Why become a member? ×

South East Bass Bash, Saturday 27th September: NEW INFO!

silverfoxnik

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='284343' date='Sep 15 2008, 04:25 PM']Greets,

As it stands at the moment, I'll be deciding on the day if I can make it - a tad strapped for cash at the moment.

If the bank balance smiles on me, I'll be along & bringing a couple of old Arias and (probably) the 1 x 10/superfly micro rig.

Here's hoping...

Pete.[/quote]
Hope you can make it as it'd be really good to see you there Pete!

By the way, here's an update on the [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=27119"]Workshops[/url]:

Back from sunny Spain now and as the Bash is fast approaching, here's some info about our guest speakers who are leading the Workshops:

[b]1. Joe White:[/b]
"I have been a luthier for nearly 30 years, making and repairing guitars. I started making electric guitars and then went on to acoustics. I make all types of mandolins, arch tops, 8,10 and 12 string guitars and even exotic ones like the Cuban Tres. Then there is always the bass player that wants something different. I literally cover every aspect of guitar making.

There is a difference between a luthier and a guitar maker. Any 14 year old can make a guitar but that does not make him a luthier. A luthier will tune the wood to pitch which is something special. I love what I do, it is a passion with me. All those who have met or know me will know this.

I have people that knock my door asking to look around my workshop, so I show them what I do and basically how a guitar is made. I always make time for people. Customers include members of Status Quo, Pink Floyd, Bill Wyman's Blues Band, Thin Lizzies ex guitarist Snowy White, Paul Geary (who has been bass player for Kylie Monogue, George Michael and Charlotte Church) etc.

The pro set-up that I will be doing at the show normally costs £80.00 but I will be doing it for £50.00 for that day.The guitar will be set up for the customer and not the man at the bus stop."

[b]2. Adrian Ashton: [/b]
My Bass Background
I’ve been playing for about 25 plus years, my playing benefiting greatly after graduating from BIT in LA in 1992 where my tutors included Gary Willis, Alexis Sklarevski and Steve Bailey. I have worked as a journalist for 10 + years writing for Bass Player and Bassist until 2002 when after a lengthy absence of UK magazines I took the plunge to launch my own bass mag, Bass Guitar Magazine. We’re just hitting our 40th issue now and so I’ve acted as owner, consultant (after selling the title) and editor - a job I recently returned to on a freelance basis.

In 2006 I wrote a book for Backbeat Publishing ‘The Bass Handbook’ and quite possibly another title will follow in 2009 (maybe members can tell me what they want to hear about!).

Gear over the years – 66, 73, 78, and 79 Jazz, Music Man StingRays 77 and 78, 66 Hofner Violin bass, 66 Gibson EB-3, Manson custom J and custom 5-string through neck, Washburn Bootsy Collins Signature Star Bass, 70s Precision, Pedulla Buzz, 74 Rickenbacker 4001, Gibson Ripper, Aria SB-600, big bunch of effects and Ampeg SVT Classic VR through AccuGroove is current rig but I also have an Eden Traveller and early SM-300 Trace Elliot Head. I thought I’d bring maybe 2 or 3 basses?

[b]3. Alex Claber:[/b]
This is taken from Alex's own thread about his workshop here:

"As I'm sure you could guess I can probably ramble on endlessly about these subjects, so in the interest of interest could y'all let me know what you'd like me to witter on about!

Alex

P.S. I realise this could be like asking a layman what specific areas of quantum physics they'd like to learn about but I'm hoping it might elicit some useful responses... "

[b]4. John East:[/b]
Brief history:

Started to play bass at the age 14-15. Played around with valves during teens, converting old valve radios to guitar amps for friends. Educated at art school keeping electronics and bass in the background. Played bass for a living in mid 20s moving over to pro audio design for most of working life, before going full time on the bass electronics, around 3 years ago. Have a great deal of experience in high end pro audio mixing console design, and that mind-set is still used within the East UK bass preamp designs.

