Why become a member? ×

I'm in love

ianrunci

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alembic-Stanley-Clarke-Series-2-Cocobollo_W0QQitemZ200235844170QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item200235844170&_trkparms=72%3A638%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alembic-Stanley-Clar...id=p3286.c0.m14[/url]

I wish I was rich :)

[quote name='Clive Thorne' post='234262' date='Jul 7 2008, 04:25 PM']Well yes, the wood is lovely, but I don't like the shape at all.

However it does lead me to ask what exactly, of practical use, do you get in a 16K bass that you would not get in a 1K (or even less) bass?[/quote]

No knobs by the look of it.

Cant see the point really.

Don't like it really, I'm not a fan of funiture basses unless they're exceptional, although, being an Alembic, it'll play extremely well and be very versatile, but....unless I had enough cash to literally piss up the wall with it, I wouldn't go near it.

[quote name='Buzz' post='234357' date='Jul 7 2008, 06:18 PM']Don't like it really, I'm not a fan of funiture basses unless they're exceptional, although, being an Alembic, it'll play extremely well and be very versatile, but....unless I had enough cash to literally piss up the wall with it, I wouldn't go near it.[/quote]

+1

I don't get the furniture bass thing either but i like bright colours i guess it's a taste thing as is everything, personally wouldn't pay more than £600 for a bass unless i was really flush.

I used to own a Tanglewood Warrior furniture bass i know what your thinking, it is suppose to be the best bass in the world but i didn't get on with it :)

[quote name='ianrunci' post='234107' date='Jul 7 2008, 01:10 PM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alembic-Stanley-Clarke-Series-2-Cocobollo_W0QQitemZ200235844170QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item200235844170&_trkparms=72%3A638%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alembic-Stanley-Clar...id=p3286.c0.m14[/url]

I wish I was rich :)[/quote]

Typical of this materialistic society :huh: :huh:

• 3 weeks later...

I've played this very instrument. It is breathtaking.
Balance - perfect on strap or sitting (it actually feels like a long-scale given the position of the toggle)
Electronics - not as difficult as it looks - if in doubt, open everything up full
Middle pickup - yes, a dummy hum-canceller

Edited by lozbass

I've got one, MK with sig electronics, and prior to playing one I would have said much the same as has been said about 'furniture basses'. At the end of the day I don't give a f*** what it cost (it's tax deductible anyway) and don't care If I scratch it (I do take care, but it's to be played) It is just, by a million miles, the closest representation of what I want to hear of any bass I've ever played, it is [b][i][u]the best[/u][/i][/b]. It has massive presence of sound in any gig situation. I've gigged it in some pretty large rooms (O2 arena being the biggest) just pre amp to desk and laughed out loud at how it filled the room with warm pleasing sound. I don't mean that can't be acheived by other instruments, it's just that this one works for me.... can you tell?!?

I should make the point that for me it is also a tool of the trade, most tradesmen want the best tools for them, I'm no different.

Edited by jakesbass

[quote name='Rich' post='247626' date='Jul 25 2008, 10:37 AM']Nah, being me is highly overrated. :huh:[/quote]

I wouldn't say that, mate :) After all, you gave your neighbour a fighting chance when his chips were down.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='247593' date='Jul 25 2008, 10:14 AM']I've got one, MK with sig electronics, and prior to playing one I would have said much the same as has been said about 'furniture basses'. At the end of the day I don't give a f*** what it cost (it's tax deductible anyway) and don't care If I scratch it (I do take care, but it's to be played) It is just, by a million miles, the closest representation of what I want to hear of any bass I've ever played, it is [b][i][u]the best[/u][/i][/b]. It has massive presence of sound in any gig situation. I've gigged it in some pretty large rooms (O2 arena being the biggest) just pre amp to desk and laughed out loud at how it filled the room with warm pleasing sound. I don't mean that can't be acheived by other instruments, it's just that this one works for me.... can you tell?!?

I should make the point that for me it is also a tool of the trade, most tradesmen want the best tools for them, I'm no different.[/quote]
I had the pleasure of hearing and seeing Jake's Alembic last weekend at the Manchester Jazz Festival.

It's a stunning instrument. It makes me take back my earlier comment about being scared to gig with one. Why own one and not gig with it?

One day...... :)

[quote name='ianrunci' post='234107' date='Jul 7 2008, 01:10 PM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alembic-Stanley-Clarke-Series-2-Cocobollo_W0QQitemZ200235844170QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item200235844170&_trkparms=72%3A638%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Alembic-Stanley-Clar...id=p3286.c0.m14[/url]

I wish I was rich :)[/quote]

MB1. :huh:
Been There!...Done That!

Hmmm.... I dont get it. Standard (as far as it gets...) Alembic c. $8000. How's this one 4 times the cost?

I too am bemused by where the extra money goes. Its not on the wood, the design is pretty standard (apart from the shape) and the electronics can't be THAT expensive...

Strikes me as overpriced bling for peoplle with more money than sense...

I wish I earned enough to have £16,000 of tax to deduct!

[quote name='MananaMan' post='248013' date='Jul 25 2008, 06:12 PM']Strikes me as overpriced bling for peoplle with more money than sense...[/quote]
Welcome to the world of new Alembic Series bass owners. :) Although the Alembic bass forum does contain some of the more consistently insightful bass players that I've encountered on the internet.