Why become a member? ×

Valve amp recommendations

Roger2611

Hi people,

Much as I like my Mark Bass set up I am still not convinced by the digital power amps, I think they lack the warmth of a nice valve amp so what do you recommend?

I owned a Trace Elliot Twin Valve some years back which was lovely....unreliable and heavy but lovely non the less.

I don't want an Ampeg as they don't seem to have a very good reputation for reliability and I have heard they way as much as a fully loaded Nissan Micra.

I want to use the Mark Bass cabs because they are light and sound pretty good to me so it will need to run down to 4ohms.

I only play pretty small gigs but we don't put backline through the PA so it needs to be of gigable with loud drummer quality.

So hit me with your best shot....please

Cheers
Rog

Hear what you say, but try a [u]MADE IN USA[/u] Ampeg V4BH 100W head.
You'll have to go second hand but with an Ampeg[u] MADE IN USA[/u] 15" cab, you won't go far wrong.
Been using this set up (substituting a [u]MADE IN USA[/u] Ampeg 4x10 Classic for big gigs) for years with no problems at all.

Shuffles away quietly hanging onto a piece of wood........

My suggestion would be to go try as many as you can. You'll get a feel for different companies nuances in the pre-amp stage and break-up modes when pushed into the red.. If poss, try it with your speakers or ones you're familiar with so you can hear what the amp is doing rather than the combination.

I'm still very happy with my Twin Valve combo and at this point (fingers crossed for next time I use it!) it's been very reliable so maybe you could revisit that route? The Ashdown CTM amps seem to get a good review too although I've never tried one myself.

Valve watts are often percieved to be louder than their solid state counterparts (even though it's all the same) so don't dismiss a lower powered amplifier in the 50-100w bracket. Many folks on here happily gig the little Ashdown 30w watt head with a decent cab to great effect. I have gigged with a 60w valve amplifier on a number of occasions including a ten-peice soul outfit.

Hope that helps. B)

[i]this [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/212666-trace-elliot-v6-all-valve-amplifier/page__p__2226414__hl__gareth__fromsearch__1#entry2226414"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/212666-trace-elliot-v6-all-valve-amplifier/page__p__2226414__hl__gareth__fromsearch__1#entry2226414[/url][/i]

I`d look at adding in some pre-amp pedal to add the warmth, my choice there would be a DHA (Dave Hall Amps). Fantastic at doing exactly that. Keep the reliability and portability (plus great Markbass sound) of digital but have the warmth and harmonics of tubes.

I don't think it's that simple (sorry Lozz)
I've used DHA, Valve compressor, valve preamp etc. and they do warm/dirty up the sound nicely,but without the valve power stage that 'bounce' you get from all-valve is missing. It sounds right, but doesn't feel right...

My Carvin amp is the closest I've got with the Class D types, (I found the Markbass stuff a bit cold and dull personally), but still it does not compare to the Sound City 200 head in the practice room. There's no way I'd hump that around to gigs though, too big, heavy and delicate.

The new Mesa amps looked promising, a relatively light weight all valve head, sadly it looks like they will be incredibly expensive.
The quest continues

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1384801952' post='2280930']
The Matamp fanboys will be along soon enough ...
[/quote]

Ooooh! Where do I sign up for that club?

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1384801952' post='2280930']
I've no idea how much a valve bass amp kicks out but I really want to try one sometime!
[/quote]

It's not the "how much", it's the way it does it. There's just so much more ... erm... [i][b]information [/b][/i]in every note you play.

It's like the old days of watching 425-line US television on holiday on the States, then coming back to 625-line UK tele over here. You're watching the same programmes, and they look exactly the same, only so much [u][b]better[/b][/u].

Shameless plug - I'm sort of selling my Orange AD200B here [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/222096-orange-ad200b-mk-3-for-trade-or-sale/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/222096-orange-ad200b-mk-3-for-trade-or-sale/page__fromsearch__1[/url]

I say sort of because to be honest I don't know what I'd replace it with. My only gripe with it is the weight.

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1384958329' post='2282780']
It's not the "how much", it's the way it does it. There's just so much more ... erm... [i][b]information [/b][/i]in every note you play.
It's like the old days of watching 425-line US television on holiday on the States, then coming back to 625-line UK tele over here. You're watching the same programmes, and they look exactly the same, only so much [u][b]better[/b][/u].
[/quote]

:D now I really want to try one!