Bass Bash Presentation

Illustrate and demonstrate the differences between the more conventional EQ systems and what are called filter-based types, such as the ACG. This will include some brief technical background in order to help illustrate how sounds relate to the technical aspects, but with the emphasis on the practical side.

A few users of products designed by East:

UK
* Neil Murray (We Will Rock You show)
* Steve Lawson
* Phil Mulford (X-Factor & Britain's Got Talent)

USA
* Stanley Clarke
* Richard Bona
* Justin Meldal-Johnsen
* Dwayne Smittly Smith
* Mel Brown

[b]If anyone has any questions[/b] about anything to do with any of the Workshops, including any [b]questions in advance[/b] for the speakers, please let me know. Also, if people would like Joe to do [b]any set-ups[/b] for them, it'd be useful for him to get an idea of potential numbers in advance?

Thanks...

Nik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='285540' date='Sep 17 2008, 08:01 AM']Hope you can make it as it'd be really good to see you there Pete!

Nik[/quote]

Wotcha 'Nik

I do like a Bash - yet to go to a duff one, always a great mix of thouroughly decent people & quality gear.

At the moment, however, it's looking a bit grim TBH, as there seems to be a glitch in my er... "government sponsorship" which could leave me stuffed for a week or two.

*** If *** by some miracle the DWP sort it out, I'll be down.

Has there been any thought from us Londonistas about a huge meet-up at Waterloo?

I'd suggest 09:45 to 10:00 under the big clock on the concourse. Thoughts?

Pete.

[quote name='Bloodaxe' post='285983' date='Sep 17 2008, 03:32 PM']Wotcha 'Nik

I do like a Bash - yet to go to a duff one, always a great mix of thouroughly decent people & quality gear.

At the moment, however, it's looking a bit grim TBH, as there seems to be a glitch in my er... "government sponsorship" which could leave me stuffed for a week or two.

*** If *** by some miracle the DWP sort it out, I'll be down.

Has there been any thought from us Londonistas about a huge meet-up at Waterloo?

I'd suggest 09:45 to 10:00 under the big clock on the concourse. Thoughts?

Pete.[/quote]

Alright Pete!! Good to hear from you :)

All I can say is that I hope the 'bass lord' is smiling down upon you and you can get there next week.. after all, who else is going to bring a short-scale Japanese bass with a whammy bar??

Nik

Looking at the Awesome list of kit I'm not sure I'll be able to bring anything of worth, but as I will be gigging the next day in Winchester My kit may as well make it's way into the car.

but looks like it would almost certainly be great fun to come down to.

Week & a bit left bump

List of Attendees so far:

