Why become a member? ×

Stingray Sound

CamdenRob

Ended up in the Blues bar in Camden Saturday night. A band were on called the Frank Ash Band (I think) and the bass player had a stingray.

Sounded absolutely fantastic. Punchy and smooth, cut through beautifully... Looked modern, single pick up, 3 EQ type thing to me, although the couple of hours I'd spent in cottons rhum shack prior to the gig had made things a little hazy...

Want one now...

Rob

Edited by CamdenRob

I use to own a 4 string stingray 3 band EQ. Excellent sounded bass and fantastic tone in the mix and when playing with the band. It cut through nicely, but it sounded terrible on its own, but thats not the reason i sold it. It sold it because i wanted a nice 5 string ACG.

But if money is not an issue, i will buy one again or even the musicman sub.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1382337535' post='2250664']
Ended up in the Blues bar in Camden Saturday night. A band were on called the Frank Ash Band (I think) and the bass player had a stingray.

Sounded absolutely fantastic. Punchy and smooth, cut through beautifully... Looked modern, single pick up, 3 EQ type thing to me, although the couple of hours I'd spent in cottons rhum shack prior to the gig had made things a little hazy...

Want one now...

Rob
[/quote]

I have a friend who has Vintage Fenders, G & Ls, Gibsons and his stingray always sounds the best in a band context.

[quote name='CamdenRob' timestamp='1382337535' post='2250664']

Want one now...

Rob
[/quote]

And another one sees the light :lol:

I used my Musicman Sub (US version) tonight in rehearsal. It was its first outing (with me anyway) and I quite enjoyed the sound.

I kept both the bass and treble rolled back about 30% and treble right off for a reggae number. I'll have to spend a little more time and a few gigs with this bass to get to know it better but so far, I like what I hear.

Frank.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1382473922' post='2252703']
Get that bass boosted machinehead! :D
[/quote]

No, no, he has it just right! That's the sweet spot I like too :) I may boost bass a "tiny" bit more than that, but that's all, certainly less than 50% of the pot's travel. That way it seems to have a stronger midrange.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1382478688' post='2252788']

No, no, he has it just right! That's the sweet spot I like too :) I may boost bass a "tiny" bit more than that, but that's all, certainly less than 50% of the pot's travel. That way it seems to have a stronger midrange.
[/quote]

This is my first stingray - I have no experience gigging a stingray and I haven't read about the tone settings folks use. Hearing a 2EQ stingray at a gig a few months ago was almost like the moment I realised I loved the precision sound.

At rehearsal I did think that using both tones at full on gave a scooped sound and I preferred keeping the bass and treble rolled off a bit. Time and experience might change my thinking though. We'll see...

Frank.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1382510985' post='2252923']
Don't boost the treble, maybe a tiny but not as much as the bass, go on you will love it :D
[/quote]

I definitely agree with you on that one! :)

The thing is the controls are pretty interactive. I think the people who say the Stingray is too scooped must have boosted both treble and bass fully, which is clearly scooped. As you roll down the bass, the characteristic Stingray midrange starts to be more prominent. The position of the treble knob affects this, but unlike the bass control, which can give a sound I like in any position, the treble is too much beyond 50% or so, and I normally have it a lot lower than that.

Experiment!

After playing a Jazz mostly for teh past few weeks, last night I rehearsed with the Stingray.
I'm in love :heart:

I start to miss the stingray now. I use to own one but trade it for a ACG 5 string instead because i need a 5 string and the ray is not suitable on the music i play ......

I really miss the ray now, but is too expensive to buy another one. Might need to keep my eye out on a old MM Sub instead.

I never boost the treble on the stingray when i use it in the pass, in fact i only boost the bass a little and i ready to go.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1382478209' post='2252777']
I love the sound of a Stingray, except when I`m playing one :(
[/quote]

+1.

Tried one again (for the 100th time) the other day and hated it. Again. The only available frequencies were ones I didn't want. I just seem to make them sound terrible, same as I do with Jazzes and Statii.

I also played a Fender Starcaster bass which suited me waaaaaaay more. Loved that (despite the headstock!).

They just press against the strings the same as putting a foam block down there like the Motown players did, turn the screws to engage. Only on pre eb basses, new classicrays and Ernie ball basses up to around 1990 ish although the bridge with the holes for then carried on for a while after and you can fit a mute kit for £25.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1382597632' post='2254018']
They just press against the strings the same as putting a foam block down there like the Motown players did, turn the screws to engage. Only on pre eb basses, new classicrays and Ernie ball basses up to around 1990 ish although the bridge with the holes for then carried on for a while after and you can fit a mute kit for £25.
[/quote]

Oh I see, thanks for that... So long as they are easy to disengage. Might be fun to have the option but I'm not sure I could go for a permenantly muted bass.

Those classics are looking very appealing...

Edited by CamdenRob

The mutes are on all basses up to about 94 incl Sterlings. Then the same bridge was used with the mute plate removed for a couple of years. The 20th anni Ray introduced a shorter bridge without the mutes followed through to standard production from then to date. All classic basses have them - Sabre Ray and Strtling.

They are so easy to use I have wound them on during sets, and remember this is major flexibility - just using them on the E is great for slap - wind them on a little for a slight muted sound - all the way for real Motown thump but combined with sort of clarity live you expect on a recorded P bass.

I've used them for recording and they make things really thumpy.

The mute rubbers they used on pre EBs used to fall off - the one on my G fell off on about the third gig I did with it about 1980 - if you look at pics of pino in the early. 80s one of his is missing. Not uncommon to find pre EBs with the whole lot missing these days. Just a little pointer to how manufacturing and materials have improved since the 50s 60s 70s! Those of us who had cars back then vividly remember - switches and sun visors could come off in your hand lol! Imagine the mechanicals!!!