Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Singer's comments about my bass tone...

solo4652

At our last rehearsal, I recorded some songs with my Line 6 Backtrack - the one with the on-board mic. I don't think I had the mic gain set up right and the result were some extremely distorted and, at times, pretty indistinct recordings. Because I said I would, I sent everybody in the band the recordings explaining why the recordings were so poor.

I've just had an email from the singer that included this comment: "The bass sounded a bit too clean. I think you should have some more reverb when we perform so there's more of a groove going."

I've asked her to tell me a bit more about what she feels isn't quite right. I don't use effects at all. Not sure whether reverb would give "more of a groove thing" anyway. Bass is a G&L L2000 generally on both pickups through a Barefaced Compact.

Any thoughts or comments, folks?

Steve

Edited by solo4652

[quote name='Dom in Somerset' timestamp='1385329361' post='2287071']
Probably just too punchy sounding in the recording for her, just tell you you'll turn up your pitch deviating ecto-phlanging phase disruptortonic doo dah pedal in future and carry on as before.
[/quote]

I've got a Behringer DDI thingy as an emergency back up in case I need to DI straight to the desk. perhaps I could take it along, not plug it in and make a bit of a show of activating the "trans-modulating tone pump".

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1385329628' post='2287085']
I've got a Behringer DDI thingy as an emergency back up in case I need to DI straight to the desk. perhaps I could take it along, not plug it in and make a bit of a show of activating the "trans-modulating tone pump".
[/quote]
Be careful not to tear a hole in the space/time continuum.

Edited by Dom in Somerset

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1385329767' post='2287089']
She probably thinks that Reverb will achieve what she wants your bass to sound like but really it's something else but she doesn't realise it.
[/quote]

Yes - I think you're right. Something about the bass tone on those awful recordings has prompted her to make the comment. I'd like to know why she thinks there's a need for "more of a groove thing" - it suggests that she feels I'm not keeping time or hitting the groove or something. I can ignore the reverb suggestion, but there's something bothering her.

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1385330060' post='2287099']
Yes - I think you're right. Something about the bass tone on those awful recordings has prompted her to make the comment. I'd like to know why she thinks there's a need for "more of a groove thing" - it suggests that she feels I'm not keeping time or hitting the groove or something. I can ignore the reverb suggestion, but there's something bothering her.
[/quote]

Best plan is to ask :)

If she think's that reverb on bass has anything to do with "groove" then she's definitely not qualified to judge what it is that's bothering her about the recording in the first place. She might think that it's the bass, but that doesn't mean that it is. It might just be the quality of the recording.

note to self: buy a reverb pedal, it'll make me more groovy.

Phew, thank your singer, I didn't know where I was going wrong :D

Personally, and being slightly serious, reverb doesn't always work that well with bass. If used, use sparingly. However, it'll never make you groove more

Edited by Marvin

[quote name='solo4652' timestamp='1385328315' post='2287043']
"The bass sounded a bit too clean. I think you should have some more reverb when we perform so there's more of a groove going."

[/quote]

Why not try it out? It would show willing to work with her ( even if she completely wrong!) . You may discover a setting that sounds half good or interesting ...or she might hear it and think actually the groove sounds tighter and punchier without the reverb :blush:

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1385330795' post='2287116']
groove.... she want's more low end and less high mids from you..... in other words - Get your bass out of my vocal range!
[/quote]

I've asked her tell me a little more about what she's hearing and what she isn't happy with. Interestingly, the guitarist says he prefers my Fender P to my G&L L2000 because the Fender has "more clank". When I asked him what he meant he said; "The Fender has more presence - more depth". Maybe the singer's hearing something similar. I'll take both bases to next rehearsal and invite comments.

Singer has given some of the best clob (mediaeval building material aka complete load of b****x) I have heard in ages. If you feel constructive / are good friend with singer / like singer / would like to know singer better, ask her to play a song/track where bass has the groove she wants. Otherwise construct suitable answer of own choice.