01. Silverfoxnik: Roscoe Beck V, Wal Pro2e, BC Rich Eagle, plus I'll be bringing my DBX MC 6 Compressor and probably a small rig including my SWR Triad
02. Hamster: Lakland and hopefully a couple of completed BFM cabs
03. OBBM: a couple of basses and perhaps the Orangtino if anyone is interested.
04. NowVertical: GB Rumour 5, KSD 60's Proto-J 5, Mongrel 62 Fender P (now fretless with a J added), Acoustic Image Contra II
05. Happy Jack: a selection of vintage Hofners & a Verithin bass or two
06. Zach: spector rebop
07. Ped: with my usual babies (pair of Vigier Passions as I am sure you are sick of by now)
08. s_u_y: Fender Precision '74, my EBS MicroBass II DI and if my custom portable poweramp being made by Alien (Andy) is finished, I'll bring that too!
09. nig: SB-8 Chapman Stick
10. G-77: usual collection of Graphite maybe the Wal
11. Coasterbass: Lefty MM Stingray IV, Lefty Warwick Thumb V, Lefty Fender Jazz American Deluxe, Lefty Fender Jazz Hotrodded, Ampeg SVP-Pro, Eden WP100 Preamp and Schroeder 1210R
12. johnnylager: KSD 704 Proto-J with EBS inside, EBS MultiComp, Russian BassBalls, SansAmp ParaDriver, Aural Xciter, J-Lo fuzz
13. Gamble: Ampeg SVP Pro pre-amp with Harma and Philips valves, Samson S1 compressor, QSC power amp, SWR Goliath Snr 6X10
14. Merton: Status Retroactive Bass and my TE V-Type 8x8 rig (what about the Groove????)
15. Higgie: Lakland DJ4 & DJ5, Musicman Stingray 3EQ, Original Mutron III, Akai Deep Impact, Akai Headrush, Demeter Compulator, Digitech WH-1 Whammy, Custom Modded Big Muff, Way Huge Aqua Puss clone, EA iAmp 600
16. Alexclaber: will bring some of my new cabs with me!
17. Walbassist: 2006 Wal Mk III 5, 1994 Ken Smith BMT Elite G 5, 2008 Brook Otter 5 string ABG (due 20/7), Epifani PS600, Epifani PS112 x 2,
18. phil_the_bassist: Hartke stack (HA5500& VX215+VX410) and my MM SR5 3eq, Ashbory, pedalboard and whatever else I can fit in the car!
19. Mikey D: Ibanez GWB35
20. clauster: Omni15 (probable) and Omni10 (possible)
21. WalMan: Wal Pro1/Custom conversion, G&L L2500 (4+1 style), Markbass CMD121H combo, Possibly the BOD xT Pro & FSB, Marshall Superbass 100 head
22. peted: BFM Omni 10, Hartke 3500, Aphex Bass Xciter, Line6 Lowdown Studio, Warwick Thumb BO 4, custom butchered Japanese Squire Precision
23. onehappybunny: Fender Mustang (1976), DeArmond Jet Star, Warwick Katana, Mark Bass Jeff Berlin Combo, DHA1-EQ
24. andyonbass: a couple of ACG's
25. sixshooter: bringing a number of interesting basses and an interesting amp!
26. Nick Thomas: CS Jazz, L2500, and Eggle
27. Barneyg42: Jaydee Roadie Fretless
28. craigonbass: custom 100 Watt Harry Joyce (Hiwatt) head
29. stingrayfan: G&L Tribute L2000, Yamaha BB614, Stingray 4 (hopefully w/Status neck), and possibly the 24 year old 4x10 Trace Elliot combo (if anyone wants me to??) or my Trace head/Warwick cab.
30. Old Horse Murphy (if free): Shuker P5 and maybe a 2008 Fender P Bass
31. Dougal: GW #23, Carvin XB75P, F-Bass Studio
32. Kraken: his kit
33. Kiwi: Smith 5, Trace V8, GB Shuttle 6, EBS Neo212 cab, (maybe Smith 5 fretless, 2 other basses by request from other members)
34. urb: a Sei

With just over a week to go, here's a quick update on a few things before the coming weekend...

[b]1. Lenny B[/b]
Lenny sent me a PM earlier this week saying that: "If there's interest, I'd be glad to do a seminar/workshop/advice clinic at The Bash if people have any queries / issues that are music biz related"

It's a really great offer, so thanks Lenny for that! To give you an idea of the type of advice Lenny can offer, have a look here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2508"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2508[/url]

Unfortunately, we are already full up to the max with the Workshops, so I suggested to Lenny that if I mention something here, then anyone who's interested could reply or send him a PM and depending on the response, he could arrange to hold a 'legal issues' Workshop over lunch somewhere in the building, perhaps the bar? :)

Failing that, if we do this again next year, then maybe Lenny could do a full workshop then? As I said, it's a really great offer and I'm sorry that it can't be properly accomodated at this Bash..

[b]2. Bernie Goodfellow[/b]
Johnnylager's done a bit of work for the Bash and got Bernie interested in coming along, which is great news. I'm not quite sure what Bernie has in mind or quite how we can accomodate him yet, so I'm waiting until he gets back from Sweden at the weekend to talk to him to work it out. Ideally, it'd be nice to give Bernie a chance to demonstrate his amazing basses and some of his EBS gear.... Thanks John and more news to follow after the weekend..

