Why become a member? ×

Trevor Bolder

madshadows

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1392628845' post='2370672']
Is this the song where Trevor goes to the chorus too early? I'm sure if that was the case they could have dropped the bass in on an overdub?
[/quote]I believe leaving errors in songs is something that Bowie was fond of, he cited the Jean Genie clanger in Sean Mayes' diary of the tour for 'Lodger' and 'Stage'. Possibly why you've got all the musicians swapped onto different instruments on the much later 'Boys keep swinging'.
Some great lines from Trevor Bolder though, I've always loved 'John, I'm only dancing' for the walking on the chorus. A very musical player, wasn't he taught a brass instrument as a kid?

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1392628845' post='2370672']
I'm sure if that was the case they could have dropped the bass in on an overdub?
[/quote]

Not easy when it's live a live perfomance recorded directly onto a VTR. Quadraplex (2") VTRs of that era only had mono sound tracks.

BTW I did spot a mic over the drum kit.

[quote name='The fasting showman' timestamp='1392631738' post='2370726']Some great lines from Trevor Bolder though, I've always loved 'John, I'm only dancing' for the walking on the chorus.[/quote]

+1 - and in a similar vein "Panic In Detroit" from "Aladdin Sane", one of my fave Bowie tracks of all time.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf0fmqWS-kI[/media]

Never met him but saw him play with Heep, terrific player and often overlooked. Always looked like he was fretting (parden the pun) over something onstage but produced glorious lines with n'er a duff note. I think he was quite bitter over his departure from the Bowie band for a long time (along with the drummer) as he always claimed they were never really told that they wouldn't be part of the next album though others in the camp say it was pretty much an open secret that the band would be broken up after Aladdin Sane.

Much as I know it isn't a sound that would work for me (I'm too damned soft) I think he sounds great using an EB3, he really digs in. Was the Fender Mustang ever used anywhere other than on the Whistle Test?
The 'Moonage Daydream' book by Mick Rock and Bowie sheds some light on backline of that era, there's definitely a Marshall Major and 4x15 in use amongst other Marshalls.

Edited by The fasting showman

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' timestamp='1392645085' post='2370985']
In the early 80s I was very briefly in a band with his brother Andy. He was a far better guitarist than I was bass player and I didn't last long. :blush:
[/quote]

Wow, you're nearly famous!! :gas:[size=4] *Hero worship*[/size]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1392648565' post='2371032']
Wow, you're nearly famous!! :gas: *Hero worship*
[/quote]

Pah! That's nothing!

I've shaken hands with someone who once shook hands with The Beatles.

And I've been photographed with someone who played bass for Elvis Presley.

That means I'm much more 'nearly famous' than Ian, so there!

Top of the pops was pre-recorded recreated tracks in studio and then mimed or just the vocals live.
Some where re-mixed from master tapes.
Adam Ant got booted for refusing to do this and demanding to play live to stand and deliver and his video had to be shown instead.
Odd facts...

[quote name='spacey' timestamp='1392842278' post='2373475']
Top of the pops was pre-recorded recreated tracks in studio and then mimed or just the vocals live.
[/quote]

Not in this instance apparently. The cameraman who kept the only tape copy of this performance and who also happens to be a friend tells me that it was a fully live performance mixed in the studio by Dickie Chamberlain. His camera was fitted with a prototype fisheye lens, a product he was developing. He asked for a copy of the performance in order to demonstrate his lens and the tape stayed in his archive until it was rediscovered in 2012. Good job he did otherwise this particular performance would have been lost forever as the BBC accountants decided they could save money by wiping and re-using tapes, which at £200 a reel was, to them, a significant saving.