Why become a member? ×

Dead and Deader

cytania

Thought my strings had plateau-ed out to a nice dead sound after nine months but this week they seem to have found a basement below and it's not a good dead. Any advice from those who've had the same strings for years?

Guess I'll just have to change them… darn :-(

Before you ask Ernie Ball Regular Slinkies (Fluorescent Yellow Pack).

I also use EBRS's and had to change to change a 'dead' set recently - again after about 9 months on the bass. I would normally expect them to last about 18 months before getting to that stage. I hope they haven't changed the 'formula' on them. Having said that, there's still not many strings around that would hold their tone for 9 months, and certainly not at the relatively cheap prices EB's go for.

[quote name='Beedster' timestamp='1385591913' post='2290186']
IME flats get better with age almost indefinitely, most rounds get better for a while and then just start to intonate badly
[/quote]

IME the intonation problem with rounds occurs because the contact with the frets wears part of the windings which means that the unit mass of the string is no longer equal along it's whole length. I would have thought the same would happen to flats.

[quote name='Ghost_Bass' timestamp='1385658070' post='2290815']
WOW! I think i'm going to start selling my used strings around here! I change strings every two or three months (and i use D'Addario Prosteels)!
[/quote]

Me too! I use mine for about a month then give them a soak in meths for a few hours. As good as new if not better! If I do that a second time the effect is not so pronounced, so at that stage I usually pass them on to my school's music department....

But maybe selling them on here is a good idea? Then people who like "worn-in" strings can get what they want without all that "playing them in" gubbins, and I can recoup a few quid for my next new set....

Hmmmm.... good call! B)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1385643012' post='2290562']
IME the intonation problem with rounds occurs because the contact with the frets wears part of the windings which means that the unit mass of the string is no longer equal along it's whole length. I would have thought the same would happen to flats.
[/quote]

Fair point, I've noticed some loss of intonation on the La Bella E at the 8ve but that's about it, and they're five years old. Guess it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and might not be flats v rounds per se, or perhaps poor intonation is simply less noticeable with flats?

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1385738565' post='2291718']

Me too! I use mine for about a month then give them a soak in meths for a few hours. As good as new if not better! If I do that a second time the effect is not so pronounced, so at that stage I usually pass them on to my school's music department....

But maybe selling them on here is a good idea? Then people who like "worn-in" strings can get what they want without all that "playing them in" gubbins, and I can recoup a few quid for my next new set....

Hmmmm.... good call! B)
[/quote]
Do they smell after the meths treatment? I might try this.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' timestamp='1385817492' post='2292491']
I wonder if putting a couple of small washers behind the ball on the strings to move the worn part of the string off the fret would make a difference?
might be worth an experiment?
[/quote]

No. The problem is that once they are worn at the frets (and it won't be equal at every fret) the mass of the string is no longer consistent along its length and that's why they don't intonate any more.