Why become a member? ×

What is wrong with me?! Suddenly looking at R**s and Thunderbirds

Musicman20

My usual tastes do not usually extend to anything Gibson related, and I don't personally bond with the ergonomics of R**s, but I suddenly really want something totally differerent to my usual Musicman/Fender cravings.

I haven't played decent indie or rock for a while, due to being in the covers scene for a bit, and also playing more 5 string/fingerstyle stuff at home to learn new styles etc.

I'm now considering getting a totally different style of bass. Why? Well, why not....

I've been looking at:

R*c 4003
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson 2014 EB Bass (the new dual humbucker bass)
G&L L2500

Anyone have any advice about these models? I am going to attempt to try as many as possible.

I currently play a Gibson Thunderbird in a classic rock covers band and it sound superb. I have tried using my Fender P-Bass and it does not even come close to getting a punchy gritty growl .... when you try one you will be surprised how light they are too, neck not too chunky and the neck dive or lack of really is not and issue .... I also had a Ric for a couple of years, not as comfortable and wide neck might be an issue for some, harder work to get a great sound but one you have it dialed they are spot on. Used T-Birds are reasonable cheap-ish too, Ric's not so ! ....................... Unleash your inner rock god with a 'Bird :-)

Ric 4003 - beautiful, but awkward. If you are used to a Fender/ Musicman these can be very difficult to get along with. No taper to the neck , strings tend to hit the pole pieces if you play agressively, pickup cover gets in the way ect. All sorts of other niggles. Not that suitable for modern styles such as slapping. Great tone, though .

Gibson Thunderbird- another remarkable and unique sounding bass that looks fantastic... but try playing one standing up with a strap. They are incredibly prone to neck dive and general feel extremely ungainly due the the abscence of a tophorn in the body shape, hence making the neck feel like it is very long and making the first fret feel as if it is right at the very end of your reach. A very difficult bass to play. Gibson offered to give me one very cheap when I was in a band where the guitarist had a deal with Gibson. and I gave them it back . You couldn't get the action low enough on it for my tastes , either .

2014 EB14 - never played one , but looks to be a sensible design . To my tastes though, those MM-style humbuckers with the big pole pieces just don't look right on a Gibson Bass. It wiould look moch better with chrome shells.

G&L 2500- I used to play a G&L , and they are great basses. Amazingly powerful and versatile sound, very well-made and generally excellent design . Have lots of great sounds, but generally can be described as being like a perfect blend of the Fender and Music Man tones in one new and unique sound of it's own. Strongly recommended.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1386164297' post='2296587']
My usual tastes do not usually extend to anything Gibson related, and I don't personally bond with the ergonomics of R**s, but I suddenly really want something totally differerent to my usual Musicman/Fender cravings.

I haven't played decent indie or rock for a while, due to being in the covers scene for a bit, and also playing more 5 string/fingerstyle stuff at home to learn new styles etc.

I'm now considering getting a totally different style of bass. Why? Well, why not....

I've been looking at:

R*c 4003
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson 2014 EB Bass (the new dual humbucker bass)
G&L L2500

Anyone have any advice about these models? I am going to attempt to try as many as possible.
[/quote]

Welcome to The Silly Season - will all be over in a few weeks :lol:

Last first...

Make sure you have a good play on the G&L before you got one, the US version has a meaty neck, it sounds good but is a handful and IMHO over complicated compared to a MMRay5.

the Gibbos.....I agree with Dingus.

the Rick, very marmite, I have a love hate relationship with one. Looks the dogs but to many plays like a dog. However I get more compliments on the sound of my 4003 than my other basses. If only I could get my Status to sound like one....

G&L is hardly a radical departure from Musicman/Fender territory so I'm not sure you would get anything different other than another nice bass.

Not keen on the Gibson EB bass ergonomically, the Fender Dimension looks like the same bass but better designed (to me anyway). Probably a decent bass. If you are looking for a 'cool' but 'different' Gibson bass, maybe also have a look for a Grabber or Ripper bass.

Thunderbird. Very cool but generally very heavy and suffer from neck dive. Maybe look at the Mike Lull versions if you want to spend loads of money.

Rickenbacker is an acquired taste. If you don't get on with them to be begin with why bother? All it will lead to is another 'I went to try this bass and didn't like it despite it being expensive' experience.

Of those in the list I would get a Rick.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1386182949' post='2296886']
If you're after a T-Bird, I'd check out the Epi Classic Pro IV - neck through and Gibson pickups, almost as good as the Gibson but far cheaper!
[/quote]
I have one in natural. Love it. No neck dive whatsoever..... as I tend to hold the neck as I play.

