Why become a member? ×

Why is it so hard to find decent brass players?

shizznit

I have been trying to get an original soul/funk band together for the past 12 months. I have been very selective about the singer and musicians that I want to be involved and luckily they have all agreed to jump on board. I have a singer, keys, drummer, percussionist, a guitar player and myself on bass of course. I have lots of songs backed up and ready to go, as well as the guys that play keys and guitar.

But, I want to complete the lineup with a 2-3 piece brass section consisting of trumpet, sax and trombone (if possible). Why is it so bloody hard to find decent brass players that are experienced, confident and talented? Where are they hidden? I know of a few players, but not at the standard that I want. My girlfriend is an awesome sax player, but I don't want to go down that Fleetwood Mac road either.

I really don't want to start the first few rehearsals without a brass section. I can't ever seeing this band getting off the ground :(

In answer to your question I dunno, maybe they aren't inspired by your band or sales pitch or maybe your not paying enough to get the standard of player you require.

I'm sure there are a few on here. You will maybe have to try and woo them :)

Edited by Pinball

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1384500262' post='2277328']
I guess when most kids pick up an instrument to learn they choose guitar because it's cooler (and cheaper to get started). Maybe they should come out with a 'Trumpet Hero' computer game to make it more popular.
[/quote]

I think this is one major reason, it just isn't a cool instrument when your a kid but when your older you realise how 'cool' it is to be able to play sax and trumpet etc.

I have been lucky enough to play in a couple of bands with brass and still do with one band. Speaking to them it seems a lot of players are not very interested in, or familiar with playing 'commercial' music like soul and pop. The guys I know were all pushed into orchestral playing when they are younger and said a plot of people they know either never move out of that genre or give up playing all together as they get older.

I personally think more schools should do what mine did. We had a school pop/soul band, and had kids from the orchestra come in and play with us. Once the band was going, so many more kids wanted to at trumpet, sax, trombone because they saw a more fun and enjoyable outlet than just playing in an orchestra.

Edited by NJE

As a Brass player, I have to confirm it is not a 'cool' instrument to play anymore. I think Sax still is (but thats Woodwind :-P).

Brass players seem to generally come from families with a jazz background or brass band (I am the latter). My Grandad, my dad, my brother and me all played in Brass Bands - however none of us do now (Grandad died in the 90s). I did have a brief run with a local carnival band (those from Bournemouth will know the one I mean - assuming they are still around) which was great fun but I think that is the last time I have picked up a cornet/trumpet/flugel horn/tenor horn.

Does South Wales have a brass band history. I would assume so (with the collieries) but perhaps that is more northern england?

Around the Midlands it seems that bands involving brass have recently become quite popular. There have always been some, but there seem to be a lot more around now doing ska, soul, etc. I've even considered getting out my trombone that has been in its case for the last 30 years. (I passed grade 8 on it back in the day!)

The trouble is, if you're not regularly playing in a band they are not the sort of instruments you just pick up and have a blow of an evening: certainly not like strumming a guitar or tinkling on a keyboard. They tend to be the sort of instruments that people play while at school but then find something much sexier (like bass guitars) to play when they grow up.

There are also probably not enough bands around to sustain a healthy population of brass players & any that can play have probably already been snapped up.

Don't bother with getting brass band players - they can't improvise or work things out by ear.
In Cardiff I just checked out the jazz scene and approached players I liked.
Through that I got to know the students on the Jazz course at RWMCD and they are EXCELLENT.
I could recommend some people if you like as long as you don't thieve from my brass section!

Because they are so expensive... they can eailiy get £350 for a sax/trumpet section on a sat, so they aren't looking to dilute that. I'll pay half that for a friday for the same pair. Also, they are readers, expect you to have a pad for them...( they will have their own, so again, no rehearsals.) They will only break the rehearsal rule if there is a chance of repeat business. I suggest you get the set together... make up some basic charts and offer them a gig... and they will sound you out at that gig and decide to do more..or not. Accept that anyone any good..and you really want someone very good... will be busy.. very busy. You can't knock them fo that. They also want more of a busking set where they feature a good few times... They do this and want this...because they can.. and you'll want them to be this sort of asset as you're paying for it. Anyone you bring in on this basis needs to ADD to the show to make it worthwhile. The other thing that you will struggle against... is numbers V fee. The reason there are so many 3 pieces around are because you max the split. and conversley... a 7-8 piece band needs £350 plus gigs which is tough in a pub. They'll pay it ..but they need the return Most guys round here insist on £50's minimum ( that is band players, not horns )and that is for local... anything more and there is travel exes...

And you will need to be prepared to lose them to a better gig... and put a dep in...that is ok, as you are now in the realms of very good players dropping in and out but since they all read, not a problem.

Edited by JTUK

I've been in a couple of soul bands with 3/4 piece horn sections and never had a problem finding people.

Could have been a 'London thing' I guess.

In general terms it was easiest to get alto sax, followed by tenor (obviously many play both), not as many baritone players around. Trumpeters not bad, although quality sometimes patchy, and really good slide trombone players were quite tough to track down.

Get a pair of saxes, trumpet and a trombone working really well together and nothing comes close :)

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1384540749' post='2278012']
This may have been mentioned , but if you can get the core band up and running with structures, then attracting good brass players to join in on already established material might be easier ?
[/quote]

That's what we did...

Where are you based ?

Have you thought about advertising at your local music college ?

I occasionally play in band that has an amazing horn section. The trombone and trumpet player met at Birmingham conservatoire, I met them through a guitar player friend.

My band was basically started by a couple of music teachers at the local poly. We have a 2 piece brass section of sax/trumpet (plus our guitarist plays trumpet on other songs) but it took a hell of a long time to find the trumpet player. Our music teachers and our brass section are all very good at charting stuff out, so I just tend to turn up and get handed sheets..
Every brass player I know around the area is in 2/3 bands and are busy as hell. There are a number who play in SKA bands, but they are all interchangable and dep for each other on a weekly basis.

Well, I have found a really good sax player via one of my partners friends and a 'maybe' from a trumpet player that plays for a big brass band and wants to get more creative away from that band. The sax player might know of a good trombone player and has sent him a demo of a few songs that I have written, but no contact yet. Still work to be done and a lot of organisation, but I am hoping to assemble to the band for a first rehearsal in the new year.

It's not even the difficulty of finding someone who is competent and experienced but also the added difficulty of finding someone you can get on with and the right attitude. I play a guitar and bass and record my own material, and have the same problem when I need to find someone for a once off project eg. a singer, keys player or drummer. It just always seems difficult to get the perfect person, but when you do it makes life so much easier...