Why become a member? ×

For those of you who don't drive or live in inner city areas...

tayste_2000

What do you do amp wise?

I'm 29 I don't drive, one could argue I should learn but I have little need outside of music and even then it's not a huge requirement as I get to most gigs with my tour manager friend.

Anyway I went for an audition for a band the other day and there was no issue with me not taking an amp and that I could hire one, ended up with a Fender rumble 1x15 combo. It did the job but it certainly wasn't fun and then there is an ongoing cost if I continue in the band.

Now for a while I've been trying to have my portable rig as an iPad and a DI box and tonally I'm very happy and even with an amp this is my super portable fx setup but the idea is that most places will have a PA suitable for bass and it's becoming more and more clear (and I should know this I've gigged the area for years) that this just isn't the case.

Just wondering what people use when they have to walk say a mile or two to a gig or jam session.

I've been looking at some of the TC rigs with dolly's etc and just wonder if this is a solution but I can't say I'm a big fan of the tone.

So I throw it out to the boards, do you guys carry lightweight heads because there is always a cab somewhere? combos? just struggle? Get taxi's everywhere etc?

I'm hoping some guys from London who get to gigs on the tube will chime in.

Thanks

I don't tube/bus to shows if we're bringing backline - it's taxis all the way. I recommend the Addisson Lee app for your smartphone, they are cheap and have big enough vans.

Main rig is a Matamp GT200 and a Barefaced Compact. The barefaced is a lifesaver, the matamp is not.

If I wanted to get public transport, I'd go for a midget + markbass. Slip the markbass in the front pocket of my gig bag and away I would go.

We sold the car when we moved to London so I'm in a similar boat to you. I have a super compact eden 112 and GK MB200 rig that I take to practices when there isn't an amp provided. I can take this along with my bass on tube / bus or whatever. I also just got a new big rig which I've only taken out once so far, and that was out of my house and onto the pavement then straight into a taxi.

I'm actually buying a sack barrow this weekend to make wheeling my GB 212 cab around much easier, not that it's heavy just big... then I may attempt it on the bus! although not at rush hour... :blink: buses are much easier to negotiate with gear than the tube as there is no steps and there is a space for wheelchairs/buggies etc that you can put your cab in.

Finally I have a DI (soon to be upgraded) on my pedalboard so for gigs with PA support I can just turn up with my bass and a box of tricks.

For non-car gigs, I use an EA Wizzy 10 cab with a GK MB200 head. These fit in a cajon bag which I can sling over my shoulder and it's fine for hopping on and off buses. I do sometimes walk to and from gigs with it, but it's still around 20lbs so not everyone may want to do that. The volume works for the sort of level my band plays at (this is with Jen and the Gents, link below), if the room isn't too large and I'm realistic about the amount of deep lows I can use.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1385726277' post='2291531']
I don't know how anyone gigs without access to a car or van.
[/quote]

It's feasible, as long as you live in the town you gig in. Parking in my city is a nightmare anyway, especially if you need to be at the venue before 6.30. We do it by using house amps (when available), by depending on the venue PA or by using whatever compact setup we can transport. I do drive, but since I don't own a car I use the city car club or rentals when I need one. A well paying gig will justify that, especially if it's out of town, but otherwise I'll take the MB200/Wizzy setup along.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

Guest Jecklin

Interested in this thread:

I don't drive, and even if I learned anytime soon couldn't afford to run a car and would have nowhere to park it in my area of London.

When I played double bass all gigs were travelled to by either bus, train or tube and travelled away from by night bus (or tubes if eraly enough to still be running).

I built a single 8" cab that I carried around with a MarkBass250 head in a backpack and had my bass on a wheel with the stool strapped to the soft case
At times it was a ball ache - I'd always try and beat rush hour either pre or post, but sometimes I had to travel during.
It did mean I could have a few drinks after and there was no stress about parking etc.

I eventually ditched the amp and played entirely acoustically (which was possile within the niche music events I was playing at).

I'm now in a similar situation again, but this time I'm playing a contrabassoon (that's a big and heavy instrument as well) and I need to amplifiy this for specific sections of music (again it's a niche thing :) ).

I still have the 8 inch cab (but had flogged the amp), so looking into a new one and may go for a new rig and give the 8inch to my band mate (also amplified woodwind).

Really I want an ultra compact 12 or 10 inch cab with suitable head (or combo)
Money IS a big factor and it's only amplified for certain elements of the music though so the Barefaced midget and TECAMP puma 300 I lust after is not on the cards.

Guest Jecklin

@ CAmden Rob - One of the reasons I tried stopped using busses when lugging my gear is the Pram Wars that can errupt in the Pram/wheelchair bay.

One was so nasty the driver stopped the bus and the police were called.
That one didn't involve me I hasten to add, but even witnessing that is a stress i just don't want in my life :)

Guest Jecklin

Oh and I've been to a couple of gigs where the double bassist has turned up with his bass in a cargo bike.

Was well impressed by that and have thought quite serioulsy about it ever since, but then cycling is my main transport anyway when not lugging gear.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1385726277' post='2291531']
Next week I have an inner London gig which supplies backline so I'm going on the train, but I can count on one hand the number of times I've gone to a gig on public transport.

I don't know how anyone gigs without access to a car or van.
[/quote]

i have an 8 seater van with an xbox, 2 tv's that takes me to gigs ;) but its not suitable for jams and practices etc.

[quote name='merchant' timestamp='1385730961' post='2291599']
@ CAmden Rob - One of the reasons I tried stopped using busses when lugging my gear is the Pram Wars that can errupt in the Pram/wheelchair bay.

