. I was a bit disappointed when it started doing it at only half volume though.

It does seem to clip at a lower gain than I was expecting with my MP Jazz and assumed it was to do with the humbuckers. When I play my JHS Vintage P bass throiugh it I can normally get the gain higher. I was just concened whether I should be allowing it to clip at all, so at next gig I will probably allow it clip more so than I normally do and see what happens.
I do need a new amp though am looking for a LH500/1000 just need to raise the cash!!

the clipping we're on about here is pre-amp clipping, surely?

If your amp has a warning light for the power amp overloading then you should probably take it fairly seriously. My peavey has this, and I make sure it almost never lights up. That doesn't stop me clipping the pre-amp though if I want (which I don't)

[quote name='cheddatom' timestamp='1394116013' post='2388093']
the clipping we're on about here is pre-amp clipping, surely?

If your amp has a warning light for the power amp overloading then you should probably take it fairly seriously. My peavey has this, and I make sure it almost never lights up. That doesn't stop me clipping the pre-amp though if I want (which I don't)
[/quote]

The Hartke HA3000 does not actually say. Its labelled as a protect light and the manual does not say whether its pre or power amp

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1394118800' post='2388133']
Clipping power amp = bad. :angry:
[/quote]

Not really true with most modern amps, usually some limiting or compression will kick in to prevent hard clipping. And even hard clipping doesn't really damage the amp - its your speakers that are at risk.

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1394122602' post='2388176']
The Hartke HA3000 does not actually say. Its labelled as a protect light and the manual does not say whether its pre or power amp
[/quote]

Preamps don't need protection circuits. That would be the output stage.

From the manual:
[i]"7. Status LEDs - The bottom “Power” LED lights whenever the HA3000 is powered on
(see #8 below). The top “Clip” LED lights whenever the output signal rises to an
unacceptably high distortion level. The center “Protection” LED goes on for approximately
five seconds when the HA3000 is powered on and fades slowly when it is powered off.
While it is lit, all connected speakers are muted via mechanical relay, thus preventing any
“thump” from occurring."[/i]

So both the clip and protection LED's indicate what's happening in the power amp.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1394127268' post='2388246']
Thanks for the help. On the basis that it is my power amp that is clipping then I am right in my original post to ensure this does not flash.
[/quote]

Power amp clipping is just telling you that the amp can no longer ensure that the output signal is a faithful representation of the input signal - its not an "overload" warning since amps are generally designed so that they cannot be overloaded so long as they are driving a suitable speaker load.