Why become a member? ×

South East Bass Bash, Saturday 27th September: NEW INFO!

silverfoxnik

[quote name='stingrayfan' post='277371' date='Sep 4 2008, 09:23 PM']Promises, promises...[/quote]
Sorry guys; am still waiting on one final detail to be confirmed before I can post up the info for the day.. With a bit of luck, I should be able to put something up tomorrow or Saturday at the latest..

Good to see you've been paying attention though! :)

...There's [size=3][i][b]OTHER[/b][/i][/size] forums :huh:

there's things OUTSIDE basschat :huh: ?

They still only talk about bass, right :unsure: jus' plain wrong if they don't!

And anyway, I uphold my end of the bargain with sortin the liftshare thread and he blows us out...Ah Recun it's thet thar Guv'nment Conspirisee :)

*edit* conspiracy false alarm, he's still with us!

Oi, Nick, you're not really cheatin on us are ye? :huh:

Edited by phil_the_bassist

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='277449' date='Sep 4 2008, 11:17 PM']...There's [size=3][i][b]OTHER[/b][/i][/size] forums :)[/quote]
I recently stumbled on one devoted to one particular brand of people carrier. I kid you not. It included a gallery section of said people carriers - that all looked the same!

Must be interesting on that forum:

1. You got the TDI SE - factory spec?
2. Yeah.
1. Me too.

Night then....

:huh:

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='277446' date='Sep 4 2008, 11:13 PM']What's dial-up then? We still use carrier pigeon round here.. :huh:[/quote]
Times is hard. We had to eat ours last week this end of LA :)

What do they say:
Give a man a fish & he'll eat for a day.
Give a man a fishing pole & he won't have to have it as sushi

:huh:

Edited by WalMan

[quote name='phil_the_bassist' post='277626' date='Sep 5 2008, 10:01 AM']I think we'll need some 250gauge strings and a 160" scale length to keep that tuning!

We can then pick a note each for the chord at the end, it'll be grrrreat![/quote]
I'll take the "top" C :)

[quote name='WalMan' post='277476' date='Sep 5 2008, 12:00 AM']What do they say:
Give a man a fish & he'll eat for a day.
Give a man a fishing pole & he won't have to have it as sushi[/quote]
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Hi Folks,

Here's a brief update on the SE Bash. As you know, it's taking place here:

[b]HOLIDAY INN[/b]
Clandon Suite 1 & 2
EGERTON ROAD
GUILDFORD, GU2 7XZ
ENGLAND

on [b]Saturday 27th September[/b]

Starting at 10am, finishing at 5.30pm (though we have the room until 6pm).

[b]Cost: £10.00[/b]

Any profits raised will be split between (i) Basschat and (ii) the disability charity I work for, which is The Enable Me Project (www.enableme.org.uk).

There are some key threads running at the moment about the Bash, so I'll recap on them quickly:

1. This thread - which in the main is listing who's coming
2. 'Rigs' thread - to make the gear issue manageable on the day
3. 'Lift-share' thread - self-explanatory..

I'm also going to add two more threads before I go off to Spain for a week on Monday, which will be:

1. SE Bash 'Workshops' thread
2. SE Bash 'Raffle' thread

To get you all thinking, here's a quick outline of the workshops planned for the day, though exact workshop times may be subject to change as I'm still waiting for everyone concerned to get back to me to confirm their times. These will all be taking place in [b]Room 2[/b], which is smaller than the main room..

[b]Workshop 1[/b]: [b]Joe White of Joe White Guitars[/b] (http://www.jwhite-guitarworkshops.co.uk/)

Joe is a [b]luthier[/b] and will be doing a talk on what he calls [b]'the black art of being a luthier'[/b]. Joe has earned a great reputation for his work and our very own OBBM has used his services and rates them highly, which is good enough for me!

Joe has offered to do [b]set-ups[/b] on the day for Basschatters at a discounted rate of [b]£50.00[/b] (as opposed to his normal charge of £80.00), but you will need to [b]bring your own strings with you[/b]. Thanks to Stingrayfan for the suggestion of having someone like Joe on the day!

[b]Workshop 2[/b]: [b]Adrian Ashton, Editor of Bass Guitar Magazine[/b]

Adrian has kindly offered to come and do a [b]Q&A session[/b] with us on the day and will also bring some of his [b]unique bass gear[/b] with him as well! Adrian is happy to talk about the kind of i[b]nterviews[/b] he has done and what it's like running [b]BGM[/b]! Should be fascinating :)

As well as all that, Adrian is bringing some [b]back copies of BGM[/b] to sell, proceeds of which will go towards the pot of money raised on the day. so if you want any particular back copies, post them up here so Adrian can see what is required! Thanks to OBBM for help with this.

[b]Workshop 3[/b]: [b]John East[/b]

I hardly need to introduce John I would have thought, but for those of you who haven't heard of him and his amazing [b]East pre-amps[/b], [b]J-Retro[/b] etc, etc - where have you been?? :huh:

We are very lucky because John is going to talk about his [b]different products[/b] and in particular, demonstrate his new [b]filter-based pre-amp[/b] that [b]Stanley Clarke[/b] is going to be using! As a fan of Wal basses, I am really looking forward to this! Again, thanks to OBBM for being 'the go-between'!

[b]Workshop 4[/b]: [b]Alex Claber[/b]

I have managed to [i]'gently persuade'[/i] Alex to talk us through the murky scientific world of [b]'acoustics'[/b] and [b]'speaker design'[/b] and I'm really pleased he's taken up the challenge! He'll be bringing his [b]self-built[/b] cabs to demonstrate and it would be good to hear suggestions of what other cabs it might be good to compare them to??

Personally, I have always been amazed at the [b]knowledge[/b] that we have available to us here on Basschat from other members and what's so stunning is that it's offered for FREE!! I've read many of Alex's posts on this subject and what with the many Basschatters using [b]BFM[/b] cabs and building their own, it seems to me that this is a subject we could all do with knowing more about!

Rough [b]times[/b] are:

10.30-11.45 Joe White
12.00-13.00 Adrian Ashton
13.15.14.00 John East
14.15-15.00 Alex Claber
15.00-16.00 Joe White

Joe will also be available to do [b]set-ups throughout the day[/b] aside from his two sessions in Room 2, should people want them.

Lastly, a couple of other things;

Whist I'm away next week, Merton & WalMan will be around to field any questions and just to say, they have been brilliant in helping make this happen! :huh: Also, if anyone else would like to help on the day or has any suggestions to improve things, please let us know.. Thanks!

Sorry for such a long post and I hope it all makes sense... but I wanted to get everyone thinking in advance about what they would like to do with their time on the day! The people who've offered their time to do the Workshops have also been brilliant and thanks to them for offering, but it's all about [b]YOU[/b] at the end of the day, so please come along and help make it totally, wonderfully, brilliant! :huh:

Cheers

Nik
[/quote]

Wow Nik.

The London Guitar Show should have hired you to set up the Bass Room last year, it would have been a spectacular success!

This is definitely worth making an effort for, I'll see if I can get a passout. My gear is all pretty mainstream so probably not of interest, apart from the Burman unless CK is bringing one of his.

Pete

Edited by pete.young

The thing is this...

This is the thing...

I don't normally go out in public but I am sorely tempted to show my face with an SX jazz because nobody else seems to be taking one. However if I say I will go I will probably come up with some pathetic excuse not to turn up at the last minute.

Maybe if someone near Hemel Hempstead would pick me up that would give me more incentive not to be a Larry Letdown.

Paul.