Why become a member? ×

How does one go about trying out a bass...

Cameronj279

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1393374580' post='2379620']
Bass Direct is in Warwick, so that's a little bit closer at least!
[/quote]

Sadly still a 620 mile round journey :(

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1393375368' post='2379623']
I was looking at the dingwalls tonight (on Bass Direct) thinking it would be nice to try one!

Problem is, with the frets like that, it is going to take a bit of time to know if you get on with them, more time than you could probably justify in a shop!
[/quote]

True but I still think I'd get a decent idea of how it sounds with my (god awful) playing at least

[quote name='Cameronj279' timestamp='1393375701' post='2379626']

True but I still think I'd get a decent idea of how it sounds with my (god awful) playing at least
[/quote]

I think he was alluding to how you'd get on with the fanned fretboard, rather than the sound.

[quote name='Geek99' timestamp='1393402173' post='2379696']
....Fanned frets took five minutes to get used to....
[/quote]

They look awkward but they're not. 5 mins is the maximum.

They sound great, especially the 5 strings, but you've got to want that sound. I'd find a Dingwall owner who is closer and start talking to them. Find online reviews and comments, here and on Talkbass.

It's only 600 miles. Make a holiday of it. Visit Warwick Castle and other places of interest while you're there.

Fanned frets took five minutes to get used to
No biggie
[/quote]

This. I played one at the bass show last year, a fiver with a low F#, and it was astounding.
Alas, the basic tone of the instrument left me cold - not a fault of the bass, just not to my taste. Sheldon Dingwall is a top fellow though, we had quite a natter.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1393419210' post='2379947']
This. I played one at the bass show last year, a fiver with a low F#, and it was astounding.
Alas, the basic tone of the instrument left me cold - not a fault of the bass, just not to my taste. Sheldon Dingwall is a top fellow though, we had quite a natter.
[/quote]
+1 I tried a couple at Bass Direct last year, found the change from 4 to 5 strings harder than the change from parallel to fanned frets

[quote name='ML94' timestamp='1393425005' post='2380101']
Why do they have fanned frets ? I've always thought it looked stupid but I'm interested in the reason behind the funny looking frets B)
[/quote]

I think it's because it's a more natural shape for your hand to follow. I may well be wrong.

But having never played one I can't give you first hand experience of this. Seriously would love a go on one though.

[quote name='ML94' timestamp='1393425005' post='2380101']
Why do they have fanned frets ? I've always thought it looked stupid but I'm interested in the reason behind the funny looking frets B)
[/quote]

From the Dingwall website:

[b] WHY FANNED-FRETS?[/b]

[font=inherit][font=inherit]The frets are fanned to allow for a longer scale on the bass side and a shorter scale on the treble side of the instrument. This solves a few problems:
1) No longer will the B-string sound darker and less distinct compared to the other strings.
2) The G-string retains warmth and normal tension compared to extending the scale of all strings.
3) You will no longer have to adjust your attack depending on which string is being played due to the more even tension from string to string.
4) You will no longer find the tone adjustments for one string interfering with another due to the more even tone across the strings.
5) You will no longer be unheard and ignored by your audience due to the combination of the longer scale low strings and the even tonality across all the strings.[/font][/font]

Edited by Panamonte

I've been paying attention to the etiquette of trying basses in shops recently and it would seem that the way to do it, is to sit in the most awkward position for everyone else in the shop, preferably in the middle of a small walkway between the door and the shop, then play 180bpm slap licks at ridiculous volume interspersed with the odd bit of tapping. Then whenever you hear anyone else asking the guys in the shop for advice, make sure you loudly offer your opinion on what they really want to buy instead.... This seems to be the way things are done.

Edited by CamdenRob

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1393404323' post='2379727']
It's only 600 miles. Make a holiday of it. Visit Warwick Castle and other places of interest while you're there.
[/quote]

I went in there when I was a kid., It was expensive to go in, so my dad (reknowned for his hatred of spending money) told my mum and sister to go in, and we would wait. Then he got bored, so went to the back door adn said to the guard guy 'did you see them come out? they were right behind me' - he shrugged and let us in, so we went round for free.

My dad taught me good morals!

Fanned frets took five minutes to get used to
No biggie
[/quote]

Really? I look at fanned frets, and they look quite tricky to me. I've never seen them in real life though, let alone tried them.

On the other hand, I once thought the same about fretless basses. I've only played two fretless basses, but my opinion changed drastically when I did.

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1393425372' post='2380112']

I think it's because it's a more natural shape for your hand to follow. I may well be wrong.

But having never played one I can't give you first hand experience of this. Seriously would love a go on one though.
[/quote]
I agree - you start "curling" your hand straight away and it feels fine

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1393428263' post='2380177']
If you're thinking of spending Dingwall money, Bass Direct really is worth a visit.
[/quote]

Muzz is absolutely right! It's not the sort of thing you do every day, so well worth making a 'special trip'

But don't worry about the fanned frets, they're so easy to get used to. If I can play one; - [i][b]anyone[/b][/i] can!

Bass Direct have 3 secondhand basses in stock today, so if you bought s/h, - and didn't like it, you could always sell on at a minimal loss.

You're more than welcome to try mine Cam, but I'm down on the south coast of England! - Sorry.
Just buy one! You won't regret it! ;)