Hi Rog,
I'm with Gareth on this one but then I have a Trace Elliott v4, so I'm biased!
Havent looked back since I got it & miss it whenever I use provided backline. Paired with a barefaced vintage it delivers a huge, warm, fat & mighty sound!
Buying new get a Matamp to your spec.
Secondhand look out for TE v4 or v6, Matamp, Hiwatt 200, OrangeAD200 or a Soundcity.
The only drawback is lugging it but the sound more than compensates, it just has presence.
Cheers,
Norm

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1384958329' post='2282780']
It's not the "how much", it's the way it does it. There's just so much more ... erm... [i][b]Distortion [/b][/i]in every note you play.
[/quote]

Fixed it for you! :)[size=4] [/size]

Seriously though, I'm not arguing against Valve amps, but they should they not be regarded as an oversized effects pedal.
If you want the amp output to be a true representation of the signal that is leaving your pickups then it's surely got to be solid state all the way. Obviously you spoil the Fidelity by then squirting it into a loudspeaker! (and using a pick-up in the first place)

Ducks for cover.

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1384960834' post='2282829']

If you want the amp output to be a true representation of the signal that is leaving your pickups ...
[/quote]

Aaargh!!! Good God NO!!! Have you [i][b]heard [/b][/i]the signal that leaves my pickups?

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1384960834' post='2282829']
Fixed it for you! :)

Seriously though, I'm not arguing against Valve amps, but they should they not be regarded as an oversized effects pedal.
If you want the amp output to be a true representation of the signal that is leaving your pickups then it's surely got to be solid state all the way. Obviously you spoil the Fidelity by then squirting it into a loudspeaker! (and using a pick-up in the first place)

Ducks for cover.
[/quote]

GEEEEEEEZ - how old are you?

Have you ever used a valve head through a good cabinet at a gig with a smokin' band?

IT AIN'T A FRIGGIN' EFFECTS PEDAL!

It's one of the absolute necessities of life!

(Strolls off mumblin' valves is better than transistors, Vinyl is better than CDs which are better than iPods, can't stand flash git slappin' harmonic so called bassists, bass is a rhythm instrument which should not sound like a grand piano etc. etc. ;) )

Edited by Jazzneck

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1384963727' post='2282868']

Have you ever used a valve head through a good cabinet at a gig with a smokin' band?

It's one of the absolute necessities of life!
[/quote]Absolutely! There is nothing like it - its positively orgasmic - standing in front of a 400 watt all valve rig - that feeling of immense power - the knowledge that however loud those guitarists play, you will still be heard - and ahhhhhh that lovely warm sound of valves - cannot be beat :)

Thanks for the recommendations people, I am gonna try an Ashdown Little Bastard head that PMT are getting in for me, I think the all valve route is the way to go, I tried an Orange tiny terror head against an AD200 head and there was no comparison the proper valve head just sounded so much sweeter, I think I will snap up another Trace Twin Valve if one comes up for sale, if not I may go for a Mesa Boogie head again if the right thing comes up for sale

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1384802734' post='2280942']
Hear what you say, but try a [u]MADE IN USA[/u] Ampeg V4BH 100W head.
You'll have to go second hand but with an Ampeg[u] MADE IN USA[/u] 15" cab, you won't go far wrong.
Been using this set up (substituting a [u]MADE IN USA[/u] Ampeg 4x10 Classic for big gigs) for years with no problems at all.
[/quote]

Any preference on country of origin for an Ampeg?

GEEEEEEEZ - how old are you?
[/quote]

Too old by far!

[/quote]

Yes, used an enormous Ampeg head, through an Ampeg 8x10, and it sounded great. All I'm saying is that that sound probably bore little resemblance to the "Sound" coming out of the bass. Of course this is true of most amps & cabs, otherwise they'd all sound the same, and what fun would that be? However valve amps seem to try and make feature out of a fundamental flaw.

If clean solid state amps had come first, and valve amps had been a later development people would probably be clamouring for the cleanness of an "old time" solid state amp, and bemoaning the "muddy" sound the new valve amps."