Why become a member? ×

Signature Basses That Don't Exist...But Should

Freddy Le Cragg

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1388692661' post='2324989']
The point of them is to fire up the imagination of the bass - buying public and encourage them to keep buying Fender basses by using the power of association.
[/quote]

Surely that's a contradiction in terms? People with their imagination stirred buying Fenders?

If this thread had cropped up even a short while ago, I'd have nominated Bruce Thomas (Attractions). Much unsung and under-rated.

However I discovered yesterday that the Bass Centre have recently released a BT sig. Bruce's blog about it [url="http://www.brucethomas.co.uk/?page_id=24"]here[/url]

[size=3]The Bruce Thomas 'Profile' - a snip at £495[/size]
[color=#ffffff][size=3].[/size][/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='Immo' timestamp='1388763867' post='2325784']

Klaus Flouride's legendary JB.

Package should include strap, DK car sticker and a small jar of blood to stain the pickguard. ;)
[/quote]
....plus a bass hanger with 'from Geoffrey to you' written on it. ;)

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1388755219' post='2325624']
That's two of us in the market for one but i don't see them catching on somehow. :(
[/quote]

Although chances are if they existed, I couldn't afford one! I'd be more likely to adapt a cheap old short-scale bass, which in some ways would be a more authentic approach than buying one.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1388778229' post='2326027']
Although chances are if they existed, I couldn't afford one! I'd be more likely to adapt a cheap old short-scale bass, which in some ways would be a more authentic approach than buying one.
[/quote]
I have actually converted a cheap (£35 B-Stock from Gear4Music) Reverse Jaguar Guitar into a 2-String Bass which is tuned D-A.

If you are ever in London Town then you are most welcome to have a strum on both that or my Krappy Guitars 'Sandman/Morphine tribute' 2-stringer!!!

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1388755219' post='2325624']
That's two of us in the market for one but i don't see them catching on somehow. :(

I do have a Krappy Guitars 'Mark Sandman/Morphine' inspired 2-String Bass though. :)
[/quote]
How does you're 2 stringer play? I was always curious about those Krappy Guitars but put off by their disclaimer.

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1388692917' post='2324994']
Owning two sig basses, I actually feel mixed about them. In principle, I find the idea of owning a replica of someone else's bass odd (unless you're in a tribute band or a HUGE fan!) so I went for the whole 'go in and try as many as possible and buy the one that is best!' idea. Both times that turned out to be the signature model. There isn't a jazz bass I've played with a neck quite like the Geddy. For me, I loved it and wouldn't have had that profile on a standard production model.

Similarly, I went for the Nate Mendel precision because the neck profile is so different to the other standard precision neck profiles and the addition of the bad ass bridge, quarter pounder and nitro finish swung it.

I suppose the feel and sound rather than the signature on the headstock made the decision for me.
[/quote]

My sentiments exactly, except in my case I have the Fender Stu Hamm Urge Mk 1 because it has the 32" scale (and other things), and I have the Ibanez Garry Willis GWB 35 because it is a five string lined fretless at a sensible price and Ibanez build quailty.

In fact I'd never heard of Stu Hamm or Gary Willis until I bought the basses.

I also find the idea of wearing a band's merchandise to that band's concerts a bit "odd", and never do it myself, however much I rate the band or artist.

[quote name='Grassie' timestamp='1388768271' post='2325875']
A Fender Herbie Flowers jazz bass would be cool.
[/quote] ahem http://www.bassgear.co.uk/product/4-string-bass-guitars-po/herbie-flowers-jazz-replica-2/ :)

I would like a bass that sounds like the one the really cool guy who's name I forget played on graceland.

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1388780107' post='2326066']
How does you're 2 stringer play? I was always curious about those Krappy Guitars but put off by their disclaimer.
[/quote]
I've had a go on a couple of Krappy guitars. Kevin at Krappy has just made me the 2-String Bass but it hasn't arrived yet. I'll let you know all about this one once it arrives but generally they are what they are. I know that's a bit sketchy but i think when you buy one your opinion is based on what you think you are getting rather than what it is. I hope that makes some sense. Whatever anyone thinks of them they are fun!

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1388692917' post='2324994']
Owning two sig basses, I actually feel mixed about them. In principle, I find the idea of owning a replica of someone else's bass odd (unless you're in a tribute band or a HUGE fan!) so I went for the whole 'go in and try as many as possible and buy the one that is best!' idea. Both times that turned out to be the signature model. There isn't a jazz bass I've played with a neck quite like the Geddy. For me, I loved it and wouldn't have had that profile on a standard production model.