One was so nasty the driver stopped the bus and the police were called.
That one didn't involve me I hasten to add, but even witnessing that is a stress i just don't want in my life :)
[/quote]

Yeah they can be pretty violent those... The trouble with buses is that you have to share them with members of the general public :blink: .... never a pleasant experience. Maybe I'll stick to the taxi approach...

In the situation of having to use public transport I`d look at using my Markbass NY121 cab and pairing it with a Markbass Little Mark II. Then I d have the same sound as my current CMD121P combo, but in an easier to carry package(amp in gig-bag etc).

Or for a really lightweight set-up Barefaced Midget and a GK MB500.

A mile walk? Easy.

Bass and amp in the gig bag, effects in one hand and cab in the other.

I do have a fold up dolly too incase I really CBA but I find it's more trouble than it's worth (cording up the cab and pushing it around like a knob)

I could walk further but it is tiresome, if I had a lighter bass and lighter bag it'd be even easier. And I'm no hulk.

Oh you poor folks. Often my keyboard player picks me up in his estate. Sometimes I use my car. Other times I use my wife's car which is massive and could probably fit the band and gear in, in one go. Sometimes she gives us a lift.

Having said that, I have used that thing called public transport - bass in gig bag over back, amp in one hand, BF Compact in the other. It's doable, and pretty easy if you have the right gear.

An Ibanez Promethean 1X10 Combo, if you can find a good one, or one of the clones would do you right.
I think it puts out near enough 300W into its little 10" speaker and it copes with it very well and I used mine at loads of gigs in Edinburgh, and if you need to be louder, there's usually always a PA at that kind of venue.
You can always pop the 500W head out and use it with any cabs that are kicking around too...

I wonder how many taxi rides you'd get for the price of running a 125cc scooter on a CBT? Personal freedom and mobility is a fantastic thing. I live in the countryside and drive a truck but even if I lived somewhere where I couldn't have a car I'd have a scooter.

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1385913355' post='2293520']
I wonder how many taxi rides you'd get for the price of running a 125cc scooter on a CBT? Personal freedom and mobility is a fantastic thing. I live in the countryside and drive a truck but even if I lived somewhere where I couldn't have a car I'd have a scooter.
[/quote]
I can't think of a bass cab I'd take on a scooter though!

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1385913355' post='2293520']
[/quote]

IME car ownership seems to be one of the major sources of stress for people I know. I use taxis for local gigs and rehearsals where I need to bring my complete rig and I still haven't spent more on these than the cost of insuring any vehicle that would be big enough to fit all the gear I want to take, let alone purchase and other running costs.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1385916154' post='2293569']

IME car ownership seems to be one of the major sources of stress for people I know. I use taxis for local gigs and rehearsals where I need to bring my complete rig and I still haven't spent more on these than the cost of insuring any vehicle that would be big enough to fit all the gear I want to take, let alone purchase and other running costs.
[/quote]

Yep. We are on 2 cars at the mo but when the older one dies, we won't replace it. I work at home anyway. Costs of one car are £400 insurance, £260 tax ish, and say £200 upwards per year on maintenance, minimum. Obviously this exclude fuel and depreciation, but I won't included depreciation as the cars in question are 11 and 7 years old, so most of that cost is gone already.

I used my car once last week, for a 2 mile journey to my luthier and back. It's a luxury we don't need. For my 2 gigs in the last week I've got lifts in vans both times (city centre so easier). To be honest I can always get a lift to any gig due to where we all live and now I don't carry the PA it is easier. Only becomes a bit of an issue if I am on drums, due to size of gear. In any case, we would always have one car in the household, or I could hire one.

There, I'm sold. Think I'll get rid while it's still worth a bit.

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1385915138' post='2293553']
I can't think of a bass cab I'd take on a scooter though!
[/quote]

Barefaced Midget, EA Wizzy, pretty much any 1x10" and lots of 1x12"s would all pretty easily fit on either the pillion strapped down or in a large backpack surely? Then there's the floor for the effect pedals! :-)

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1385917216' post='2293591']
Yep. We are on 2 cars at the mo but when the older one dies, we won't replace it. I work at home anyway. Costs of one car are £400 insurance, £260 tax ish, and say £200 upwards per year on maintenance, minimum. Obviously this exclude fuel and depreciation, but I won't included depreciation as the cars in question are 11 and 7 years old, so most of that cost is gone already.

I used my car once last week, for a 2 mile journey to my luthier and back. It's a luxury we don't need. For my 2 gigs in the last week I've got lifts in vans both times (city centre so easier). To be honest I can always get a lift to any gig due to where we all live and now I don't carry the PA it is easier. Only becomes a bit of an issue if I am on drums, due to size of gear. In any case, we would always have one car in the household, or I could hire one.

There, I'm sold. Think I'll get rid while it's still worth a bit.
[/quote]

Fair enough, to be honest I'd quite like to be in that position. Unfortunately I live 15 miles away from work which would be a 15 min walk, a bus, a train and then another bus. Or £20 in a taxi. I couldn't live without my Navara, even if I only used it to commute then once or so a week I actually have to drive to work. Never mind that it makes shopping easier, road trips, holidays, gigs.

Interesting points, and gigging is a different situation for me from practicing. Gigging I've got access to vans and will always take heavy gear (though it would be nice to jump on a train and dep for someone)

I borrowed a Ashdown CTM30 last night which is apparently identical to the LB30 Ashdown do just twice the weight and £100 more.

I'm wondering if I could run my lightweight matamp 4x6 cab and an lb30 and get away with it or is the issue here when having to commute you need the amp in your gig bag and then you've got 2 hands for your cab if needed? The only other thing that is tempting is the TC RH250 between the weight, tuner and effects it could be very very handy as just something to have in the gig bag.