Why become a member? ×

Curly lead = freedom!!

LITTLEWING

I tried the RockCable by Warwick RCL 30205 D6 C coil cable. Previously I used Proel Bulk cable.
It may be psychoacoustics, but I think that coiled made my bass sound even better - a bit more clarity and a slight volume boost. It's elastic, so I can move around. And looks utterly cool. As for now, I really like this cord.

Tried the Bullet Cable out last night.
It is superb. I expected it to feel really heavy but I don't even notice it's there...unlike the Fender Gold lead I've been using for the last couple of years which would get tangled in my feet or round my leg.
I got the transparent 30foot coil and it looks ultra retro....the rest of the band asked if I was planning on joining a glam rock tribute band ha Ha

some years ago I gave one of my ..erm...erm 'disciples' some advice that they were too still and shoe gazing on stage.
Lent him a wireless transmitter to help free him up a bit.
Very next gig I was shocked, stunned and amazed to see him spinning like a b'std.....nearly screwed himself into the floor.
Next advice was telling him he was moving around too much!!!

[quote name='Immo' timestamp='1386869800' post='2305758']
I tried the RockCable by Warwick RCL 30205 D6 C coil cable. Previously I used Proel Bulk cable.
It may be psychoacoustics, but I think that coiled made my bass sound even better - a bit more clarity and a slight volume boost. It's elastic, so I can move around. And looks utterly cool. As for now, I really like this cord.
[/quote]

It's not psychoacoustics. Its because the curly cable means that the electrons are going round the same way as the earth's rotation, which makes them flow more easily. Unfortunately this means that if you have a gig in the southern hemisphere you have to use a cable that is coiled the other way round.

Straight cables are fine if you're near the equator.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1385914635' post='2293545']
I bought a Fender curly lead 3 years ago. Took it home and it didn't work. Went back to the shop and they replaced it. Before I plugged it in I read all the bumf on the packaging from fender about how 'curly leads have changed' and that they 'don't 'suck the tone out of your guitar any more' etc, etc. So I plugged it into my bass and it sounded horrible. There was no high end at all and it sounded very muddy. I still have the lead but I don't use it any more. They sound bad enough with a bass guitar but I'm sure a guitar would sound horrible using one of these. Maybe the newer ones sound better I don't know?
[/quote]

Did you plug it into an Ashdown? :ph34r:

[quote name='Ziphoblat' timestamp='1387964297' post='2317516']
Did you plug it into an Ashdown? :ph34r:
[/quote]

Nope. At the time it was a Fender TV15. I like Fender I just think, from personal experience, their leads are sh*t.

This is the blurb they have on the packet. [size=3][i]'[color=#333333][font=open_sansregular, sans-serif]Fender® Standard Koil Kord™ Cables are not the typical vintage coiled cable designs from the '60s, with severely rolled off highs and questionable construction methods, but rather, a new interpretation that still does justice to the past without ignoring modern needs. These newly designed cables are engineered to preserve what is good about the original coiled cables, without the problems and compromises.'[/font][/color][/i][/size]
But the truth is, they sound as rubbish as they ever did. They're made on the cheap, in some sweatshop in the far east, using crappy components. So if you want to make a Genz Benz sound like an Ashdown, now you know how.

Edited by gjones