[b]3. Raffle[/b]
I'm been meaning to post up some info about a Raffle for The Bash but have just been too busy since I got back from my holiday to get around to it. But I'm going to do something at the weekend and we're planning to model it on the way the guys did it at the recent Yorkshire Bash. If anyone has anything they'd like to donate to the Raffle or has any ideas for it, please let me know?

Thanks,

Nik

P.S. News on Rigs to be posted on the Rigs thread....

Edited by silverfoxnik

(Updating my stuff)

List of Attendees so far:

01. Silverfoxnik: Roscoe Beck V, Wal Pro2e, BC Rich Eagle, plus I'll be bringing my DBX MC 6 Compressor and probably a small rig including my SWR Triad
04. NowVertical: GB Rumour 5, KSD 60's Proto-J 5, Mongrel 62 Fender P (now fretless with a J added), Acoustic Image Contra II
07. Ped: with my usual babies (pair of Vigier Passions as I am sure you are sick of by now)
08. s_u_y: Fender Precision '74, my EBS MicroBass II DI and if my custom portable poweramp being made by Alien (Andy) is finished, I'll bring that too!
11. Coasterbass: Lefty MM Stingray IV, Lefty Warwick Thumb V, Lefty Fender Jazz American Deluxe, Lefty Fender Jazz Hotrodded, Ampeg SVP-Pro, Eden WP100 Preamp and Schroeder 1210R
12. johnnylager: KSD 704 Proto-J with EBS inside, EBS MultiComp, Russian BassBalls, SansAmp ParaDriver, Aural Xciter, J-Lo fuzz
13. Gamble: Ampeg SVP Pro pre-amp with Harma and Philips valves, Samson S1 compressor, QSC power amp, SWR Goliath Snr 6X10
14. Merton: Status Retroactive Bass and my TE V-Type 8x8 rig (what about the Groove????)
15. Higgie: Lakland DJ4 & DJ5, Musicman Stingray 3EQ, Original Mutron III, Akai Deep Impact, Akai Headrush, Demeter Compulator, Digitech WH-1 Whammy, Custom Modded Big Muff, Way Huge Aqua Puss clone, EA iAmp 600
17. Walbassist: 2006 Wal Mk III 5, 1994 Ken Smith BMT Elite G 5, 2008 Brook Otter 5 string ABG (due 20/7), Epifani PS600, Epifani PS112 x 2,
18. phil_the_bassist: Hartke stack (HA5500& VX215+VX410) and my MM SR5 3eq, Ashbory, pedalboard and whatever else I can fit in the car!
19. Mikey D: Ibanez GWB35
20. clauster: Omni15 (probable) and Omni10 (possible)
21. WalMan: Wal Pro1/Custom conversion, G&L L2500 (4+1 style), Markbass CMD121H combo, Possibly the BOD xT Pro & FSB, Marshall Superbass 100 head
22. peted: BFM Omni 10, Hartke 3500, Aphex Bass Xciter, Line6 Lowdown Studio, Warwick Thumb BO 4, custom butchered Japanese Squire Precision
23. onehappybunny: Fender Mustang (1976), DeArmond Jet Star, Warwick Katana, Mark Bass Jeff Berlin Combo, DHA1-EQ
24. andyonbass: a couple of ACG's
25. sixshooter: bringing a number of interesting basses and an interesting amp!
26. Nick Thomas: CS Jazz, L2500, and Eggle
27. Barneyg42: Jaydee Roadie Fretless
28. craigonbass: custom 100 Watt Harry Joyce (Hiwatt) head
29. stingrayfan: G&L Tribute L2000, Yamaha BB614, Stingray 4 w/Status neck, Trace Elliot 715 300w combo, Aphex Punch Factory pedal.
30. Old Horse Murphy (if free): Shuker P5 and maybe a 2008 Fender P Bass
31. Dougal: GW #23, Carvin XB75P, F-Bass Studio
32. Kraken: his kit
33. Kiwi: Smith 5, Trace V8, GB Shuttle 6, EBS Neo212 cab, (maybe Smith 5 fretless, 2 other basses by request from other members)
34. urb: a Sei

