Why become a member? ×

Barefaced Foam Party

Dropzone

Here's the truth about BareFaced cabs:

The company is owned by a guy who knows little to nothing about designing bass cabs.

He uses components based on low cost rather than best performance.

He offers what traditionally sells, at the expense of what offers an improved performance.

He snares the foolish into buying his products by making them look pretty, even though they are average (often below average) performers.

He doesn't publish his technical specifications, making it difficult to understand the product he is offering for sale. Worse still, he even exaggerates and publishes barefaced lies about his cabs performance data, all to fool the gullible into buying his products based on looks and image.

If you ask for advice on buying one of his cabs, he lies to you to get a sale.

The most important part of his business model is to develop a brand image so that he can position his products as a premium cost item and take advantage of the veblen effect, whilst offering products that demonstrate inferior technical performance compared to other (sometimes even more expensive) bass cabinets on the market.

He simply continues to manufacture that which is selling and doesn't develop and improve his products.

He markets bass loudspeaker cabinets designed to give the buyers what they traditionally expect and never attempts to push to boundaries of design and engineering. He plays it safe every time.

Once you buy his product, you're on yer own mate - no returning the cab and getting your money back with [i]this[/i] company, should you not want to keep it for any reason whatsoever.

You can expect absolutely no after-sales service.

Frank. ;) ;) :) :)

Hey, I am not getting nostalgic for the times when a decent bass cab was so heavy you could barely lift it on your own. However, weight is not the main factor in determining what cab I would buy as long as it is not so heavy that I can hardly lift out of the van at the end of the night!

I’m not knocking Barefaced here, I heard someone use one at a gig a couple of weeks ago and it sounded fine. It’s just that I’m not bothered about whether I can lift a cab one handed!

Edited by peteb

If anyone fancies a change of scenery, they could pop over to the BigE thread on Talkbass. It's pretty much the same fight, only the names have changed.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/big-e-speakers-pt-3-a-1020840/

For the record I use a BigE MAS45. It's the best cab ever made and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise. ;)

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1387412341' post='2311799']
[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/big-e-speakers-pt-3-a-1020840/"]http://www.talkbass....pt-3-a-1020840/[/url]
[/quote]

That's very interesting. BigE seem to have solved the problem of on-stage cab audibility by mounting it on a pole.

The pole thing is for the MAS45-110 combo, the 45 is perfectly audible on its own. Elevating a bit does help on big stages though.
It's really worth reading the technical blurb on the BigE website:
http://bigeloudspeakers.com/faqs.htm
I've no idea what any of it means. The cab still sounds good, whatever the reason.

It's also very light. That's important. ;)

[quote name='Merton' timestamp='1387393157' post='2311536']
The whole thing is dull. People who defend get called fanbois, people who don't like them feel they're attacked when they put across their (sometimes ill informed) view.

Boring. Let's talk about something else.
[/quote]

Agreed. I think this thread (and the other BF ones currently running) have reached conclusions.

I should stop reading them. I should. I [i][b]really[/b][/i] should... :blush:

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1387408859' post='2311775']

The company is owned by a guy who knows little to nothing about designing bass cabs.

He offers what traditionally sells, at the expense of what offers an improved performance.

He snares the foolish into buying his products by making them look pretty, even though they are average (often below average) performers.

He doesn't publish his technical specifications, making it difficult to understand the product he is offering for sale. Worse still, he even exaggerates and publishes barefaced lies about his cabs performance data, all to fool the gullible into buying his products based on looks and image.

The most important part of his business model is to develop a brand image so that he can position his products as a premium cost item and take advantage of the veblen effect, whilst offering products that demonstrate inferior technical performance compared to other (sometimes even more expensive) bass cabinets on the market.

He simply continues to manufacture that which is selling and doesn't develop and improve his products.

He markets bass loudspeaker cabinets designed to give the buyers what they traditionally expect and never attempts to push to boundaries of design and engineering. He plays it safe every time.

Once you buy his product, you're on yer own mate - no returning the cab and getting your money back with [i]this[/i] company, should you not want to keep it for any reason whatsoever.

[/quote]

I don't agree with this. I think the cabs are very good. Sound very good (which is the main thing). I have questioned the price and (relative) quality - but I generally think they are good.

I think this post is very harsh and don't agree with it.

But I'm out. Like a lot of people, I'm now bored with the topic. As I no longer own or intend to own one, I won't look at, respond to, or read anything about Barefaced from now on.

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1387448100' post='2311975']

I don't agree with this. I think the cabs are very good. Sound very good (which is the main thing). I have questioned the price and (relative) quality - but I generally think they are good.

But I'm out. Like a lot of people, I'm now bored with the topic. As I no longer own or intend to own one, I won't look at, respond to, or read anything about Barefaced from now on.
[/quote]

In case you're still reading this thread:-)
I initially thought that that post was serious, but then realised that it's meant to be ironic. It's a fanboi in disguise!

[/quote]

Baffled.

Does this mean that the guy really has as little sense of humour as appears from his other posts, or is this a new uber-deep level of irony in action?

I can't believe I looked at this thread again...

but I did.

This all seems to have become rather personal and completely off topic.
I've no beef with anyone on here, including manufacturers of products (shed built or otherwise), who have been kind/stupid enough to join in. But i don't think anything in the last few pages is helping anyone (except the Anchorman quote - that made me laugh).

For those who own and enjoy the cabs in question, if you have any problems with them I recommend you go speak to the manufacturer before posting on here in future. I did, it got solved quickly and quietly.

For those who don't like 'em. fair enough. I ain't gonna go around slagging off your gear choices, so please leave mine alone, I'm very happy, I hope you are too.

:)

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1387408859' post='2311775']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I didn't think anyone would actually miss the irony in my post.

I've been a Barefaced owner since 2008/9. I think that might tell you something about what I [i][b]really[/b][/i] think about Barefaced products. ;)

Frank.

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1387471770' post='2312409']
I'm [s]very[/s] happy, I hope you're happy [s]are[/s] too.

:)
[/quote]

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1387558920' post='2313399']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-IkC3isMoc[/media]
[/quote]

Fixed

Edited by Billy Apple