Why become a member? ×

Mundane plodding.

xgsjx

Something got me wondering about a lot of bands that my fellow guitars seem to like & the bass lines that are in them.

I'm talking about the middle of the road rock bands, like Kings of Leon, Stereophonics, U2 & so on. You know, mostly straight 8s.

I like a lot of this sort of music to listen to on occasion & from a singer's point of view, they're great for the audience to sing along with, but surely even the guitarists must find playing it almost as mundane as us bassists do?

Or maybe it's the way forward if you want to earn money?

I saw this advert & thought to myself, the only reason a bassist would take that job is for the money or if they haven't been playing too long. I couldn't think of a worse curse for a creative bassist...

http://www.joinmyband.co.uk/classifieds/bass-player-for-stereophonics-tribute-band-t587173.html

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1389740858' post='2337530']
. . . . they're great for the audience to sing along with . . . .
[/quote]

Entertainment for the audience or indulgence for the band?

I guess there's a spectrum from poppy-pop-pop (= mass entertainment appeal) right through to prog-rock-style (or unfathomable jazz?) indulgence that's primarily for the musos concerned and it's a bonus if an audience likes it as well. :lol:

I'm generally considered a fairly busy player but I've never understood why people have issues with plodding basslines. But maybe that's because I'm a songwriter first and whatever suits the song is the most important thing IMO. AC/DC could be said to
have plodding basslines but anyone who thinks they need busying up is barking up the wrong tree entirely.

Don't get me wrong, it has it's place. My starting point as a bassist was U2, Van Halen, AC/DC & The Cult, but there's a lot of great rock bands that have great bass lines (that could have easily been replaced with plodding).

Like 4000, I take the baseline as part of the song & consider myself a musician first, playing what fits with the song, but surely if you're plodding every single song on the set, it must get mind numbing unless you get paid like Adam Clayton does.

[quote name='4000' timestamp='1389741455' post='2337548']
I'm generally considered a fairly busy player but I've never understood why people have issues with plodding basslines. But maybe that's because I'm a songwriter first and whatever suits the song is the most important thing IMO. AC/DC could be said to
have plodding basslines but anyone who thinks they need busying up is barking up the wrong tree entirely.
[/quote]

+1, it's been discussed in the past but there's nothing wrong with the way someone plays an instrument providing the music being produced is of a high quality and sounds good. In fact it's a pretty shallow means of judging music, unfortunately too many people do it.

'PLODDING' is such a f***ing ugly word.

One thing I've learned over the four years I've been in Kit Richardson's band is that less really is SO MUCH MORE. I used to try to be 'clever' and the thing is, the songs need the frequencies, the essence of bass, the richness and rhythm. Not a load of auld ballocks from a bassist who thinks he will get respect or self-worth from slinging in twiddly bellend sh*t every few bars.

You need to decide if you are a bassist or a musician. You have to train your mind to make decisions that go against your need for adoration and learn to enjoy it. The band, the singer and the songwriter are the priorities, NOT the individual backing musicians.

The OP needs to flip reverse it.

Edited by xilddx

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1389749737' post='2337603']...who thinks he will get respect or self-worth from slinging in twiddly bellend sh*t every few bars...[/quote]

Spoken like a true drummer..! This ^ is the truth. :)

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1389749737' post='2337603']
f***ing ugly ... SO MUCH MORE. I used to try to be ... a load of auld ballocks ... twiddly bellend sh*t ... need for adoration... the singer ... needs to flip
[/quote]

Nige, you're such a milquetoast these days. Where did all the fiery passion go? :(

I play very simple basslines in my reggae band, sometimes just root and five throughout. Also, there are often just two chords alternating throughout the entire song. I love it. In the past, I've played in jazz funk bands, jazz function stuff and various rock and indie stuff, but I think I'm enjoying this band more than ever.

With much of this type of music, repetition is an essential part of the song, to help create a catchy, pulsing, hypnotic bounce. Any fancy fills would just mess up the feel. Consequently, it is hugely enjoyable, that feeling of being totally at one with the band. Of course, it helps that the bass gets to be huge in the mix :-D

Also, it allows you to really focus on the subtle nuances of your playing. Things like note length, placement and dynamic are often overlooked when playing a busier line.

Edit, I know this is different to 'plodding' rock eights, but if think some of the points are relevant.

Edited by Roland Rock

After a certain point I believe it's far more important to play in the right place in the groove (on, pre or post beat, whatever's best for the song) rather than just 'getting off on your own competence' remember why you play in a band, to make music with others, play what's best for the song and remember the 'band' should always be the winner.

I'm in agreemen. As I've said, I'm a musician & know a bassist is contributing to the end sound that the punter hears.
I wasn't talking about putting twiddly bits at the ends of verses etc.
I'm talking about how it might be to be in a band where every song has an uber simple bassline. Yes, there's a lot of good songs that only need that, a Hysteria by Muse could have had that sort of bassline if it was by Stereophonics, but it doesn't & it's driving the song.
I appreciate a less is more approach & knowing when not to play.

I've learnt Been Caught Cheating by the Stereophonics for my band. A simple blues plod... But every note has power if played right. The plodding should suggest the bass wants to break free and run. This frustrated energy gives a song alot of emotional power. You need to feel it.

There's an art to 'plodding' away holding down 4's or 8's. Anyone who thinks it's beneath them as a bass player to play these kind of parts is serioulsly missing out. The notes may be simple but it's all about making it drive/swing/groove/bounce (delete where applicable) which is where the skill and fun comes in.

Guest bassman7755

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1389741938' post='2337556']
Don't get me wrong, it has it's place. My starting point as a bassist was U2, Van Halen, AC/DC & The Cult, but there's a lot of great rock bands that have great bass lines (that could have easily been replaced with plodding).
[/quote]

All of the above have "great" bass lines in terms of whats needed for the songs.

I thought this thread was going to be about banal police work, ha ha! :rolleyes: [size=4]*Sigh* [/size]

Well less IS more... jazz is the teacher and funk is the preacher. It's about what you [i]don't [/i]play... and the [i]groove[/i].
Having said that, I can be busy at times. All my bandmates have to say is, 'Oi, Jaco... what the f*ck??' :D

Edited by discreet