Why become a member? ×

Anybody recommend some good Blues or RnB, Soul Listening ect?

thebigyin

Hi Folks,

Big Blues, old School RnB, Soul fan ect.....familier with a lot of mainstream stuff but wondered if anyone could recommend any obscurer stuff Old or New.....like a lot of Funky Bass (not slap) more fingerstyle and love the walking bass lines something that swings/shuffles with a good groove.
Like Jamerson, Weeks, Jemmott, Shannon, Roscoe Beck, Paul Turner, Gayden, Porter, john Paul Jones, Fraser type players.
Thanks and Love the site by the way!

Dive into the Freddie King back-catalogue ... you won't be disappointed.

Also worth checking out Bobby "Blue" Bland.

Both artists are usually categorised as blues (Bobby drifting well into soul territory) but they covered so much more ground than that, and both seemed to choose bass players who could bring something fresh to the music.

Japan Axe beat me to it, but I would definitely recommend checking out Vintage Trouble. Great on CD, superb live. Other recent stuff I've been liking would include: Alabama Shakes, Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears and also one I found on here a while back: the track by Q-Tip called Man Woman Boogie.

As for older stuff, James Govan is a lesser known great (check out "Wanted: Lover" for some funky bass), Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes did some brilliant Philly soul. Producer Tom Moulton did a Philly Soul re-mix/re-master compilation last year which features 4/5 Bluenotes tracks, all of which are superb.