Why become a member? ×

You have more than 1 bass.. You stop playing in bands..

There are all manner of reasons why you would need more than one bass but the main one is playing live surely?

I've learnt from bitter experience not having a second back up on stage can be embarrassing to say the least! Maybe more so as I'm a lefty it's not practical to borrow an instrument from another band, but anything could fail mid-set, string breaks, battery dies (if it's active), input jack fails, or it just plain decides to not work.

It's not 'if' but 'when', innit.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1392793265' post='2372711']
With a second hand market that allows you to effectively rent basses , I've still got a fair few models id like to try
[/quote]

too true, I prefer to try a bass over some months rather than, say, minutes in a shop so I 'rent' in this fashion too. Plus I can only play one bass at a time, but i would feel uncomfortable without a backup for if the current bass gets sunlight on it and turns to dust

I'm GAS'd out!

I do play in a gigging band, but since December, I've been a mono-bassist. Came to the conclusion that more is nice, but TBH I'd rather put the money into other things.

Always liked the idea of a single bass and playing it to bits......should have done it years ago, but GAS always led me astray - even to owning various years of the same bass....!

No more 'which bass tonight?' and all that.

I personally think you need to get the curiosity out of the system, that's the only cure. In bands or just at home, the 1 bass thing is achievable when you get fed up wih blowing cash or run out of things to try!

I play in a band locally but must admit to a bit of an 80s basses addiction. Ebay and cash converters support my addiction. I recently got a mij charvette p bass in a mock crocodile case for £57... it would be rude not to.
The count is currently 12.
I tell myself that they will increase in value to I am infact putting a bit of money away. Im sure that money supermarket guy would tell me to get a grip but it interests me and I love old gear.
Guilty m'lord.

ive got 14 basses !! and dont know how many guitars ! but most have just sat there in there cases !! and now my finances have taken a turn for the worse !! and looking at what i use !! i know they got to go !! i got a ricky 4001 2nd hand around 10 years ago !! and loved it and never gigged with any thing else since !! and i got a real old aria pro !! sounds great !! plays great !! so that gets used for the odd jam and practice !! the rest just dont get a look in !! so i gues time to unload a few !! lol funny how we get into habits or preferances aint it !! lol

I've had loads since I started playing about 5 years ago and last year decided I like a Precision best. My small hands aren't too fussy about one but I like the simplicity of 1 volume and 1 tone. at 67 anything that makes life simple is worth it. :lol:

Plus the thump is very addictive!
My 'best bass' at the moment is a new MIM P, but I rtecently bought a new VM amber/maple jobbie and that's great too. I've just ordered a CV 50's to experiment with.

Also who can resist the HB Jazz (see basses) ?? Awesome bit of kit. Plus their 50's P bass is back it stock........ :gas: :blush: :happy:
It's fun without breaking the bank plus it gives me something to do now I'm retired. :mellow:

[quote name='Horizontalste' timestamp='1392730670' post='2372026']
I'm not a gay or out, but I think having one bass is kinda romantic. I think if you are happy with the sound and play it long enough it becomes an extension of the musical you. Kinda comfy like an old friend.

& on that note, I'll go do something manly & balance will be restored.
[/quote]

Hmmm...

Well I *am* gay, and *am* out - but I'm not sure about the relevance here...

I have one bass - my B.O. Thumb - have had it for 4 years now and have no GAS for any other. Kinda romantic huh? ;)

I currently have a family of five - three basses, an electric guitar, and an electro acoustic.

I haven't gigged playing anything other than the electro acoustic for a few years now, and I have to admit I am feeling slightly guilty about the third of my three basses (J&D Jazz) It's the only one on the rack that I can't provide a 'real' justification for owning, other than "it's surf green"

The rest all mean something to me sentimentally or get regular home use (or both!) so I would make a strong case for keeping all of them regardless of my gigging situation.

I have one of each type of bass, a Jazz and a Precision. No need for anything else. I play bass in bands, rarely play alone, can't see the point, so if I couldn't play in a band I'd probably sell up. Having basses but not playing in bands seems illogical to me, like owning a car and never driving it.

[quote name='FinnDave' timestamp='1393113670' post='2376434']
I have one of each type of bass, a Jazz and a Precision. No need for anything else. I play bass in bands, rarely play alone, can't see the point, so if I couldn't play in a band I'd probably sell up. Having basses but not playing in bands seems illogical to me, like owning a car and never driving it.
[/quote]

I guess some people just enjoy playing without the hassle of trying to organise three or four other people, get gigs, deal with shouty drunks etc...

[quote name='Mark Dyer' timestamp='1392800831' post='2372797']
There are all manner of reasons why you would need more than one bass but the main one is playing live surely?
[/quote]

Any of my basses will do a decent job in a live situation and are robust enough that they probably don't need a backup. I'm much more likely to notice the differences between them at home (like last night playing some funk stuff I thought the Jazz would be better than the Aria but it wasn't).

I like bass guitars. I have 14 of them at the moment. I am endlessly curious about what one will offer over and above another, so keep getting new ones. :D I enjoy them all and for home practice and rehearsals will use any or all of them according to whim. I have a couple that are main gigging basses, but will sometimes use one of the others just for the sake of it. None are boutique or particularly expensive (my JV0 Squier P Bass being the most expensive by some way) - most cost me between £150-200. But, even if they had cost me several grand each, what does it matter?

If you can afford them, you want them and have the space to keep them then what the heck. :)

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1393141720' post='2376502']
I guess some people just enjoy playing without the hassle of trying to organise three or four other people, get gigs, deal with shouty drunks etc...
[/quote]

That's where the fun is! Seriously, though, the reason I play is because I enjoy the interaction and the unexpected results that arise from playing loosely arranged material with a bunch of other people. Playing on my own, or playing in a rigidly disciplined group is of no interest to me at all.

Edited by FinnDave