Edited by stingrayfan

Hi Folks,

Less than a week to go now!! :)

Here's a link to the RAFFLE in the For sale Forum.. Please have a look and buy a ticket!!! As they say, you have to be in it to win it..

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=27998"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=27998[/url]

There will be other Raffle prizes on the day as well for everyone who's coming along....

Nik

[quote name='walbassist' post='289181' date='Sep 22 2008, 02:23 PM']Just a reminder that I can no longer attend, so best remove my name and rig from the list.[/quote]
Tis a bugger indeed, sorry man.

Update dlist:

14. Merton: Status Retroactive, Groove 5 and Groove 4 fretless
17. phil_the_bassist: Hartke stack (HA5500& VX215+VX410) and my MM SR5 3eq, Ashbory, pedalboard and whatever else I can fit in the car!
18. Mikey D: Ibanez GWB35
19. clauster: Omni15 (probable) and Omni10 (possible)
20. WalMan: Wal Pro1/Custom conversion, G&L L2500 (4+1 style), Markbass CMD121H combo, Possibly the BOD xT Pro & FSB, Marshall Superbass 100 head
21. peted: BFM Omni 10, Hartke 3500, Aphex Bass Xciter, Line6 Lowdown Studio, Warwick Thumb BO 4, custom butchered Japanese Squire Precision
22. onehappybunny: Fender Mustang (1976), DeArmond Jet Star, Warwick Katana, Mark Bass Jeff Berlin Combo, DHA1-EQ
23. andyonbass: a couple of ACG's
24. sixshooter: bringing a number of interesting basses and an interesting amp!
25. Nick Thomas: CS Jazz, L2500, and Eggle
26. Barneyg42: Jaydee Roadie Fretless
27. craigonbass: custom 100 Watt Harry Joyce (Hiwatt) head
28. stingrayfan: G&L Tribute L2000, Yamaha BB614, Stingray 4 w/Status neck, Trace Elliot 715 300w combo, Aphex Punch Factory pedal.
29. Old Horse Murphy (if free): Shuker P5 and maybe a 2008 Fender P Bass
30. Dougal: GW #23, Carvin XB75P, F-Bass Studio
31. Kraken: his kit
32. Kiwi: Smith 5, Trace V8, GB Shuttle 6, EBS Neo212 cab, (maybe Smith 5 fretless, 2 other basses by request from other members)
33. urb: a Sei

News on the RIGS thread soon :)

Edited by Merton

[b]URGENT NEWS:-[/b]

For some reason, [b]the rooms where the Bash is happening on Saturday have changed[/b] and we will now be in:

[b]Onslow Suite 1 & 2[/b]

The Onslow Suite(s) are located in the [b]Academy[/b] area of the Holiday Inn site and The Academy has it's own car park on the left hand side as you drive into the Holiday Inn (if you're coming by car that is).

Once parked, you go into the lobby of the Academy and the Onslow Suites will be to your left. Access is apparently very easy!

There is a [b]bar[/b] and [b]restaurant[/b] close by to the Onslow Suites and also, a lounge area if you need a bit of quiet time or want to have a chat etc! :)

Here's a link to the Holiday Inn web page which has more info:

[url="http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/925/en/hotel/guisu?&countryId=0925&cm_mmc=mdpr%2d%5f%2dgooglemaps%2d%5f%2dhi%2d%5f%2dguisu"]http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/925/en...ps-_-hi-_-guisu[/url]

Nik

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='289812' date='Sep 23 2008, 11:55 AM'][b]URGENT NEWS:-[/b]

For some reason, [b]the rooms where the Bash is happening on Saturday have changed[/b] and we will now be in:

The Onslow Suite(s) are located in the [b]Academy[/b] area of the Holiday Inn site and The Academy has it's own car park on the left hand side as you drive into the Holiday Inn (if you're coming by car that is).

