Why become a member? ×

So I wrote a little article on my blog....

jimcroisdale

Hey all,

I just wrote a little article about a few popular misconceptions about bass cabs.

You can find it [b][url="http://www.theheatfunctionband.co.uk/bass-myths/"]HERE[/url][/b]

As you can see, I've come under a little bit of criticism - apparently, everybody apart from beginners knows this stuff?

In my experience, many many people certainly do not.

Comments welcome, both here and on the blog!

Jim

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1391017483' post='2352342']
I thought it was very informative and not patronising at all.
[/quote]

+1. I suspect the lady who responded on your blog is defensive about everything. I'd simply pity her husband/partner/significant other.

[quote name='hamfist' timestamp='1391018106' post='2352355']

+1. I suspect the lady who responded on your blog is defensive about everything. I'd simply pity her husband/partner/significant other.
[/quote]

You asume she has a husband/partner/significant other. Who would live with that attitude?

The number of times we get posts on here asking 'basic' stuff about ohms of multiple cabs suggests that there are quite a few people out there who don't know this stuff. And why should they? - we're not born knowing about Ohm's law so we have to learn about it and asking questions seems perfectly reasonable to me, as is proactively explaining such things as in this example. I wouldn't worry about it, she's the one with the problem.

Good informative piece. I've only learned some of this stuff in the last few years, mostly from BC, and I've been playing for a very long time.
Have to say I particularly enjoyed "My worst ever gig" and "Things to know if you're dating a musician".
Quality.

Thought it was written in a very friendly style, not the slightest bit patronizing.

Only bit that isn't entirely clear is the bit about speaker throw - OK the signal may not be able to change but acoustics have a major factor on the sound, and cabs will sound very different when you are a metre away from when you are out front, which could be what people mean by sound developing.

Not worthy of some crazy trolling, just a point that may get misconstrued!
Cheers,
Mike

Incidentally, would the community here on BC mind if I occasionally mentioned a new blog post that I'd done? I wouldn't mention gigs or owt like that, perhaps just the stuff pertaining to bass gear?

I guess I could put band stuff in another section on the forum?

I'm working on a guide to covers band promotion and wondered whether anyone might find it useful. Contributions welcome!

"Plus the posts are far too long" ? I think that sums up the attitude of too many people lately - they don't have the attention span to read and understand anything that's longer than a Twitter post !

Some things cannot be adequately explained in a paragraph. If you try to do that then all you end up with is "xxx is crap and yyy is good" with no explanation of why this might be so, which is a complete waste of time.

No, I think it's a good blog post - not too long and with enough detail in it to stimulate some thought at least.

Don't be put off !

[quote name='jimcroisdale' timestamp='1391016654' post='2352322']
As you can see, I've come under a little bit of criticism - apparently, everybody apart from beginners knows this stuff?

In my experience, many many people certainly do not.

Jim
[/quote]

You are right... but in my opinion you did not dig deep enough.

If it has to be loud, the two "12 or even single modern "12 is more than enough - just like you wrote.

But I tried GK 212, TC 212, TecAmp 212 (best out of those three IMO), and I get much better results with bigger stacks.
With bigger stack you don't have to be loud to fill the room gently but with authority :)

I always struggled with 210 (pure terrible!!!), single "15 or 212 (best out of those three options).
Now I use 210 + 115 (and everybody says do not mix speaker sizes heh) and I can set the volume much lower than ever.
The sound is finally balanced, finally there are no too loud, boomy or too quiet notes, finally I hear and feel the bass in whole room.

It's not a matter of having speaker closer to ears, because I always prefer to stay away from my cab to hear whole band and the bass in a band context.

To sum up - for the pure volume - yes, your article is 100% right. In real life there's always more than just a volume needed.
Especially when you don't use your amp just as a personal monitor (why the hell should I buy nice amp and cab to use it JUST as a personal monitor? I can use Behringer amp for that!)

Edited by mazdah