Why become a member? ×

Wal/Jazz mongrel

Beedster

Those of you who've noticed my ability to buy and sell Jazzes perhaps know that I love the tone but don't like the thin necks and clumsy body shape. Several years ago I also bought a Wal MK1 fretless and whilst I loved the feel and playability, I resented the length time it took me to find usable tones amongst the unusable ones and always found even the tones I used a little synthetic to my ears.

So there I was taking 5 minutes out of writing a paper last week and noodling eBay and up pops the below. Ugly as hell, in fact I dread to think what stories it could tell of its miseries at the hands of late 80's and early 90's luthiers, but it has the essence of the bits of Jazz I like and he bit of Wals I like.

If you're squeemish, look away now...........

[attachment=150182:Wal.jpg]

The original frets have been filed down to the board (!!!), the PUPs/circuit removed and replaced with some early 90's SDs with switches on the PUPs, and a monstrous piece of pale wood has been used to cover the work to the body. But, it sounds OK, plays well and as I've always found with Wals, feels beautiful. I've spoken to both the Bass Doc and Martin Simms about what can be done, and at present, given it was originally fretted, I'm torn between....

Neck: refretting the original neck and having a fretless matching neck made with an ebony board (I guess I could sell on the fretted neck to pay for the fretless as I'm really after a fretless bass here), or alternatively having an ebony board put on this neck

PUPs: installing some passive J-PUPs (Lollar or similar) or going the whole hog and installing some Simms Super Quads.

Either way, something is going to have to be done about the pale rectangle of wood around the PUPs.

I paid what I consider to be over the odds (but which others seem to think was a bargain) price wise, so as the deal involved a very nice Wal case I'm going to sell that separately to help pay for the work on the bass. However it works out it'll be a nice and unique instrument that meets my needs, I just can't decide which way to go at present.

I'll keep y'all posted :)

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1386629601' post='2302537']
I am normally not squeemish at all....but I am currently looking away!
[/quote]

Ha ha, these won't help then....

[attachment=150190:Wal 2.jpg]

[attachment=150188:Wal 3.jpg]

[attachment=150189:Wal Case 2.jpg]

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1386631076' post='2302576']
They did [i]what[/i] to the frets?!
[/quote]

They/he/it filed them down to the board.... Not unusual, although crap. The neck plays very well and there's no noticeable change in tone or feel at the frets. It does seem to be an extraordinary thing to do though.

The neck's in very good shape otherwise, so I suspect the best bet is either a refret or a new board. I'm not keen on a lined fretless with the dots in the wrong place.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1386631282' post='2302582']
I have those pups on my new bass.... worked out what the switches do yet? The SD website just talks about the later ones with 2 switches not the 3.
[/quote]

I posted a link in the tech section that explains them Luke. If you want some backups, I'll be moving these on :)

Surely it would be possible to track down the previous owner responsible for this" work" and bring them to justice? Instead of contacting Martin Simms and the Bass Doc I would be more inclined to get in touch with Interpol! This is a guitar crime the likes of which I have seldom seen. If this bass could talk , all it could probably say would be " Aaaaaahhhhhh!!!!!!!", or at or maybe just "Ouch!".

What I find hard to understand is why , even before they were as valuable as they are now ( fifteen years ago you could easily pick up a decent used Wal for £600) , someone would choose a Wal of all basses to do this to. It just makes no sense. It's like giving me a pair of fake breasts, a jug of custard and wig and expecting me to be able to perform a Liza Minnelli tribute act at a local holiday camp . This bass would never substitute for a Jazz Bass , even if you lived in Albania and had previously been playing bass on an egg slicer strung with razor wire and tuned down an octave.

All I can say is that my thoughts and prayers are with the victims of this senseless and vicious attack . Lets hope you can at least give this poor beast a dignified and comfortable existance for the rest of its' days .

The frets thing is not unique. A long time ago I sold an SD Curlee to an acquaintance and it ended up having the frets filed of to make it fretless with metal lines.

The good news is that it is indeed reversible as was the ownership of that bass and it's now back with me in all it's fretted glory, apparently none the worse for the adventure.

I think if you like the typical chunky V profile of the Wal neck, a nice ebony board would be in order.

If you wanted you could even go all retro Wal and cover up the nasty woodwork with a nice carved leather scratchplate!

Just a thought...

Cheers

Ed

Ha ha, thanks folks. i spoke to Bass Doc yesterday and he wasn't optimistic about a new veneer so I'd starting thinking along the lines of a real retro leather pickguard. I'm thinking however that some well applied woodstain might do the job sufficiently well to avoid the cost of this, especially as the wood work on this bass has in fact been very well done. Over and above this, an ebony board will make a massive difference, as will a pair of decent PUPs. Re the latter I'd originally planned to get a Simms Super 8 in there but they only install them into Enfields which is a shame, so it's going to be a pair of Super Quads which will provide a lot of tonal options (certainly Precision, Jazz and 'Ray, which is all a guy could want really).

It's going to be a very nice instrument, if not a Wal, but as I said above, I wasn't a great fan of the Wal sound anyway.

I did cringe a little when I saw whats been done to that bass, but at the end of the day, they're for playing, not looking at, so whatever works for you is the right thing.
If I was you, I would go for a pickguard to hide the wood insert, with the best intentions, wood stain wood help, but it'll never be a perfect match.
Some of the old Wal pickguards are big enough to hide a multitude of sins, and I'm sure Bass Doc could design up something sympathetic of the original Wal style pickguard that is adapted to hide the grizzly bits...

Something like this example below, with similar pickup locations wouldn't be too far off the mark and could be made with black plastic :)

Anyway, best of luck with it, I look forward to seeing how it all turns out!

Eude

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1386671806' post='2302787']
Wow... I'm usually a custom man but that looks fantastic...
[/quote]
Yes, I'm not usually a fan of Wals in the cosmetic sense (though I can think of at least half a dozen players who sound great with them) but this green one I am rather covetous of...

[quote name='muttley' timestamp='1386674164' post='2302832']
Skim the body and apply a thick veneer? Nicer looking than a piece of plastic. No disrespect to your Wal, Eude. That's a fantastic looking bass.
[/quote]

Not my bass, just an example of the pickguard I found online! I've never even played a Wal, one day maybe.
If a veneer is possible, I think that would certainly be the best bet too, but I think Bass Doc has already potentially ruled that out...

Eude

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1386674420' post='2302838']
If a veneer is possible, I think that would certainly be the best bet too, but I think Bass Doc has already potentially ruled that out...
Eude
[/quote]

Thanks folks, Howard (Bass Doc) suggested a full-top veneer but I love the original veneer - just not the pale rectangle in the middle - and would rather not lose it if at all possible. The pickguard posted above looks great but on this bass would need to be very close to the bridge to completely cover the mess. It might end up looking as odd as it does now!

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1386680694' post='2302974']
Dude, in the name of all that is holy...NO WOODSTAIN!!
[/quote]

It can't be worse than it is. Of all the questions I have about the modifications to this bass, the one I find hardest to answer is that of why put a rectangular lump of maple in the middle of a beautiful dark wood veneer? Stain's not the best solution for sure, but it's a first step on the path :)