Why become a member? ×

John Mc Vie Has Cancer

Hobbayne

And has cancelled the Australian tour. :(
Get well soon John
[url="http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music/fleetwood-mac-cancel-aussie-tour-due-to-the-illhealth-of-john-mcvie/story-e6frfn09-1226747818854"]http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/music/fleetwood-mac-cancel-aussie-tour-due-to-the-illhealth-of-john-mcvie/story-e6frfn09-1226747818854[/url]

I'm a massive Mac fan , in all it's differing forms , and the news about John is an absolute sickener. A far better bass player than folk give him credit for - just listen to 'Go Your Own Way' and imagine what a dull little thing it would be without that bass part.

On top of that his line from the Chain is the only bass riff I know that get's you a charity box fine if you're caught playing it in music shops !

Legend - get well soon , chief.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1382894216' post='2257670']
Lee Sklar or Pino could always stand in...but lets hope he has a speed recovery.
[/quote]

I'm sure any number of people could stand there and play the notes but that's not the point.

I've only been in my band 13 years - never mind 46 - and I'm buggered if I'd get on stage with some other herbert while one of my band mates was seriously ill.

As it turns out - one of our band wives is having surgery for cancer this very morning , hence our cancelling yesterday's gig so she could spend the day with her hub. As I said to her yesterday - 'Get rid , get better ....... and get the kettle on , I'll be round to steal your hob nobs soon enough'.

This is really terrible news.

I saw their great gig in O2 Dublin a few weeks back. John was coughing quite a lot and didn't seem in best of health.

Have always loved Fleetwood Mac right back from the Peter Green era. Being the bass player in a Fleetwood Mac Tribute for last few years I have studied his playing closely and come to really appreciate his understated and underated contribution to Fleetwood Mac. He is a giant. Glad they are not continuing their world tour without John as a session dude would just not be the same!

Thoughts are with him in his battle against cancer. Wishing John a full recovery.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1382948145' post='2258162']
I'm sure any number of people could stand there and play the notes but that's not the point.
[/quote]

I respect your perspective Dave but will also point out that it was good enough for Toto (Mike Pocaro), Journey (hip replacement for Steve Perry), AC/DC (post mortem), Rolling Stones (post mortem), Metallica (post mortem) and The Who (post mortem x2) amongst others. I suggest there's no black and white position based on precedent.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1382954135' post='2258275']
I respect your perspective Dave but will also point out that it was good enough for Toto (Mike Pocaro), Journey (hip replacement for Steve Perry), AC/DC (post mortem), Rolling Stones (post mortem), Metallica (post mortem) and The Who (post mortem x2) amongst others. I suggest there's no black and white position based on precedent.
[/quote]

Agree, but the band is called Fleetwood Mac. It would only be Fleetwood left from the original line up. Also the bands you have mentioned do not have the bassists name as the groups name.

Edited by Hobbayne

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1382961870' post='2258405']

Agree, but the band is called Fleetwood Mac. It would only be Fleetwood left from the original line up. Also the bands you have mentioned do not have the bassists name as the groups name.
[/quote]

There was a Fleetwood Mac with no Mac or Fleetwood in it for a time.

And there was no Mac in the original line up - Bob Brunning being the band's first bassist.

[quote name='BassManGraham' timestamp='1382952668' post='2258251']
I have studied his playing closely and come to really appreciate his understated and underated contribution to Fleetwood Mac.
[/quote]

I completely agree. People have been commenting on his playing with Fleetwood Mac (naturally !), but dont forget that he is also an amazing blues bassist too. Granted Fleetwood Mac played blues in the early days, but it is not what they are generally known for. His contribution to albums by John Mayall's "Bluesbreakers" should not go without a mention, especially the iconic "Beano" album where he plays with Mayall and Clapton.

Edited by Coilte