If you are looking at Ric, I have it from a very reliable source that '72 or older 4001's are the cream of the crop. Mine is a '72 and I have to admit it rewrote the book for me on what I had previously experienced Ric-wise (I liked the sound but hated the feel). Mine is lovely to play.

Blinkin' 'eck, we all seem happy to pass comment on the EB, but I can't recall many beyond myself owning one :lol:

I'd definitely try and form your own opinion. I was going to remind you that I'm down the road if you want a try - indeed, Skej might still have one on one the wall of his shop still!

I'll wait for someone to say you need a P-bass, now :)

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1386202796' post='2297291']
Blinkin' 'eck, we all seem happy to pass comment on the EB, but I can't recall many beyond myself owning one :lol:

I'd definitely try and form your own opinion. I was going to remind you that I'm down the road if you want a try - indeed, Skej might still have one on one the wall of his shop still!

I'll wait for someone to say you need a P-bass, now :)
[/quote]

I was in York at the weekend n all!

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1386202796' post='2297291']

[/quote]

Tried one this summer at GAK. Like the style, liked the sound, feel was reasonable (sure I could get used to it) but found the finish was not very good (paint bubbles and don't like the satin paint they used). However I do note that the 2014 models will be Gloss (good) but no longer available in White (bad).

I had a Gibson tbird for a while,lovely thin neck,hence you see quite a few with repairs,mine did. Very nice bass,don't really know why I sold it to be honest. Have a epiphone t'bird at the mo,no where near as good but not as bad as the compared price would suggest. O and it's up for sale too so scrap that,its better than a Gibson ;-)
Nothing looks cooler than a low slung t'bird,nothing. Surprising have a very nice slap tone too

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1386164297' post='2296587']

Anyone have any advice about these models? [b]I am going to attempt to try as many as possible.[/b]
[/quote]

That would be the advice I'd give. Advice is good but can lead you in the wrong direct as easily as in the right one. Nobody else knows what will work for you.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1386198576' post='2297241']
I have one in natural. Love it. No neck dive whatsoever..... as I tend to hold the neck as I play.

If you are looking at Ric, I have it from a very reliable source that [b]'72 or older 4001's are the cream of the crop[/b]. Mine is a '72 and I have to admit it rewrote the book for me on what I had previously experienced Ric-wise (I liked the sound but hated the feel). Mine is lovely to play.
[/quote]

I'd certainly agree with that. ;) Depending on what happens with my Wal Pro IIE (I'll be moving it on as it isn't working out for ergonomic reasons) I may be after yet another.

G&L vote from me.

One of the better modern takes on classic sounds. Pickups are really good and one of few basses I wouldn't feel the need to modify.

Is also have a serious play with the new saddle lock bridge they are doing, not played one myself but the bass whisperers review of it is a eye opener.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1386203200' post='2297294']
I was in York at the weekend n all!
[/quote]

D'oh!

The finish on the 2013 is very thin. No bubbles on mine, but will relic nicely... which I'm assuming was the point, Gibson?

I didn't know they'd pulled the White/Cream model in 2014; but they did add a 5-string :)

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1386182949' post='2296886']
If you're after a T-Bird, I'd check out the Epi Classic Pro IV - neck through and Gibson pickups, almost as good as the Gibson but far cheaper!
[/quote]

This!

I'd just like to add that the newer Thunderbirds whether they be Gibson Or The Epiphone Classic have no neck dive!

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1386253027' post='2297738']
D'oh!

The finish on the 2013 is very thin. No bubbles on mine, but will relic nicely... which I'm assuming was the point, Gibson?

I didn't know they'd pulled the White/Cream model in 2014; but they did add a 5-string :)
[/quote]

Thats as far as I can tell because the Gibson website is lagging behind the announcements. As usual, no indication of what is available left handed either.

Even as a Ric-fan, it's a bass which I always suggest proceeding with caution, as the feel is totally unlike anything else.

I had a few months away from them this year, and when I got another, it was odd at first, and I've been playing them for a good while!

Like Mart said above, it's a Marmite bass, in the truest sense of the word. If the OP struggles with Ric ergonomics, then I would avoid - they haven't changed them (I personally like the shape and feel).

I haven't got an idea on the other options, as the only basses I stay with are Rics and P's! :([size=4] [/size]

Just go out and try them yourself, ive got the T-Bird (love it) and until recently had a Ric but everyones comments differ so much plus some are just plain wrong you'd be better off making up your own mind