Why become a member? ×

Bought a squier over the fender

Twincam

Well I wussed out of buying a pawn shop mustang and went for the squier mustang instead.
Although I can afford the fender version I felt after several weeks of bass melancholy and my current level of playing ability, that I couldn't justify the purchase.
However there is a little part of me that says I made the wrong choice. Why was it maybe the wrong choice, I don't know maybe it's because I'm not used to doing the sensible thing.

I'd only feel I'd wussed out if I felt it was the worse bass. My favourite guitar for the last year is my Squier Telecaster, and given I own guitars costing 20-30 times more, that's saying something! If it's a good instrument, it's a good instrument - end of!

Don't feel bad, just enjoy your new bass!

I've owned several basses worth mega bucks and some amazing vintage Fenders. My current stable is 2 Squiers, a Vintage Modified and a Classic Vibe. I think they are every bit as good as the basses I've owned that were the wrong side of £1500 and it is nice to have money to spend on other things. It really does not matter what it says on the headstock. If you want a Fender get a Fender, if you want something else do what is best for you.

I own a Silver Squier, MIJ, Jazz Bass, that plays and sounds better than any of my previous Jazz Basses. Which included a Geddy Lee and a 62 non-export MIJ reissue, either of which cost me 3 times as much as the Squier. I used to own a 2001, Indonesian Squier Jazz Bass, that sounded better than all of my previous Jazzes and only cost me £95 secondhand.

Weird this. I've just sold my expensive USA Jazz because I've bought 2 new Squiers, a 50's tele in natural & maple and a VM amber precision. Both superb instruments and for what I play (church) and my level of incompetence they are more than adequate.
Also bought the £100 HB Jazz My Gas is fulfilled unless.......... :P

That said I have an SCPB-2 in my box....... :lol:

my band's guitarist and I both leave our more expensive instruments at home and both use a squier as our main instruments - I have a VM jaguar short scale which was a great buy considering it was £160 new. I haven't even needed to upgrade the pickups, the only upgrades so far are TI flatwounds, a switchcraft jack and a high mass bridge I had going spare in my bits box.

I`m currently using a 1991 Korean Squier as my main gigging bass. I have a 2011 US Precision, but for some reason am just loving the Squier at present - I think it`s the "bargain" factor - it cost £130 off of here but it plays like bases that have cost 4 or 5 times that sum. I`m now at the point where I let the fingers and ears make the choice, and they`re all happy with the MIK.

I wonder if sometimes when we have (let's call it) the 'budget' option, we put more effort into getting good performance out of it; whereas when something is expensive and claimed to display great attributes we believe that it's supposed to somehow do some of the work for us (and therefore we don't try so hard)?

I bought a totally amazing Squier CV P bass off here in January. It's an absolutely stunning instrument! Er, though I'm gunna be putting it for sale here soon...because I recently took possession of a USA P bass...yeah, go on, squeeze me into the dock as well :(

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1393452793' post='2380613']

I've had nothing but Skodas for 14 years now and I really wouldn't and couldn't waste my money on an inferior but more expensive Volkswagen.
[/quote]

That wasn't a passing of judgement on Skoda E.T. It was an admission of being shallow.

[quote name='njr911' timestamp='1393410330' post='2379810']
I've had (and have the P still) a Squier CV J and P and while they were great basses they always seamed a put me on until I could get the Fender equivolent.

I'm a badge snob :(
[/quote]
[quote name='Phil Adams' timestamp='1393447302' post='2380515']
Some of us just can't get past the "Skoda' badge. Guilty as charged M'Lud.
[/quote]

I'm a badge snob that also drives a Skoda :) Work that one out!

[quote name='tom1946' timestamp='1393396327' post='2379661']
Weird this. I've just sold my expensive USA Jazz because I've bought 2 new Squiers, a 50's tele in natural & maple and a VM amber precision. Both superb instruments and for what I play (church) and my level of incompetence they are more than adequate.
Also bought the £100 HB Jazz My Gas is fulfilled unless.......... :P

That said I have an SCPB-2 in my box....... :lol:
[/quote]

Thinking about one of those Precisions, how is it? Wish it had a lacqoured neck!

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1393529409' post='2381574']
I had the badge nicked off my Skoda. Work that one out!
[/quote]

It now sits proudly on a Silver Wraith radiator, and the car owner relaxes in the knowledge that the Spirit of Ecstasy is safely at home.