Once parked, you go into the lobby of the Academy and the Onslow Suites will be to your left. Access is apparently very easy!

There is a [b]bar[/b] and [b]restaurant[/b] close by to the Onslow Suites and also, a lounge area if you need a bit of quiet time or want to have a chat etc! :)

[url="http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/925/en/hotel/guisu?&countryId=0925&cm_mmc=mdpr%2d%5f%2dgooglemaps%2d%5f%2dhi%2d%5f%2dguisu"]http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/925/en...ps-_-hi-_-guisu[/url]

Nik[/quote]

Thanks for the update. I'm sure we'll be able to hear the action anyway!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='289812' date='Sep 23 2008, 11:55 AM'][b]URGENT NEWS:-[/b]

Nik[/quote]
Cheers Nik. Why couldn't they tell me that last week?! Sounds like we'll be a bit more secluded from the rest of the buildings which is a good thing :huh:

[quote name='Merton' post='289192' date='Sep 22 2008, 02:31 PM']01. Silverfoxnik: Roscoe Beck V, Wal Pro2e, BC Rich Eagle, plus I'll be bringing my DBX MC 6 Compressor and probably a small rig including my SWR Triad
17. phil_the_bassist: Hartke stack (HA5500& VX215+VX410) and my MM SR5 3eq
20. WalMan: Wal Pro1/Custom conversion, G&L L2500 (4+1 style), Markbass CMD121H combo, Possibly the BOD xT Pro & FSB, Marshall Superbass 100 head
21. peted: BFM Omni 10, Hartke 3500, Aphex Bass Xciter, Line6 Lowdown Studio, Warwick Thumb BO 4, custom butchered Japanese Squire Precision
22. onehappybunny: Fender Mustang (1976), DeArmond Jet Star, Warwick Katana, Mark Bass Jeff Berlin Combo, DHA1-EQ
28. stingrayfan: G&L Tribute L2000, Yamaha BB614, Stingray 4 w/Status neck, Trace Elliot 715 300w combo, Aphex Punch Factory pedal.
32. Kiwi: Smith 5, Trace V8, GB Shuttle 6, EBS Neo212 cab, (maybe Smith 5 fretless, 2 other basses by request from other members)
33. urb: a Sei[/quote]

quick edit to what I'm bringing...

Edited by phil_the_bassist

The Onslow Suite(s) are located in the [b]Academy[/b] area of the Holiday Inn site and The Academy has it's own car park on the left hand side as you drive into the Holiday Inn (if you're coming by car that is).[/quote]

They probably found one of the Bash threads with Google & realised what they had let themselves in for :)

Not sure whether to bother bringing the Marshall Superbass. It would belong in a vintage corner and I would need to beg a cab to fire it through, so......

Edited by WalMan

This is a bit insane but Phil_the_bassist has offered me the use of two extra bass stands. So potentially I could be bringing the following:

Spector 6
Smith 5
Smith 5 fretless
Celinder P
Celinder J
MM Stingray

First time I haven't bought any graphite necked instruments :)

Trace V8, GB Shuttle 6 and EBS Neo212 still coming.

[quote name='Merton' post='289192' date='Sep 22 2008, 02:31 PM']Tis a bugger indeed, sorry man.

Update dlist:

02. Hamster: Stingray, Line6 Lowdown 110 & pedal board
17. phil_the_bassist: Hartke stack (HA5500& VX215+VX410) and my MM SR5 3eq
33. urb: a Sei

News on the RIGS thread soon :)[/quote]

I now have a band audition in the afternoon so will be bringing something different. BFM cabs still not finished due to house move and having to fit a new bathroom - arse!