Why become a member? ×

NBD Limelight Guitars

peety

[quote name='martthebass' timestamp='1398880108' post='2438643']
Well mine is now ready other than the set up so I'll be getting to grips with her next week. In the end it's on the heavy side of medium-relic as I took one that was nearly finished. The body is heavy relic, the neck medium and the metal work is tarnished but not rusty or gunky in line with my original spec. Anyway this is worthless without pics, so here we go:
[/quote]

Wow. I really like the OP precision but your jazz is just stunning! I know where my next bass will be coming from :-)

[quote name='Angel' timestamp='1399142003' post='2441504']
How does one go about procuring one of these basses?????
[/quote]

Here ya go...
[url="http://www.classicandcoolguitars.co.uk/basses.htm"]http://www.classicandcoolguitars.co.uk/basses.htm[/url]

I asked a few questions about one I bought used off here (no 125 Olymic white over sunburst P bass with Heavy relic, actually the one at the start of this thread!) and he always responded fairly quickly. AFAIK when I asked him if you wanted a custom order you'd need to add about £100 to the normal price. After I set mine up to my personal preferences it plays [i]really[/i] nicely with a very low action B)

[quote name='Angel' timestamp='1399150252' post='2441626']
I found that site, but didn't see anything about getting a relic made up?
[/quote]

Just email the guy!

He made me an amazing 70s p in battered Olympic white. It's a great great bass. His pickups are fantastic. I was expecting to immediately swap them out for Fender custom shop or lollar, but they're staying.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1399242143' post='2442456']
Oh God, I've made enquiries about a 1960 stack-knob Jazz relic. I think I need some sort of counselling, or something. :blink:
I've got GAS for about five different basses at the moment. I'm sure it never used to be like this.
[/quote]

I made an enquiry today too and when I made it clear that the enquiry was just to help me make up my mind and see how long the build would be so that I could think about moving on one of my other basses first, Mark was very understanding. Not only that, Mark offered to do some research for a part-ex price on my bass. Got every response super-fast (and on a bank holiday!)... People could learn a lot from his excellent level of service.

Devils advocate; how do you know they were nice basses to start with? As far as I know you can't get a non-relic'd Limelight...

I think each to their own. I've never bought a relic'd instrument but I think these Limelight ones look great - esp as they don't all have the exact same relicing on every bass like other brands do.

Not going to help here I fear.
My heavy relic black Jazz 63 turned up today. Now I'm still not sure if I'm for or against the relic look, but this bass feels old as well as looks old. The neck is sublime - it has a chunkier neck profile than most Modern JBs I've played but it feels so comfortable and the relicing treatment on the neck makes it nice and fast. In terms of relicing detail, it is much better than Fender RW. For example the small crack in the pickguard and the ageing of the tortoise is very well done.
One thing I wasn't expecting was the sound......I don't know where a Mark gets the pups from but they are sublime! The neck is beautifully honky and the neck dials in nicely to add bite in spades.

In summary, the looks may not be to everyone's taste but I can't argue with the results either in the feel/playability and the sounds.

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1399551107' post='2445209']
Anyone know if they do block/bound necks?
[/quote]
I sincerely hope they don't. Otherwise my GAS for a CAR Jazz with blocks/binding & matching headstock may become too great to withstand.