Why become a member? ×

P-bass, maple fingerboard, under £500... What's out there?

Jellyfish

I've got a rough idea, but I don't often delve into the 'Fenderish' end of things so I'm asking your assistance. It could be used, but I'd also like some ideas of new basses as I'll be down in London soon with a lot of shops available to trawl though... :D

Another couple of options in the Fender Modern Player series - not 'typical' Precisions, but the Tele bass (50's style precison body, 2 giant covered humbuckers) and the Jaguar bass (P/J pickups) have maple boards and are worth a look.

http://www.fender.com/en-GB/series/modern-player/modern-player-jaguar-bass-maple-fingerboard-black/

http://www.fender.com/en-GB/series/modern-player/modern-player-telecaster-bass-maple-fingerboard-butterscotch-blonde/

Edited by theyellowcar

+1 to try before you buy.

I had a £700 budget when I was in search of a maple P. I tried a USA hotrod, USA Special, two Mexican standards, a Mexican Special, a Matt Freeman Squire, a Roadworn series, and every maple P I could find over a 3 month period.
I didn't like the active sound of the MIM special (or the feel of the Jazz profile neck). The grain and finish on the two Mex standards was poles apart.
Then I was lucky enough to find my 'goldilocks' P in the form of a mint 50s Precision, in Cash Converters, for £320!
Wunjos in Denmark Street were offering a red one for under £500 last time I was in there, and that one was as good as mine in sound and feel. The neck on the 50s model is a bit 'marmite'. But for me it's got a perfect feel.

Edited by sixdegrees

Rather than getting one off the shelf it is maybe worth gathering together a bitsa for the perfect P bass? I bought a scruffy black 90s MIJ P bass on here with a Mighty Mite all maple Jazz neck on it and have fallen head over heels with it. Did a few other mods - P-retro, Wizard Trad pup, Hipshot bridge, La Bella Deep Talkin' flats - and it is my main gigging bass. The P-retro opens up the tone brilliantly - it will do Jamerson to Foxton.

[quote name='stingraybassman' timestamp='1392827680' post='2373205']
Shame you are set on maple, Lozz has a beauty of an MIJ Precision for sale!!
[/quote]

That would be an easy fix - stick a maple Mighty Mite neck on it, sell the original. :)

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1392826147' post='2373176']
Ah yes, I was going purely on new items, if considering used the Classic 50s is a fantastic bass. Used CIJ/MIJs are also worth a look, they have some of the nicest playing necks around for Fenders.
[/quote]
Yes agree - played one and it was very nice indeed. Pmt knock them out around £500, I would buy one new and I don't say that often

I tried the squier Matt freeman last week and it's fantastic for the money... IMO better than some of the Mexican standard models I've tried recently. Always pays to try before you buy with fender/squire in my experience.

If you can find one second hand, the classic series 70's P is brilliant, I bought mine from Lozz and it's probably the best P I've played.

Edited by goonerjoe