Why become a member? ×

Pink Floyd me up!

iconic

Playing in a Floyd tribute band I can say that timing is king.

Most of the basslines aren't hugely challenging, but they do have to have the timing nailed to perfection as there is no escape in it!

Its also a lot about feel, some things have a certain "bounce" to them and have mixtures of light and shade in sustain of notes.

My personal favourites to play are probably "Time" (Dark side album version not pulse live version), I also enjoy the pulse version of "Sorrow" which has great use of Octave Pedals and Choris pedals. "Hey you" is stunning for fretless work and the runs in "Shine on you Crazy Diamond" are great.

Coming at it from a listening rather than playing perspective, I think Dark Side of the Moon has to be listened to in the dark from start to finish! I also really love Animals (and am trying to get Sheep into our setlist!). The Division Bell has some fantastic tracks on them with Guy Pratt on bass "What do you want from me" has a beautiful bassline and is another I am trying to crow bar into our set!!

I may be a girl, but I could talk Floyd all day, I love them, I do!

Kind of an aside but I came across this on the 'tube the other day.
A great live radio broadcast from '71 called "Meddled", hosted by John Peel.
Check it out if you have time..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw9eiYF6CXk

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

I quite like the sound of the bass on the live versions of Young Lust, though I thought that somewhere out there is a better version/recording. And Roger seems to miss the opportunity to do a bit more off a fill before the refrain comes in for the first time.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPqUprUXjwk[/media]

Another vote for Animals.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Okd3Oyii7E[/media]

Edited by Annoying Twit

You could always try one of the "Best of's" - like Echoes for instance
You get a bit of a cross-section of the music, that way

.... but somehow, you sort of lose the context, or "feel" of some of the tracks from Animals or Dark Side,
maybe because some songs sit well with their album buddies,
and not so well with other songs?

Another +1 for Animals from me, but my fave has to be Dark Side....
I did listen to it in the dark - back in my yoof ;)
But it might well scare me these days :o

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1385486724' post='2288866']
I always like Meddle . Gets overshadowed by Dark Side Of The Moon , for obvious reasons, but it's the record where the Floyd first showed they had what it takes to be something special , in my opinion .
[/quote]
+1 for an under-rated album

Dark Side or Wish you were here for me
A cautionary tale though:
Years ago I was discussing over a pint or 6 with a bunch of workmates our most embarrasing teenage moments.

My colleague related the time that he was lying on his bed at home with headphones on, eyes closed, listening to Wish You Were Here while here having a spot of er...
"me time" ;) .
When he came round there was a nice hot cup of tea on the bedside table.

[quote name='TLBX' timestamp='1385472738' post='2288599']
Always had a keen ear for Floyd. Blame my older sisters for that.
The live album Delicate Sound of Thunder for Guy Pratt doing his thing is super stuff, reason I bought a Spector in early 90s. Money bass solo and all, apparently he doesn't like his solo and loads of over playing and effectastic result. It was the late 80s so a product of the times.
Live album Pulse is a lot more refined and a fantastic mix and the whole of Dark Side to boot.
...Obscured by Clouds is a great over missed album also.
[/quote]

+1 for Delicate Sound of Thunder live. Brilliant bass playing.

Dave

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1385551728' post='2289505']
Kind of an aside but I came across this on the 'tube the other day.
A great live radio broadcast from '71 called "Meddled", hosted by John Peel.
Check it out if you have time..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bw9eiYF6CXk
[/quote]

That's awesome listened to some of it. Will listen through tomorrow as I have a bit of work to do at home and I think that would make for some nice listening.

Edited by icastle
Link fixed.

[quote name='lonestar' timestamp='1385730559' post='2291594']

.....My colleague related the time that he was lying on his bed at home with headphones on, eyes closed, listening to Wish You Were Here while here having a spot of er...
"me time" ;) .
When he came round there was a nice hot cup of tea on the bedside table.
[/quote]

Lol!
I like Pink Floyd - but they don't have that effect on me ;)

Ah - Floyd !

Simply roll your own P F classic by getting the bass and drums to do something over simple and too slow while the guitar player wails some masturbatory irelevance over the top for 20 mins. 30 mins , in fact. For extra realism - write the lyrics the day after your dog dies.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1386060863' post='2295052']
Ah - Floyd !

Simply roll your own P F classic by getting the bass and drums to do something over simple and too slow while the guitar player wails some masturbatory irelevance over the top for 20 mins. 30 mins , in fact. For extra realism - write the lyrics the day after your dog dies.
[/quote]

:D