Similarly, I went for the Nate Mendel precision because the neck profile is so different to the other standard precision neck profiles and the addition of the bad ass bridge, quarter pounder and nitro finish swung it.

I suppose the feel and sound rather than the signature on the headstock made the decision for me.
[/quote]

+1 for this reply. The only sig bass I've owned was a Roscoe Beck V.

I bought it purely for what the bass played like and sounded like (and I just happened to love what it looked like) Nothing to do whatsoever with Roscoe Beck being some sort of hero. He just happened to help design a bass that really worked for me. I would still have bought it if it had said Deirdre Barlowe on the headstock. :P

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1388780612' post='2326077']
I've had a go on a couple of Krappy guitars. Kevin at Krappy has just made me the 2-String Bass but it hasn't arrived yet. I'll let you know all about this one once it arrives but generally they are what they are. I know that's a bit sketchy but i think when you buy one your opinion is based on what you think you are getting rather than what it is. I hope that makes some sense. Whatever anyone thinks of them they are fun!
[/quote]

Cheers. That's kind of what I'd imagined, and why I've not pulled the trigger. Sometimes the journey is more fun than the destination! I might be searching skips for a 2x4 and some nails to use as frets though. :)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1388780479' post='2326072']
ahem [url="http://www.bassgear.co.uk/product/4-string-bass-guitars-po/herbie-flowers-jazz-replica-2/"]http://www.bassgear....jazz-replica-2/[/url] :)

I would like a bass that sounds like the one the really cool guy who's name I forget played on graceland.
[/quote]

Bakithi Kumalo…
http://youtu.be/nAgd9Ijw6WI

I just don't get this signature thing. the only reason for a lookalike that I can imagine is playing in an into-detail-tribute-band. I don't see any sense other than this. everybody will always sound like himself anyway and the only signature I like to see on my basses is mine - which I do. :lol:

[size=3][b]
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=2326077"][/url]BetaFunk, on 03 January 2014 - 08:23 PM, said:[/b][/size][size=3]

I've had a go on a couple of Krappy guitars. Kevin at Krappy has just made me the 2-String Bass but it hasn't arrived yet. I'll let you know all about this one once it arrives but generally they are what they are. I know that's a bit sketchy but i think when you buy one your opinion is based on what you think you are getting rather than what it is. I hope that makes some sense. Whatever anyone thinks of them they are fun![/size]

[quote name='Musky' timestamp='1388784724' post='2326147']
Cheers. That's kind of what I'd imagined, and why I've not pulled the trigger. Sometimes the journey is more fun than the destination! I might be searching skips for a 2x4 and some nails to use as frets though. :)
[/quote]
I'll let you know what this one is like when i receive it. I've seen pics of the finished bass and it looks great.

My Reverse Jag that i made into a 2-stringer was a great success (even if i do say so myself!) so it might be worth you getting a cheap 6-string (plenty on the bay) get a couple of thicker strings, a bit of nut filing and off you go. There's even a lot of Morphine TAB out there for a 2-string tuned D-A!

[quote name='krysh' timestamp='1388788262' post='2326197']
I just don't get this signature thing. the only reason for a lookalike that I can imagine is playing in an into-detail-tribute-band. I don't see any sense other than this. everybody will always sound like himself anyway and the only signature I like to see on my basses is mine - which I do. :lol:
[/quote]
The only signature bass i have is a Verdine White Ibanez. I bought it because it's really a great bass, not to sound like him. On saying that even if i played that and Verdine played a clothes prop strung with some old rusty wire sadly he'd sound ten times better than me. :lol:

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1388787869' post='2326192']

Bakithi Kumalo…
http://youtu.be/nAgd9Ijw6WI
[/quote]

What an absolute legend. Boy in the bubble is just perfect. 100,000,000 bassists could try and put a track down for that and none of then would play something better suited IMO.

Anyone else fancy a Tony Levin signature 3-string Stingray? :D

[quote name='Grassie' timestamp='1388768271' post='2325875']
A Fender Herbie Flowers jazz bass would be cool.
[/quote][quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1388780479' post='2326072']
ahem http://www.bassgear.co.uk/product/4-string-bass-guitars-po/herbie-flowers-jazz-replica-2/ :) [/quote]
oh my god, i want that. Have it brought to my kennel immediately.

[quote]I would like a bass that sounds like the one the really cool guy who's name I forget played on graceland.
[/quote]
Didnt i read somewhere that he used a really cheap'n'nasty Washburn fretless on the Graceland sessions?